Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="James from London" data-source="post: 365279" data-attributes="member: 22"><p>Oh yeah, it's definitely his party piece. I think he got it into <em>The Royle Family</em> as well.</p><p></p><p>Lucy's probably as highly strung and wrong-headed and impulsive as any other soap teen, but there's a fierce intelligence behind everything she does that makes her totally credible -- a brilliant combination of writing and acting. Off the top of my head, Katrin Cartlidge probably had the most intriguing post-soap career of any actor in the UK I can think of: Mike Leigh's<em> Naked</em> and <em>Career Girls</em>, Lars Von Trier's <em>Breaking the Waves, </em>a bunch of European art house films and a random one-off episode of <em>Enders</em> as a copper during the Who Killed Eddie Royle? era, to name but a few.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I love the first Gordon. Only 80s <em>Brookside</em> would bother to treat such a shy, quiet, non-dynamic freckly geeky kid as an equal to anyone else on the close. Any other soap would make him a caricature but the series never laughs at him, even if the other characters do (and I did occasionally, especially in his classic "Can I have a pint of bitter beer?" scene). I'm not sure whether you'll have reached it yet, Mel, but I love the fact that almost an entire half an episode is taken up by a sequence where Paul is driving Gordon home from school and gently asking him questions about ... well, nothing at all really in terms of plot, but everything in terms of character.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="James from London, post: 365279, member: 22"] Oh yeah, it's definitely his party piece. I think he got it into [I]The Royle Family[/I] as well. Lucy's probably as highly strung and wrong-headed and impulsive as any other soap teen, but there's a fierce intelligence behind everything she does that makes her totally credible -- a brilliant combination of writing and acting. Off the top of my head, Katrin Cartlidge probably had the most intriguing post-soap career of any actor in the UK I can think of: Mike Leigh's[I] Naked[/I] and [I]Career Girls[/I], Lars Von Trier's [I]Breaking the Waves, [/I]a bunch of European art house films and a random one-off episode of [I]Enders[/I] as a copper during the Who Killed Eddie Royle? era, to name but a few. I love the first Gordon. Only 80s [I]Brookside[/I] would bother to treat such a shy, quiet, non-dynamic freckly geeky kid as an equal to anyone else on the close. Any other soap would make him a caricature but the series never laughs at him, even if the other characters do (and I did occasionally, especially in his classic "Can I have a pint of bitter beer?" scene). I'm not sure whether you'll have reached it yet, Mel, but I love the fact that almost an entire half an episode is taken up by a sequence where Paul is driving Gordon home from school and gently asking him questions about ... well, nothing at all really in terms of plot, but everything in terms of character. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top