• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Camp Classics

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Is that girl played by a boy?
No, that's Patty McCormack, she continued acting into adulthood. McCormack played Jeffrey Tambor's wife on The Ropers and guest starred on Desperate Housewives and a lot of other series. She played Pat Nixon in the film Frost/Nixon.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
really you have never heard of "The Apple? (1980) i have never seen it but i have heard of it though, Show girls (1995) i still haven't seen the entire thing cause the film is just so so bad from what i have seen of it.

i'd say whatever happened to Baby Jane ? (1962) is a camp classic and an utter masterpiece of work as wlel

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Coffy with Pam Grier:

She has razorblades in her hair!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Shelly Winters directed by Curtis Harrington
Such a strange and almost never-ending movie.

Coffy with Pam Grier

I'm going to beat you all with a blaxploitation movie starring Shelley Winters

The villain in the first Cleopatra Jones was played by Stella Stevens, the notorious so-bad-it's-good actress.

And how do we feel about actress Sally Kirkland?
She seems very likeable but there's something offbeat about her, I just can't quite put my finger on it. But at the same time there's something very familiar about her.
One of the few actors who seriously confuses me. But that doesn't have to be a negative thing.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was thinking about movies that could be considered camp over the weekend. During the process, I thought about HAIRSPRAY, the original 1988 John Waters "dance movie" centering on a "pleasantly plump" teenager in 1962 Baltimore who advocates for racial equality. The film was a soft venture into the mainstream for Waters, and it enjoyed reasonable box office success in theaters at the time. It features an impressive soundtrack, and a equally impressive cast which consists of Ricki Lake, Debbie Harry, and Sonny Bono, as well as frequent Waters collaborators Divine and Mink Stole.

HAIRSPRAY obtained a cult status over the years and was made into a Broadway musical in the 1990s. A film version of the stage musical was released in 2007. In 2016, a live adaptation of the musical aired on NBC.
1615226782881.png
1615226815056.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Speaking of HAIRSPRAY, that triggered my mind to another John Waters movie called CRY-BABY, the 1990 musical starring Johnny Depp as the handsome young rebel who falls in love with a preppy girl. It is basically a cheesy take on GREASE, even though that movie was cheesy in itself.

CRY-BABY is an enjoyable little over-the-top B-musical with some good performances. Outside of Johnny Depp, the cast includes Amy Locane, Ricki Lake, Traci Lords, Mink Stole, and others.
1615227399788.png

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
No, that's Patty McCormack, she continued acting into adulthood. McCormack played Jeffrey Tambor's wife on The Ropers and guest starred on Desperate Housewives and a lot of other series. She played Pat Nixon in the film Frost/Nixon.

McCormack grew up to steal from Lucy Ewing her husband Mitch in the 4th full season. She played the uber-bitchy Evelyn Michaelson, the woman who (supposedly) has had a liftface and tries to seduce her doctor.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A few more titles "susceptible" to be accepted as "camp":
- What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? (The title says it all. Geraldine Page at her creepiest + Ruth Gordon at her usual!)
- The complete filmography of John Waters.
- Empire of the Ants
- The Legend of Lylah Clare
- Beyond the Forest (one of Bette Davis´s least favorite films...) and "Mr. Skeffington" too.
- The Anniversary (same)
- I wouldn´t classify WEHT Baby Jane? as camp, I think it´s got too many excellent elements in it that have improved with time. Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte though...
- Killer Bees (maybe this one was a TVM? Anyway Gloria Swanson was in it!)

1615232611723.png

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A few more titles "susceptible" to be accepted as "camp":
- What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? (The title says it all. Geraldine Page at her creepiest + Ruth Gordon at her usual!)
- The complete filmography of John Waters.
- Empire of the Ants
- The Legend of Lylah Clare
- Beyond the Forest (one of Bette Davis´s least favorite films...) and "Mr. Skeffington" too.
- The Anniversary (same)
- I wouldn´t classify WEHT Baby Jane? as camp, I think it´s got too many excellent elements in it that have improved with time. Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte though...
- Killer Bees (maybe this one was a TVM? Anyway Gloria Swanson was in it!)

Isn't The Legend of Lylah Clare the movie that caused Kim Novak to leave acting for a while? She walks around outside in just a bra! What were they thinking? Throughout the entire movie I was asking myself "what were they thinking?"
I like Mr. Skeffington, it's a little over the top but I'm not sure I'd classify it as camp. I do consider Beyond The Forest to be camp and possibly Deception, too.
Everything John Waters does is absolutely camp.
I haven't seen Killer Bees but the ad certainly makes it look like it is. A lot of the old ABC Movies of the Week qualify.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Isn't The Legend of Lylah Clare the movie that caused Kim Novak to leave acting for a while? She walks around outside in just a bra! What were they thinking? Throughout the entire movie I was asking myself "what were they thinking?"
I like Mr. Skeffington, it's a little over the top but I'm not sure I'd classify it as camp. I do consider Beyond The Forest to be camp and possibly Deception, too.
Everything John Waters does is absolutely camp.
I haven't seen Killer Bees but the ad certainly makes it look like it is. A lot of the old ABC Movies of the Week qualify.
Not sure if it´s that one: maybe you refer to "Gigolo" or "Moll Flanders"? To be honest, I enjoyed LC a lot when I was a teenager and was surprised by the lesbian touch too. I´m a fan of Miss Novak, so I love any movie revolving around her.
"Mr. Skeffington" probably has the most unwillingly funny ending of all Davis vehicles, not gonna say why, but I also liked it, and "Deception" is a delicious B-movie that doesn´t go to camp territory because of the great cast and cinematography. BTF is beyond salvation, lol!

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
More intentional camp, here are two films from Charles Busch:
Poor Lauren Ambrose! I´m sure she´s trying to erase the first one from her IMDb filmography!!