Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
“A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." Watching the Star Wars films
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 324570" data-attributes="member: 23"><p style="text-align: center"><strong><span style="font-size: 22px">Episode I: The Phantom Menace</span></strong></p> <p style="text-align: center"></p> <p style="text-align: center"><em>continued</em></p> <p style="text-align: center"></p><p></p><p></p><p>With the live action cast, brand new characters and returnees fared better with me than younger recasts of those we know. </p><p></p><p>Liam Neeson was really good as Qui-Gon Jinn. Natalie Portman’s queen was worth the entry for her breathtaking series of elaborate costumes and outrageous hairpieces alone. I was dreading Darth Maul, with Ray Park being the worst thing about the first<em> X-Men</em> film (exacerbated by him being such a vapid interviewee in the DVD bonus features), but actually I really like the character of Maul. Visually he looks appropriately sinister, with Park himself hidden by the elaborate makeup and the (mercifully) dubbed dialogue. Turns out I really enjoyed what the character brought to this film. </p><p></p><p>On the other hand, while Ewan McGregor’s performance was probably fine, the the thing I couldn’t quite get past was that I know what a young Alec Guinness looks and sounds like, and McGregor isn’t it. His version of an RP accent was acceptable enough (the voiceless fricative on words like “with” gave away his Scottish origins, but it was pretty convincing other than that), but he still didn’t sound like Guinness. All through the film I’d simply look at him and see Ewan McGregor, which became distracting (Samuel L. Jackson’s presence had a similar effect because he’s still so glaringly Samuel L. Jackson). </p><p></p><p>As with Obi-Wan, I found it difficult to equate blonde, all-American kid Anakin with Darth Vader. And yes, I know that’s the point, since his arc will be the key one of this trilogy, and it also makes sense that he’s somewhat reminiscent of a younger Luke. Let’s say I’m on the fence having struggled to put the pieces together, but I’m keeping an open mind, and I know he’ll be recast with an older actor in future films anyway. </p><p></p><p>As mentioned, Anthony Daniels brings familiarity. There’s also Frank Oz as Yoda.</p><p></p><p>The very best of the film’s returnees is Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine/Darth Sidious (later to become Vader’s master, The Emperor. His familiar features really help tie things together, and he gives a terrific performance as the viper in the nest. He has a great look with his pronounced forehead and the widow’s peak billowing out to become a fearsome crown of wavy hair. The overall effect is slightly Hammer horror vampiric. Or perhaps Mom from <em>Futurama</em>. It’s very memorable. </p><p></p><p>McDiarmid is one of a number of British character actors who keep this film the right side of watchable. Terence Stamp and Oliver Ford Davies are just as riveting. </p><p></p><p>I can understand why true blue fans might dislike this film so much. In many ways it’s a different animal, even while hitting many of the same notes of the original (from the princess in peril to the Jedi training to the race to end all races to the obligatory lightsaber battle with the master perishing in battle). All the same, I’ve already mentioned my struggles with the original series and this, for me, wasn’t any more challenging a watch. In some ways it was a step up. But it undoubtedly helped that I was expecting a bit of a dud.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 324570, member: 23"] [CENTER][B][SIZE=6]Episode I: The Phantom Menace[/SIZE][/B] [I]continued[/I] [/CENTER] With the live action cast, brand new characters and returnees fared better with me than younger recasts of those we know. Liam Neeson was really good as Qui-Gon Jinn. Natalie Portman’s queen was worth the entry for her breathtaking series of elaborate costumes and outrageous hairpieces alone. I was dreading Darth Maul, with Ray Park being the worst thing about the first[I] X-Men[/I] film (exacerbated by him being such a vapid interviewee in the DVD bonus features), but actually I really like the character of Maul. Visually he looks appropriately sinister, with Park himself hidden by the elaborate makeup and the (mercifully) dubbed dialogue. Turns out I really enjoyed what the character brought to this film. On the other hand, while Ewan McGregor’s performance was probably fine, the the thing I couldn’t quite get past was that I know what a young Alec Guinness looks and sounds like, and McGregor isn’t it. His version of an RP accent was acceptable enough (the voiceless fricative on words like “with” gave away his Scottish origins, but it was pretty convincing other than that), but he still didn’t sound like Guinness. All through the film I’d simply look at him and see Ewan McGregor, which became distracting (Samuel L. Jackson’s presence had a similar effect because he’s still so glaringly Samuel L. Jackson). As with Obi-Wan, I found it difficult to equate blonde, all-American kid Anakin with Darth Vader. And yes, I know that’s the point, since his arc will be the key one of this trilogy, and it also makes sense that he’s somewhat reminiscent of a younger Luke. Let’s say I’m on the fence having struggled to put the pieces together, but I’m keeping an open mind, and I know he’ll be recast with an older actor in future films anyway. As mentioned, Anthony Daniels brings familiarity. There’s also Frank Oz as Yoda. The very best of the film’s returnees is Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine/Darth Sidious (later to become Vader’s master, The Emperor. His familiar features really help tie things together, and he gives a terrific performance as the viper in the nest. He has a great look with his pronounced forehead and the widow’s peak billowing out to become a fearsome crown of wavy hair. The overall effect is slightly Hammer horror vampiric. Or perhaps Mom from [I]Futurama[/I]. It’s very memorable. McDiarmid is one of a number of British character actors who keep this film the right side of watchable. Terence Stamp and Oliver Ford Davies are just as riveting. I can understand why true blue fans might dislike this film so much. In many ways it’s a different animal, even while hitting many of the same notes of the original (from the princess in peril to the Jedi training to the race to end all races to the obligatory lightsaber battle with the master perishing in battle). All the same, I’ve already mentioned my struggles with the original series and this, for me, wasn’t any more challenging a watch. In some ways it was a step up. But it undoubtedly helped that I was expecting a bit of a dud. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
“A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." Watching the Star Wars films
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top