An aging cast

Laurie!

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In addition following the sad death of Jock, JR was the focal point of the Barnes Ewing feud. You can then appreciate why JR became the breakout character on Dallas because of the Barnes Ewing feud.
I disagree. Pam was the focal point of the Barnes Ewing feud. She was the only link that connected the two families. Which is why when the Pam character was gone, Cliff was just floundering around without any purpose except becoming besties with Bobby. There wasn't a feud anymore.

JR and Cliff were the antagonists of the feud and Bobby and Pam were the protagonists caught in the middle. The only time Sue Ellen became part of the theme of the show was the brief time she was sleeping with Cliff and possibly carrying a Barnes heir instead of a Ewing.

the-lost-son

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well I think we can agree that the best time of the show was when JR&Sue Ellen and Bobvy&Pam were living on Southfork. The show was never about which one was the better relationship, but who gets the seat at the head of the table.

Each soap needs some stable couples (in Dallas Donna&Ray, Ellie & Clayton) whose marriages are less frequently in turmoil in order to leave room for:
1. The romantic couple divided by circumstances - Romeo & Juliet
Bobby & Pam filled that corner perfectly.
2. The passionate couple who can't really stay apart in the long run nor together. JR&Sue Ellen delivered that, pure magic, otherwise these constant ups and downs would have been unbelievable. (runner-up Lance&Melissa in Falcon Crest)

I liked it that TNT Dallas shifted JR&Sue Ellen now more in the romantic corner. Old feelings and a possible reunion had been insinuated a few times and it was planned to close the 2nd season with a reunion of the two (if LH hadn't passed away).

To get back to the origin of this thread:
After 8-9 years and each couple having their own son, it's getting increasingly hard for me to accept that they live still under the same roof. The early outset of the series - the sons fighting for their father's approval - got lost both by Jock gone and the time span until then.

Last edited:

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
that about says it all i think.