• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Almost 7 million watched the June 13th, 2012 premiere and .............

K

Karin Schill

Bad writing. The characters lacked depth and the storylines were moving too fast and had too great focus on crime drama over family drama. They also wrecked up all the couples which made it hard to root for any of them. There were too many silly plot stunts (threesome, murders etc) and cartoonish characters (Mama Ryland). The writers clearly didn't know the original Dallas well enough or even cared about it enough to write a proper continuation of it. They also dangled the Pam might return carrot in front of people's noses for two seasons only to say she's been dead all along. That together with destroying Pamela Rebecca & John Ross' marriage at the end of season two had viewers tune out in droves right at the beginning of season three.

Just my two cents.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A simple answer. There are still millions of fans around the globe that watched the original series run 1978-1991. When the Dallas TNT premiere episode began the writers did everything possible to alienate those fans. This is why most did not return for episode two. Attempting to rewrite Dallas history by alluding the Ramos family had grown up with the Ewing's was laughable.

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
They lost 2.1 million viewers between the first week and the second week, another million viewers in the two weeks after that, and then returning for season 2, they lost another million and it just kept going downhill (stats are here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dallas_(2012_TV_series)_episodes sources are in the references below).

I'm no expert, but I have a feeling the new show alienated a bunch of original, but not overly dedicated fans (e.g. people who watched it and enjoyed it in the 80s and were interested in seeing what the new show was about, but they were never ones to revisit the original on DVD, TV reruns or come to forums like this) when it became obvious even in the first episode that it was related, but not really modelled on the original show. For example, JR wasn't doing the same dastardly deeds he was known for (well, he was, but not quite in the same way); Bobby wasn't doing anything of any interest and his wife was a newbie without any real spark; Sue Ellen was barely around; and the old, familiar, thriving Ewing Oil was no more.

Additionally, if you did come into the show expecting something similar to the original method of storytelling, the newer, fast-paced storytelling may have been unappealing. For many too, crime dramas aren't really a genre they watch; I know personally for me, if the show hadn't been Dallas and featured some originals I wanted to see, I wouldn't have continued to watch; many of the storylines (not just the drug cartels) were just not of any real interest to me, so for less dedicated fans (as explained above), once the initial curiosity of seeing what became of some of their favourite characters of the 80s was satisfied, there was little else there to hold their interest.

In regard to the content and characters, the retconning was too much for many of us to swallow with ease; the way a number of characters were written wasn't love to hate, it was just general dislike, without real feeling; the show was supposed to be about oil (or at least alternative energy) but very rarely was oil or even business a topic, drug cartels are a whole different genre; the family drama was focused on the wrong families for people to care (it's ok to develop other families, they did it on the original with Sue Ellen's mother and sister, Pam's mother, brother and sister, Clayton's family etc but character development of those people didn't come at the expense of the Ewings). Just a few examples.

As well as that, although not a lot of the general TV watching population also participate in forums, go to Q&A sessions or interact with the cast on social media, I do believe the way some of the external promotion the cast did was a disservice to the show. Cynthia Cidre admitting she and the team of writers had "collectively", but not individually seen the entire show was just horrible to hear; the use of Linda Gray to promote the show prior to airing was a huge letdown when it came to watching looking for Sue Ellen's storylines; the OTT teasing that Pam could return, only to have Victoria Principle squash the idea entirely (not her fault, I don't think she was wrong in clarifying that she wasn't returning). Again, just a few examples that spring to my mind.

I do think they did some good things, it was nice to see the cast back; JR's funeral was well written; Josh and Linda played well off each other; it was nice to see the Southfork exterior shot in HD etc. For casual viewers though, there was very little that was great and when a show is competing with so many other shows on other networks, that's not a good thing.

That's my two cents.

Kenny Coyote

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A simple answer. There are still millions of fans around the globe that watched the original series run 1978-1991. When the Dallas TNT premiere episode began the writers did everything possible to alienate those fans. This is why most did not return for episode two. Attempting to rewrite Dallas history by alluding the Ramos family had grown up with the Ewing's was laughable.

I agree and when a show loses even its hardcore fans, it's dead. It's so easy to point out faults in the "new Dallas" the only hard part is deciding where to start. I'm not going to even begin to try to name all the flaws or even necessarily the worst things about the new show, but just a few that come to mind immediately:

1. How can you have Dallas without Ewing Oil? You might as well have Dallas without Southfork. What's "Ewing Global"? Is it a travel agency?

