Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 404951" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Re-reading<em> The Man Who Raped Sheila Grant</em>, it really is great to find out more about Jimmy McGovern. It's intriguing that he comes from an educational background, in common with Jim Wiggins and Dean Sullivan (and perhaps others).</p><p></p><p>Reading what he's said about enjoying intrusive noises from walkie talkies or refuse collection lorries, I hope to keep an eye out for this kind of thing... if I can remember it by the time I get to his stuff.</p><p></p><p></p><p>Off the back of it, I've found myself creating a little spreadsheet of his work and where it's currently available to stream or buy.</p><p></p><p>I couldn't find any of his pre-<em>Cracker</em> work (<em>Needle, Traitors, Gas and Candles</em>) to stream or buy anywhere. There's also no sign of <em>Hearts and Minds, Go Now, Heart </em>or<em> Common</em> from his later work<em>.</em></p><p></p><p>The vast majority of his work seems to have been for the BBC, but only one solitary project (<em>Time</em>) can currently be found on iPlayer. Even more curiously many of the BBC ones <u>are</u> available on rival streaming services (STV, My4, Prime, etc).</p><p></p><p>Meanwhile, the only way to watch <em>Priest</em> in full appears to be on the Netherlands DVD complete with Dutch subtitles. It seems Miramax cut around 8 minutes from the American print (not too surprising given the different countries' sensibilities), so I'd take subtitles over sanitisation any day.</p><p></p><p>I noticed some actors appearing in numerous projects: Christopher Eccleston, Ricky Tomlinson and Robert Carlyle seem popular with him.</p><p></p><p>Another curio: when I put Jimmy's name into Prime, it came up with two films, neither of which has his involvement to the best of my knowledge. But one of them - <em>The Street</em> - has a name in common with a McG series, while the other - <em>Let Him Have It </em>- stars Christopher Eccleston. Even more coincidentally, both of these have already been in my rather short Prime watchlist for some time.</p><p></p><p>I'm not sure when I'll get round to exploring more of Jimmy's work, but at least I'm starting to get an idea where to start with it all.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Back on <em>Brookside</em>, my partner - who doesn't know the outcome of the current storyline - has correctly deduced whodunnit (on the first guess, mind you). I attempted a poker face and refused to confirm or deny.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 404951, member: 23"] Re-reading[I] The Man Who Raped Sheila Grant[/I], it really is great to find out more about Jimmy McGovern. It's intriguing that he comes from an educational background, in common with Jim Wiggins and Dean Sullivan (and perhaps others). Reading what he's said about enjoying intrusive noises from walkie talkies or refuse collection lorries, I hope to keep an eye out for this kind of thing... if I can remember it by the time I get to his stuff. Off the back of it, I've found myself creating a little spreadsheet of his work and where it's currently available to stream or buy. I couldn't find any of his pre-[I]Cracker[/I] work ([I]Needle, Traitors, Gas and Candles[/I]) to stream or buy anywhere. There's also no sign of [I]Hearts and Minds, Go Now, Heart [/I]or[I] Common[/I] from his later work[I].[/I] The vast majority of his work seems to have been for the BBC, but only one solitary project ([I]Time[/I]) can currently be found on iPlayer. Even more curiously many of the BBC ones [U]are[/U] available on rival streaming services (STV, My4, Prime, etc). Meanwhile, the only way to watch [I]Priest[/I] in full appears to be on the Netherlands DVD complete with Dutch subtitles. It seems Miramax cut around 8 minutes from the American print (not too surprising given the different countries' sensibilities), so I'd take subtitles over sanitisation any day. I noticed some actors appearing in numerous projects: Christopher Eccleston, Ricky Tomlinson and Robert Carlyle seem popular with him. Another curio: when I put Jimmy's name into Prime, it came up with two films, neither of which has his involvement to the best of my knowledge. But one of them - [I]The Street[/I] - has a name in common with a McG series, while the other - [I]Let Him Have It [/I]- stars Christopher Eccleston. Even more coincidentally, both of these have already been in my rather short Prime watchlist for some time. I'm not sure when I'll get round to exploring more of Jimmy's work, but at least I'm starting to get an idea where to start with it all. Back on [I]Brookside[/I], my partner - who doesn't know the outcome of the current storyline - has correctly deduced whodunnit (on the first guess, mind you). I attempted a poker face and refused to confirm or deny. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
UK Soaps Forum
Brookside
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top