Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 365951" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Now you've said this, I'm fairly sure I remember reading this back in the day. Probably in either the <em>Soap Box </em>or <em>Supersoaps</em> book which were my bibles at the time.</p><p></p><p>I agree it's a shame, and it would be interesting to know more about his reasons, such as whether it was because he simply didn't want to play a gay character or because he felt it wasn't true to the character. I'll have to dig those book out and see if there's any more insight there.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>The first time round I didn't begin watching until that window of time where Nigel Crowley had departed, Mark Burgess hadn't arrived and Gordon was just a faceless name mentioned by Gordon and Annabelle.</p><p></p><p>Mark was the first Gordon I'd seen, and he remained the only one until <em>Brookie</em> was re-run on some satellite channel somewhere around the mid-Nineties. I knew he was a recast, so I had nothing to compare him with, which was probably for the best as I don't recall having a problem with him. That said, I remember very little about him other than he had a partner called Christopher (who at the time I thought was rather dishy) and the sequence where the pair of them rescued Mona from the abusive retirement home. I'm not sure how I'll feel this time round, but with STV only releasing 5 episodes per week at least there will once again be a reasonable gap between the two Gordons.</p><p></p><p>Incidentally, around the time I started rewatching recently, I somehow stumbled upon <a href="https://ianphillipssite.wordpress.com/2019/03/07/an-interview-with-mark-burgess-on-playing-britains-first-openly-gay-character-in-brookside/" target="_blank">this interview with Mark Burgess on his <em>Brookside</em> days</a>. It's a nice little time capsule and he appears to look fondly back on those days. I couldn't help noting that it doesn't mention him being a recast anywhere in the interview, and would have been interested to know how he felt about it and if he'd watched any of Nigel's episodes before, during or since.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Same here. In her first episode, I actually said out loud, "that's Margi Clark". Then in the credits a different surname was used and I initially wrote it off. It was only a day or two later that I thought to look at Margi's IMDb page and see if she'd been credited with a different name.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Oh wow. Karen's friends have been featured a fair bit lately, so I'll keep an eye out. I forget their names, though there's one called Elsa who fancies Damon.</p><p></p><p>Writing this, it's only just occurred to me that both Karen and Damon have similar triadic friendship groups.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Absolutely. There are similar fragments that rattle round my head as well. For instance, I loved the strained relationship Paul Collins had with Annabelle's mother, and a line that always sticks in my mind is where he read a letter she'd written to them and tutted that writing in green ink is the first sign of madness. I've never been able to see a green-ink pen without having a little chuckle, and whenever I've had one of those four-colour pens, the green is always the last one to run out.</p><p></p><p>There's also that little monologue of Sue Sullivan's (I think to Barry) where she talked about the innards that come out of a slug when you step on it, and said that's how she thought of him.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>My timeline with Nineties Brookie is very muddled indeed. I had thought I'd stopped watching round about the time of Sue's line above. But looking at it, that took place in 1991 and I know I saw quite a bit after that, such as all the Jordache stuff and (unfortunately) a fair bit of the Lindsay Corkhill and Casa BevRon era.</p><p></p><p>I think I became less interested around the time Brookside Parade came along, and drifted away entirely by the latter part of the Nineties, but I don't remember a specific thing that did it for me, other than it had declined to the point where I was only watching out of some kind of hope that it would right itself.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Again, I can't really remember. It could be that I stopped watching regularly but still tuned in occasionally. It's probably quite telling that I can't even remember how I watched it. They say that the true opposite of love is indifference, and that's how I felt about <em>Brookie</em> past a certain point.</p><p></p><p>I do remember tuning in for the final episode in 2003.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 365951, member: 23"] Now you've said this, I'm fairly sure I remember reading this back in the day. Probably in either the [I]Soap Box [/I]or [I]Supersoaps[/I] book which were my bibles at the time. I agree it's a shame, and it would be interesting to know more about his reasons, such as whether it was because he simply didn't want to play a gay character or because he felt it wasn't true to the character. I'll have to dig those book out and see if there's any more insight there. The first time round I didn't begin watching until that window of time where Nigel Crowley had departed, Mark Burgess hadn't arrived and Gordon was just a faceless name mentioned by Gordon and Annabelle. Mark was the first Gordon I'd seen, and he remained the only one until [I]Brookie[/I] was re-run on some satellite channel somewhere around the mid-Nineties. I knew he was a recast, so I had nothing to compare him with, which was probably for the best as I don't recall having a problem with him. That said, I remember very little about him other than he had a partner called Christopher (who at the time I thought was rather dishy) and the sequence where the pair of them rescued Mona from the abusive retirement home. I'm not sure how I'll feel this time round, but with STV only releasing 5 episodes per week at least there will once again be a reasonable gap between the two Gordons. Incidentally, around the time I started rewatching recently, I somehow stumbled upon [URL='https://ianphillipssite.wordpress.com/2019/03/07/an-interview-with-mark-burgess-on-playing-britains-first-openly-gay-character-in-brookside/']this interview with Mark Burgess on his [I]Brookside[/I] days[/URL]. It's a nice little time capsule and he appears to look fondly back on those days. I couldn't help noting that it doesn't mention him being a recast anywhere in the interview, and would have been interested to know how he felt about it and if he'd watched any of Nigel's episodes before, during or since. Same here. In her first episode, I actually said out loud, "that's Margi Clark". Then in the credits a different surname was used and I initially wrote it off. It was only a day or two later that I thought to look at Margi's IMDb page and see if she'd been credited with a different name. Oh wow. Karen's friends have been featured a fair bit lately, so I'll keep an eye out. I forget their names, though there's one called Elsa who fancies Damon. Writing this, it's only just occurred to me that both Karen and Damon have similar triadic friendship groups. Absolutely. There are similar fragments that rattle round my head as well. For instance, I loved the strained relationship Paul Collins had with Annabelle's mother, and a line that always sticks in my mind is where he read a letter she'd written to them and tutted that writing in green ink is the first sign of madness. I've never been able to see a green-ink pen without having a little chuckle, and whenever I've had one of those four-colour pens, the green is always the last one to run out. There's also that little monologue of Sue Sullivan's (I think to Barry) where she talked about the innards that come out of a slug when you step on it, and said that's how she thought of him. My timeline with Nineties Brookie is very muddled indeed. I had thought I'd stopped watching round about the time of Sue's line above. But looking at it, that took place in 1991 and I know I saw quite a bit after that, such as all the Jordache stuff and (unfortunately) a fair bit of the Lindsay Corkhill and Casa BevRon era. I think I became less interested around the time Brookside Parade came along, and drifted away entirely by the latter part of the Nineties, but I don't remember a specific thing that did it for me, other than it had declined to the point where I was only watching out of some kind of hope that it would right itself. Again, I can't really remember. It could be that I stopped watching regularly but still tuned in occasionally. It's probably quite telling that I can't even remember how I watched it. They say that the true opposite of love is indifference, and that's how I felt about [I]Brookie[/I] past a certain point. I do remember tuning in for the final episode in 2003. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top