Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="James from London" data-source="post: 352084" data-attributes="member: 22"><p>It's when Billy and Sheila are written out. The series had just gone to three episodes a week and it was already starting to feel more like a conventional soap, with everyone going in and out of each other's houses and confiding their problems at the drop of a hat. Then they introduce the shopping parade and suddenly everyone's working with and for each other as well, and it starts existing in its own little bubble with less and less connection to the outside world. That kind of thing worked fine on <em>Coronation Street</em> and <em>EastEnders</em> because of the rich history and mythology surrounding those shows' respective communities, but on <em>Brookside</em>, there wasn't the same depth and it felt bland and artificial. And as the characters became more two-dimensional, the storylines became increasingly issue-based and supposedly "edgy" and "real", but to me it all just seemed sensationalised and hollow. A bit like <em>Torchwood</em> without the monsters.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="James from London, post: 352084, member: 22"] It's when Billy and Sheila are written out. The series had just gone to three episodes a week and it was already starting to feel more like a conventional soap, with everyone going in and out of each other's houses and confiding their problems at the drop of a hat. Then they introduce the shopping parade and suddenly everyone's working with and for each other as well, and it starts existing in its own little bubble with less and less connection to the outside world. That kind of thing worked fine on [I]Coronation Street[/I] and [I]EastEnders[/I] because of the rich history and mythology surrounding those shows' respective communities, but on [I]Brookside[/I], there wasn't the same depth and it felt bland and artificial. And as the characters became more two-dimensional, the storylines became increasingly issue-based and supposedly "edgy" and "real", but to me it all just seemed sensationalised and hollow. A bit like [I]Torchwood[/I] without the monsters. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top