An aging cast

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i don't think more kids would have helped the show all that much in the later years having Pam miscarry 2 kids is i agree is bad writing one okay but they should have had her have a kid with Bobby the natural way.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
If only they had gotten Victoria Principal, Susan Howard, Steve Kanaly and Linda Gray to stay on the show the series might have ran longer .

As it stands I think Dallas had quite an exceptional run on television. Not many show's can last thirteen years and 357 episodes.

It's a testament to the shows writers that it lasted so long, even in the show's later years when the writing was quite clearly in decline.

I will always love Dallas. :)

KayLloyd

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I always found in hard to believe that JR would have stuck with Sue Ellen for so long as she got older. He was the kind of man that would have traded her in for someone younger like Mandy instead of keep returning to his ex wife. Also, portraying Bobby as Mr Irresistible Action Man might have washed early in Dallas's run but by the time he was well into his middle age it became less credible.
Agree that J.R. would have liked to trade Sue Ellen in, but he needed the class she projected for his business reputation too much. Have to respectfully disagree about Bobby, he was looking pretty sexy in his early 40's.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Agree that J.R. would have liked to trade Sue Ellen in, but he needed the class she projected for his business reputation too much. Have to respectfully disagree about Bobby, he was looking pretty sexy in his early 40's.
I respectfully think this is rubbish. JR loved her and you’re completely misunderstanding the character and makes me wonder what show you were watching. Aside from the Kim Cryder debacle which he admits in TNT he was wrong about, at no point does JR ever want to trade Sue Ellen in - that is never the case and he had plenty of chances.

Seems to be a connection with misinterpreting JR and Sue Ellen and being a fan of Pam. Sorry to be harsh but that is how it comes across.

KayLloyd

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I respectfully think this is rubbish. JR loved her and you’re completely misunderstanding the character and makes me wonder what show you were watching. Aside from the Kim Cryder debacle which he admits in TNT he was wrong about, at no point does JR ever want to trade Sue Ellen in - that is never the case and he had plenty of chances.

Seems to be a connection with misinterpreting JR and Sue Ellen and being a fan of Pam. Sorry to be harsh but that is how it comes across.
We seem to have a different definition of "love", and that's okay. I'll take the love that Bobby had for Pam over J.R's "love" for Sue Ellen any day.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
J.R. may have hopped in the sack with younger women because he loved the chase and the idea that he could get the beautiful, young women other younger men couldn't. However, I think he truly loved Sue Ellen and if he ever did leave her he would regret it and move heaven and earth to get her back.
Was it a love that manifested itself in dysfunctional ways? Of course. As Sue Ellen herself said their relationship was "Sick! Sick! Sick!" She participated in that by enabling J.R. and even wanting to stay married to him at one point just to make him miserable. They were two damaged people who loved each other and expressed in their terrible way.
Having said all that, imho, they were each the love of the other's life.

Last edited:

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess now is as good as time as any to remind some what Miss Ellie said to Jr. “You’ve neglected that girl from the moment you brought her into this house. Most of the times you weren’t even discreet about it.”

In other words, JR’s infidelities went on for at least 7 years before the events of Dallas. All Sue Ellen was to JR was a trophy wife he could show around Dallas when it was convenient. He might have cared got her, but he had a strange way of loving her.

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown

Agreed. Personally, I saw more love with JR and Sue Ellen than I did with Bobby and Pam. Probably because the chemistry with Larry and Linda was off the charts. I never really saw good chemistry between Patrick and Victoria.

Laurie!

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i never understood why everyone had to live under the same house i've never got that at all does anyone?
I think it's still very common now in a lot of Asian cultures. Often, there's several generations in the same home. It's not a custom to put your elders in a long term care home like recent generations of European descent do in Canada and the U.S. It's like we don't want to invest our own time in looking after them sadly.

My paternal grandmother lived with us growing up until she passed away. It created a lot of drama with my mother. Two strong willed women competing to be the head of the household. I think that drama was the intent on DALLAS but with the added layer of grown sons, spouses and both grandparents.

As for Cally being too young for JR...I think it was just because she was such a stereotypical, non worldly hillbilly when they met that made it seem silly. Also, her hick brothers seemingly getting the better of JR by forcing him to marry her. The real JR wouldn't have stood for that. He would just take Cally's virginity, leave and never look back.

