Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 367142" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Even though I was watching at the time, I didn't recall there being such a sense of event around it, so this is fascinating.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Absolutely.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Interesting. I feel like I must know at least one or two of the others, but I'm struggling to place them, so I'll have to keep my eyes open for them.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>It certainly is. It goes back to the very beginning, of course, with them having some kind of awkward understanding immediately while Bobby and Paul are at it hammer and tongs. I really like that this dynamic is still being revisited, with Sheila still making time for Annabelle (and accepting a driving lesson from her) despite Paul's regular criticisms of her kids.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Ooh yes - what a great observation.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>With Harry and Edna's initial appearances I was rather taken aback with how laid back Harry was compared with Edna who seemed the more critical and cranky.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Oh yes. And also some who left in 1990 (I'm thinking Harry) would later return.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Oh yikes. Another reason to check out of the series at that point. His writing always makes the series crackle.</p><p></p><p>The last episode I watched was the Jimmy Mac penned one where Bobby threw Jack Boswell out of the house and then practically assaulted Karen after they came home late. Then it turned into this tragic tableau where Sheila called Bobby a hypocrite for treating Karen differently to the boys. And then he found out Sheila had kept him in the dark about Karen's bingo winnings. And Sheila blurted out (in front of Karen) that it was because she was ashamed of Karen for not offering them anything despite their current financial hardships. It's one of those winning Grant scenes that's gut-wrenchingly raw and quite painful to watch because you can feel the damage being done with each line spoken.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 367142, member: 23"] Even though I was watching at the time, I didn't recall there being such a sense of event around it, so this is fascinating. Absolutely. Interesting. I feel like I must know at least one or two of the others, but I'm struggling to place them, so I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. It certainly is. It goes back to the very beginning, of course, with them having some kind of awkward understanding immediately while Bobby and Paul are at it hammer and tongs. I really like that this dynamic is still being revisited, with Sheila still making time for Annabelle (and accepting a driving lesson from her) despite Paul's regular criticisms of her kids. Ooh yes - what a great observation. With Harry and Edna's initial appearances I was rather taken aback with how laid back Harry was compared with Edna who seemed the more critical and cranky. Oh yes. And also some who left in 1990 (I'm thinking Harry) would later return. Oh yikes. Another reason to check out of the series at that point. His writing always makes the series crackle. The last episode I watched was the Jimmy Mac penned one where Bobby threw Jack Boswell out of the house and then practically assaulted Karen after they came home late. Then it turned into this tragic tableau where Sheila called Bobby a hypocrite for treating Karen differently to the boys. And then he found out Sheila had kept him in the dark about Karen's bingo winnings. And Sheila blurted out (in front of Karen) that it was because she was ashamed of Karen for not offering them anything despite their current financial hardships. It's one of those winning Grant scenes that's gut-wrenchingly raw and quite painful to watch because you can feel the damage being done with each line spoken. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top