2. There was so much talk about cartels and yet not one oil cartel! The cartel of oilmen was one of the mainstays of the original and for them to have talk after talk about cartels yet for none of them having anything to do with oil was just stupid.

3. Mexican drug cartels, a large part of the cast being Hispanic, murders in many episodes, crime becoming a bigger part of the storylines than the oil business, the character around which the show revolves (originally did anyway) having limited time left because he's dying of cancer and his son who once idolized him now disavowing his father - are we talking about Breaking Bad? It seems every hack who gets to be showrunner of a TV show these days wants to recreate Breaking Bad., even if they're supposed to be recreating Dallas.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. How can you have Dallas without Ewing Oil? You might as well have Dallas without Southfork. What's "Ewing Global"? Is it a travel agency?

A travel agency. Too funny. Come to think of it, that would have been a very profitable business for the Ewing family with all their travels to Mexico.

But on a more serious note. Where was Ewing Oil in all this mess? I believe someone on the old Soapchat informed us in detail how Ewing Oil became Ewing Global. In the series return of Dallas TNT I personally liked the idea that John Ross was following in his grandfathers shoes and drilling for oil. Christopher meanwhile was dabbling in alternative energies - fracking. That very word is causing concerns around the world, generally with small farming communities.

Those opening scenes with a gusher coming in and John Ross celebrating with his mates in the bar suited him. Christopher in a white coat in a laboratory also suited him well. So I believed the writers - in part - were on a good thing. As Christopher said to John Ross, "Oil is the past."

The writers downfall was pushing the Ramos family into the original timeline of Dallas. We also had to suspend our disbelief when Christopher was about to marry his cousin, Rebecca - and not knowing it.

It was those silly little errors and what was to come that frustrated me.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
I would seriously like to know why so many abandoned the show and quit watching with barely 2 million watching the September 22nd, 2014 finale.

Because the people in charge didn't do their homework. They didn't even care to watch or at least read short summaries of the old episodes and didn't even know that Catherine did NOT die because that happened in Pams "dream". Then that rewriting and completly stupid new backstory of Cliffs character, changing Bobby, almost no Sue Ellen in S1, bringing back Ray and Lucy but giving them absolutly NOTHING to do, and so on.
They didn't get the essence of Dallas and what made it so successful. It was a family drama and not a crime show.
If i came to work as unprepared as they did, i'd be out of a job the next day!
The actors were all great, loved them. But the writing and producing just wasn't "Dallas", as simple as that.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I guess that the people who stopped watching were the same people who quit after Bobby´s appearance in the shower. Only they probably forgot about the dream solution, and saw that Bobby was alive, but was going to die again (of a "soap opera" cancer no less). And who could blame them for not wanting to be treated as idiots a second time...?

In Spain, all that press and non-devoted fans said was: where are all the missing members of the family? They wanted the whole package, not the Big Three. And about Lucy and Ray, I´m sure that specific audiences would have loved to see them as regulars, not in"Deluxe Cameo Appearances"...

K

Karin Schill

This article sums it up. The photo symbolizes everything that was right with the Dallas TNT show and made people tune in. The text with the quotes from CC everything that was wrong!

No people didn't turn in only for the twisty turny cliffhangers but for the family drama with breakfasts and dinners etc.

Also the trial and motor speedway episodes were disasters. :(

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"After repeated fan requests..one lucky pair to take a nighttime dip in the Southfork pool, an iconic spot in the original that was unused in the reboot's first season."

Did I blink during the screening of Dallas TNT and miss the lucky pair? In the era that is High Definition I was so looking forward to seeing Southfork in all its glory. Southfork during Lorimar Dallas became an icon itself. I missed those breakfasts on the patio or beside the pool. Dallas TNT couldn't even get this right, especially the interior. I missed those pre-dinner drinks with the family. J.R. generally up to mischief before everyone made their way to the dining room. The Ewing family may have bickered amongst themselves but no one was going to forgo Miss Ellie's chili.

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
"After repeated fan requests..one lucky pair to take a nighttime dip in the Southfork pool, an iconic spot in the original that was unused in the reboot's first season."

