Australia's "Voice" Referendum

Have you heard about Australia's "voice" referendum?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
On October 14 Australia will vote in a referendum about whether to put a so-called Voice to Parliament for our Indigenous Peoples into the Constitution.
We are being told by some that the result of this vote will greatly affect Australia's international reputation, so I'm curious about how many of you have even heard that it is taking place.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I heard of it and have been following it reasonably closely. I've been dismayed by how what was originally a popular proposal has been misrepresented by right wingers who have been whipping up racist sentiments to turn public opinion towards rejecting the plan. However, I don't think the result of the vote will change international opinion all that much but some people will now see Australia as a much more racist country than they originally thought.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I heard of it and have been following it reasonably closely. I've been dismayed by how what was originally a popular proposal has been misrepresented by right wingers who have been whipping up racist sentiments to turn public opinion towards rejecting the plan. However, I don't think the result of the vote will change international opinion all that much but some people will now see Australia as a much more racist country than they originally thought.
Yes, I agree. The objections of the no case are almost entirely inconsequential or downright fanciful.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm also aware about the referendum and hope the Indigenous get their vote. But I don't know whether it changes how Australia is seen internationally because how many countries in the world are dealing with their history as Australia or Canada have in the past? I want both countries (and Japan) rather as permanent members in the UN security council than Russia, China or the US.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm staying well clear of this thread @Seaviewer as this kind of discussion just brings out the ugly on both sides of the argument. My voice will be heard on October 14. I will add one thing. A customer from the YES campaign came into my workplace and asked me directly how I will be voting. I offered a stern look and replied, "How dare you come into my work place and ask such a loaded question. If there is nothing I can help you with I suggest you move on."

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm staying well clear of this thread @Seaviewer as this kind of discussion just brings out the ugly on both sides of the argument. My voice will be heard on October 14. I will add one thing. A customer from the YES campaign came into my workplace and asked me directly how I will be voting. I offered a stern look and replied, "How dare you come into my work place and ask such a loaded question. If there is nothing I can help you with I suggest you move on."
I understand perfectly. It was not originally my intention to canvas the issue itself in this thread, just how wide the knowledge of it is overseas. In the event, I've stated my opinion briefly and won't be taking it any further.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's been on the news in Sweden the day before the vote and to tell the result of the vote.

Sweden has indigenous population as well. The sámi. Well, they aren't just in Sweden. Sápmi spreads out over the northernmost parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia (the Kola penninsula). They have been treated horribly for many many decades. Forced displacement, racial biology, theft of land, political discrimination etc.

The sámi have been acknowledged and been given rights in the constitution in Sweden (only) since 2011. They now get a vote in what happens in the Sápmi region, which has upset several people living there who are not sámi. They sometime go as far as killing some of the sámi reindeer to threaten the sámi. Hateful acts.

I am pro-sámi. It's also why I had hoped for a yes in Australia. I think we should respect and celebrate the cultures of our indigenous people (as long as they aren't of any harm).

I am also pro-sámi because they desperately want to save the environment. Global warming is completely devastating for them. If they didn't put up a fight, the government would likely abuse that land for excessive wind power, hydro power and more mining.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The principal reason seems to be a belief that the proposal would have divided the country by race.
I've been interested in others opinions. Some stated they are not in the habit of signing blank cheques. Others have rightly pointed out the billions of dollars already spent with little going to remote Aboriginal communities...where it's desperately needed. Some asked, "Where is the detail.?"

My gut feeling is most Australians wished to say "Yes" but didn't like the model presented...much like the referendum question presented to us back in 1999. I sometimes wonder if our dopey representatives in Canberra design these things to fail - on purpose - or in the case of The Voice" referendum they were trying the old smoke and mirrors technique.

I understand the electorate can be stupid sometimes but never, ever treat us voters like mugs. We will return in kind.