• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Elvis Presley turns 87

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He's been gone longer than he was here.

K

Karin Schill

As usual on Elvis birthday Priscilla is in Memphis celebrating with the fans:

I wonder if Elvis would still be remembered the way he is if Priscilla hadn't taken it upon herself to keep his legacy alive?

I wasn't born when Elvis died and I only first heard of him because I watched Priscilla on Dallas. I remember my dad telling me "That's Elvis widow"
(technically she's not, but close enough) and my reply was: "Who's Elvis?"

So yeah I know of Elvis because of Priscilla. :dance1:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was only two when he died so obviously I had no memory of him. I think my first introduction to him was hearing his music for the first time in the early 80s coupled with Priscilla’s debuting on Dallas. That’s when I began learning much more about him. I can’t believe he’s gone over 44 years already as I vividly remember the 10th anniversary of his death in 1987. Seems like yesterday.

Happy belated Birthday to the King!!

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Long live the King.

Elvis has remained a staple in popular culture, and routinely retains his status as the "King of Rock-n-Roll". When one looks at the overall view of his work, you may be surprised at the lack of consistency. After he returned from the army, the quality of his work tapered off -- a fact usually placed at the feet of Colonel Tom Parker, Elvis' sleazy business manager. The majority of Elvis' filmography is junk -- even though his early films showed great promise -- and he never found the ground to be a successor to the likes of Marlon Brando, a feat Elvis apparently held quite dear. And the soundtracks to those movies were almost equally as awful, despite some good tunes occasionally thrown in the midst.

His 1968 comeback was like a breath of fresh air, but he never allowed himself to get out from under the Colonel's thumb. Right up until 1974 -- when Streisand wanted Elvis for her gutsy remake of A STAR IS BORN -- Elvis was still giving Parker 50% of his earnings and doing practically everything he said.

It's a shame too... Imagine how different the professional -- and even personal -- life of Elvis would've been had Tom Parker been ousted far earlier in Presley's career.

1650898508970.png

At least we have the ELVIS biopic coming in 2022 to look forward to. From what the trailer shows, it's at least trying to be a good movie.

1650898590497.png

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i've never been a much of a fan of his to be honest i don't hate the guy but i have heard some of his stuff from the 50's and the ones i heard had a really good raw sound to them. John Lennon once said that after he was Drafted his music sucks it took away the raw sound that he once had. now i dunno if that's true but i dunno he may be right. i dunno i haven't heard enough music of his to say otherwise

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm not a die-hard Elvis fan just a casual fan who i loves listen to his music and enjoyed most of his films even if most of his films were very bad to watch. I have not seen Elvis Bio pic. but i would love to see how they reflects Elvis life in that movie. :)

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm not a die-hard Elvis fan just a casual fan who i loves listen to his music and enjoyed most of his films even if most of his films were very bad to watch. I have not seen Elvis Bio pic. but i would love to see how they reflects Elvis life in that movie. :)
They do a great job, Austin Butler was astonishing, a real Oscar-worthy performance.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I have to be honest, I'm not really a fan of Elvis Presley or his music.

Sorry about that.

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And I still haven't seen the ELVIS movie.