Barbara Stanwyck in the cast.

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jane Wyman and DYNASTY / THE COLBYS star Barbara Stanwyck were great pals. Barbara was considered for the role of Angela. I wonder should the two Golden Hollywood actresses have appeared together in the wine saga? THE COLBYS was Barbara's last work, having made her final appearance in 'Checkmate' (season 1, November 1986). Her alter ego Connie didn't exit though until 'The Legacy' (season 2, June 1987); when the family learned she dead in a off screen plane crash, with boyfriend Hutch Corrigan.

Could Barbara have been an Agretti aunt in FC, perhaps Angela's foe or someway connected to Peter Stavros? Season 7 would have been the ideal time for her guest appearances. Imho she would have been a fine addition to the show, despite her disdain for THE COLBYS.

Jane Wyman and Barbara Stanwyck

Barbara Stanwyck's pal Jane Wyman mourns her death, on 20/01/1990:

"Everyone in this industry looked up to her as such a perfectionist. Her honesty in everything she did came through on the screen, but she never took credit for it. Her ego was never first. It was always her work.″

Last edited:

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Jane Wyman y la estrella de DYNASTY / THE COLBYS, Barbara Stanwyck, eran grandes amigas. Barbara fue considerada para el papel de Angela. Me pregunto si las dos actrices de Golden Hollywood deberían haber aparecido juntas en la saga del vino. THE COLBYS fue el último trabajo de Barbara, habiendo hecho su última aparición en 'Checkmate' (temporada 1, noviembre de 1986). Sin embargo, su alter ego, Connie, no salió hasta 'The Legacy' (temporada 2, junio de 1987); cuando la familia se enteró de que murió en un accidente aéreo fuera de la pantalla, con su novio Hutch Corrigan.

¿Podría Barbara haber sido una tía de Agretti en FC, tal vez la enemiga de Angela o de alguna manera conectada con Peter Stavros? La temporada 7 habría sido el momento ideal para sus apariciones especiales. En mi humilde opinión, habría sido una buena adición al espectáculo, a pesar de su desdén por THE COLBYS.

Jane Wyman y Barbara Stanwyck

La amiga de Barbara Stanwyck, Jane Wyman, lamenta su muerte el 20/01/1990:

"Todos en esta industria la admiraban como una perfeccionista. Su honestidad en todo lo que hacía se reflejaba en la pantalla, pero nunca se atribuyó el mérito. Su ego nunca fue lo primero. Siempre fue su trabajo".

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
According to her biography, Barbara hated her character in the Colbys. She didn't like Charton Heston very much either. And she did not like her male partner Josep Campanela at all
In her case, I do believe that she left the role at her own request.
She was always more of an actress and more of a star than Jane. And she raise great passions Jane Fonda confessed that Henry Fonda was always in love with her
She was wonderful in The Thorn Birds.
In this scene she got so excited that she forgot her role. It's been a while since she had a naked man in my arms. She said
That would not have happened to Jane, she lacked passion and strength,

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
According to her biography, Barbara hated her character in the Colbys. She didn't like Charton Heston very much either. And she did not like her male partner Josep Campanela at all
In her case, I do believe that she left the role at her own request.
She was always more of an actress and more of a star than Jane. And she raise great passions Jane Fonda confessed that Henry Fonda was always in love with her
She was wonderful in The Thorn Birds.
In this scene she got so excited that she forgot her role. It's been a while since she had a naked man in my arms. She said
That would not have happened to Jane, she lacked passion and strength,
That’s interesting to hear that she didn’t like Heston or Campanella. Particularly Campanella as she’d apparently pushed for producers to cast an actor younger than her to play her lover (he’s 17 years her junior). Barbara’s issues with memory and remembering lines led to reduced screen time as the first season progressed, so having been burned by that experience, I’d guess that she wouldn’t have been in a hurry to commit to any TV role post-Colbys. In saying that, she would’ve been a prime choice to guest on FC, given it’s penchant for golden age actors. Also, guesting on a rival soap would’ve been a big FU to The Colbys producers. In a nod to her Big Valley days, maybe she could’ve played a rancher that comes into conflict with Angela, who is trying to buy up her land.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
That’s interesting to hear that she didn’t like Heston or Campanella. Particularly Campanella as she’d apparently pushed for producers to cast an actor younger than her to play her lover (he’s 17 years her junior). Barbara’s issues with memory and remembering lines led to reduced screen time as the first season progressed, so having been burned by that experience, I’d guess that she wouldn’t have been in a hurry to commit to any TV role post-Colbys. In saying that, she would’ve been a prime choice to guest on FC, given it’s penchant for golden age actors. Also, guesting on a rival soap would’ve been a big FU to The Colbys producers. In a nod to her Big Valley days, maybe she could’ve played a rancher that comes into conflict with Angela, who is trying to buy up her land.
The paper was very poorly written. She was an aunt who advised her nephews
It is assumed that she was a business woman who had worked with her brother Jason.
A 20th century Victoria Barkley ( Big valley ) .
A rival for Sable
They were friends off screen but on television. A very powerful rival for Angela-Jane
And how about a sister of Jaquelinne Parraut

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Instead of the wealthy landowner Carlton Travis (actor Eddie Albert) who Richard and Angela clashed with in season 7 we could've got Barbara as a gun loving matriarch, a homage to her BIG VALLEY time.

Of the existing Falcon Crest characters, the best one that I could see her in would be playing Anna Rossini instead of Celeste Holm and I think Ms Stanwyck would have brought a more interesting energy to the character.

I agree @Angela Channing! Barbara would've done well as Angela's old foe Anna Rossini. There would have been a timescale clash though, with THE COLBYS starting before Anna exited FC. However in theory she would have brought a lot of light and shade.

Anna Rossini sets fire to the Falcon Crest mansion. She targets Angela's bedroom. The fire incident happens after Angela revealed Julia had an affair with Dominic (Anna's husband) and they had a son; who grew up away from the wine country, Fr. Christopher. Mrs. Rossini rebuked the affair.

The day after the fire Anna and Cassandra are standing within the mansion grounds. Angela, Emma and Chao-Li survived Anna's arson, after Lance's rescued them. They are standing on the veranda. Sheriff Gilmore finds evidence implicating Anna, (a scene from season 5, 1985 - '86):

Anna: "Well! Hello Sheriff."

He carts her off, to the cop car.

Anna: "I blame Angela Channing, smoking in bed. I mean that's what starts most fires, isn't it? Oh and don't forget to check whether the children were playing with matches. Well you know how children are, especially the Channing children. They've always been impossible."

Cassandra looks at her mother, being driven off the grounds. Angela then makes eye contact with Cassandra.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I had always heard that Stanwyck like Campenella very much.

A UFO arrives in Angela's vineyards and Barbara is on it.

I've actually posited this scenario for FC -- that the UFO should happened there (even if it's Melissa's lie/delusion).

Anyway, Missy had already played the queen of one northern-central California valley (San Joaquin) so being the queen of yet another (Napa/Tuscany) would seem redundant.

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I prefer Celeste to Barbara ...
I never liked Stanwyck so much and would have prefered Lana Turner to play her part as Constance Colby - she had the right glamour look.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Although I'm against key actors playing other roles on other '80 soaps -- in my head, all four shows exist in different corners of the same universe.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Perhaps Barbara Stanwyck would have worked well as Maggie's mother and conveyed her battle with gambling addiction well.

Rather than Falcon Crest, I would have preferred to see Barabara as Greg's mother on Knots Landing. I found Ava Gardner a bit numb in her acting, an actor like William Devane needs someone as expressive as he is and that would have been Barbara as his mother.