Did I blink during the screening of Dallas TNT and miss the lucky pair? In the era that is High Definition I was so looking forward to seeing Southfork in all its glory. Southfork during Lorimar Dallas became an icon itself. I missed those breakfasts on the patio or beside the pool. Dallas TNT couldn't even get this right, especially the interior. I missed those pre-dinner drinks with the family. J.R. generally up to mischief before everyone made their way to the dining room. The Ewing family may have bickered amongst themselves but no one was going to forgo Miss Ellie's chili.

I don't blame you for not remembering, I cannot remember anything other than it was Christopher and Elena.

'

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for the still Miss Texas. I understand the owners of Southfork Ranch installed those hideous roof lights but did they require them to be on when filming such scenes as above? It looks awful, plus cheap.
Good grief I've looked a little too closely at that image. Is Christopher a little excited to be in the Southfork pool with Elena?:shy:

SaveDallasCMT

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Thanks for the still Miss Texas. I understand the owners of Southfork Ranch installed those hideous roof lights but did they require them to be on when filming such scenes as above? It looks awful, plus cheap.
Good grief I've looked a little too closely at that image. Is Christopher a little excited to be in the Southfork pool with Elena?:shy:

The lights were all added for the Dallas 30th Anniversary because they are not there in the 2004 Return To Southfork Reunion.

K

Karin Schill

Oh I remember those lights from the 30th Anniversary party, a truly memorable evening for everyone who was lucky enough to be there. :)

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I gave up when
Pamela climbed into bed with John Ross and Emma
That was the last straw for me. I did tune in long enough to watch the final scene where Christopher was blown to bits. I felt that confirmed I had made the right decision when I stopped watching. If I hadn't been so loyal to the original, I would have quit earlier than I did.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If I hadn't been so loyal to the original, I would have quit earlier than I did.

So true. I had hoped Dallas: J.R. Returns and Dallas: War of the Ewings would correct a lot of the issues I had in how Dallas ended in 1991. Missed the mark with me there. Then I had high hopes with Dallas TNT but alas, let down again. Like you, I just watched the continuation with little fan fare. There were the odd bright spots but as the series continued I felt the writing and plot driven series was no longer my cup of tea.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The starting numbers really do show that it could have worked. That for me is the sad part (and the financial loss for those trying to make money off of it).

My short answer: those in charge didn't actually try to continue Dallas, they had another agenda in mind.

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
I agree and when a show loses even its hardcore fans, it's dead. It's so easy to point out faults in the "new Dallas" the only hard part is deciding where to start. I'm not going to even begin to try to name all the flaws or even necessarily the worst things about the new show, but just a few that come to mind immediately:

2. There was so much talk about cartels and yet not one oil cartel! The cartel of oilmen was one of the mainstays of the original and for them to have talk after talk about cartels yet for none of them having anything to do with oil was just stupid.

3. Mexican drug cartels, a large part of the cast being Hispanic, murders in many episodes, crime becoming a bigger part of the storylines than the oil business, the character around which the show revolves (originally did anyway) having limited time left because he's dying of cancer and his son who once idolized him now disavowing his father - are we talking about Breaking Bad? It seems every hack who gets to be showrunner of a TV show these days wants to recreate Breaking Bad., even if they're supposed to be recreating Dallas.
Ewing Global. lol Wasn't there also a Ewing Energies? I was very confused by all of this! Oil cartels became illegal before this, so that would probably explain why there weren't any in the TNT Dallas. The focus on the drug cartels was truly a bad move. It did sort of remind me of Breaking Bad. Breaking Dallas, anyone? I can just imagine Bobby and John Ross in some meth lab somewhere while Bobby says: "You and I, need to cook!" to John Ross. (shudder.)

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
This article sums it up. The photo symbolizes everything that was right with the Dallas TNT show and made people tune in. The text with the quotes from CC everything that was wrong!

No people didn't turn in only for the twisty turny cliffhangers but for the family drama with breakfasts and dinners etc.

Also the trial and motor speedway episodes were disasters. :(
"Twisty turny cliffhangers"!? Getting off in the writers' room!? And a rather obsessive focus on pairings, I might add. What the heck was wrong with Cidre!? This just proves that she did not know what she was doing at all!