Last edited:

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Also, her hick brothers seemingly getting the better of JR by forcing him to marry her. The real JR wouldn't have stood for that. He would just take Cally's virginity, leave and never look back.

In Texas? I can definitely see JR ending up dead if he tried that. Good old fashioned Texas justice. Lol

Last edited:

Laurie!

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In Texas? I can definitely see JR ending up dead if he tried that. Good old fashioned Texas justice. Lol
Yes, even in Texas, JR would find a way out of that mess. Just look at the number of times in the good seasons, JR slept with married women, etc and got away with it.

Instead, Cally's dumb brothers got the better of ole JR.

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, even in Texas, JR would find a way out of that mess. Just look at the number of times in the good seasons, JR slept with married women, etc and got away with it.

Instead, Cally's dumb brothers got the better of ole JR.

You don’t have to be smart when you’re the one holding the gun. Lol

The two times JR womanizers came back to haunt him was when those two guys came looking for him and Ray at Southfork and the Hallyville situation. Both times JR stepped out of his comfort zone.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Agreed. Personally, I saw more love with JR and Sue Ellen than I did with Bobby and Pam. Probably because the chemistry with Larry and Linda was off the charts. I never really saw good chemistry between Patrick and Victoria.
Agree 100 per cent.

Laurie!

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You don’t have to be smart when you’re the one holding the gun. Lol

The two times JR womanizers came back to haunt him was when those two guys came looking for him and Ray at Southfork and the Hallyville situation. Both times JR stepped out of his comfort zone.
Very true but the Cally storyline just went along with the JR the loser theme of the later seasons and he let two hillbillies get him. He didn't even have one of his thugs get revenge on them later and that was way out of character. It's why the age gap and naivety of Cally was part of the DALLAS parody period that destroyed the show.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I think part of the problem is not all of us love and worship Pam. I just never have and I think it’s fine to say that. She was incredibly self absorbed and when things weren’t going her way, she threw the towel in.

JR and Sue Ellen’s relationship may not have always been healthy but their chemistry was off the chart which is why their roles quickly overtook Pam and Bobby as the leading couple.

Laurie!

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think part of the problem is not all of us love and worship Pam. I just never have and I think it’s fine to say that. She was incredibly self absorbed and when things weren’t going her way, she threw the towel in.

JR and Sue Ellen’s relationship may not have always been healthy but their chemistry was off the chart which is why their roles quickly overtook Pam and Bobby as the leading couple.
I think you posted that in the wrong thread. However, all Sue Ellen ever did was throw in the towel. It's just that her version of checking out, was finding the bottom of a bottle of booze so she wasn't present in her life.

Also, I think Bobby and Pam remained a very popular couple on DALLAS and they definitely held their own as stars on the show. I don't recall (to use just a popular European talk show) Linda's episodes of Wogan being the highest rated...hehe.

Was Pam wrong to leave Southfork when Bobby did something corrupt or JR treated her like crap? Was she wrong to want a place of their own? In fact, I think it showed her sanity to want away from Southfork.

The only example you have of Pam leaving with possibly a bad reason, was her character's exit from the show. Which was done after Victoria left and as a result of that. It was also because of Patrick coming back via the dream fiasco so you can't hate her character for that.

Last edited:

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

You've hit the nail on the head, Sarah. Whilst a lot of fans root for the good brother Bobby and Pam because of them being the centre point of the Barnes Ewing feud the characters of Sue Ellen and JR were far more pivotal. The very fact that Sue Ellen and JR had a dysfunctional relationship doesn't mark them down one bit. It makes them a far more interesting couple. You more or less knew where you were with Bobby & Pam this is not the case with JR & Sue Ellen. They had a much more interesting relationship together. Despite all the horrid things JR did, deep down I firmly believe that he truly loved Sue Ellen. In addition following the sad death of Jock, JR was the focal point of the Barnes Ewing feud. You can then appreciate why JR became the breakout character on Dallas because of the Barnes Ewing feud.

It depends of course on the individual viewer which Ewing brother and their wife they preferred. Personally I'm a Bobby & Pam guy, however the characters of Sue Ellen & JR were better to watch because of JR being the shows focal point which the other characters revolved around.

I love all four of them even though I think it was a mistake in the shows later years to have both Bobby and JR as the focal point which was detrimental to the other veteran characters. :)

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Oh Laurie…. Proving my point. Thanks!