Falcon Crest Aftershow: Angela Channing's Sister in Law

Gioberti84

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When Jacqueline in her turban appeared for the wedding she said to Chase that she had so much to tell him. Hadn't she a terminal illness but then in the mayhem of shooting byebye long perils, gowns and fur coats. A season 3 with Lana (Jacqueline Perrault) or at least some episodes would have been extra special. She was going to die anyway.

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bringing Lana into the wine saga was a prime example of stunt casting. FC creator Earl Hamner when interviewed told us about Jane's reaction to Lana's hiring: "You can't hire her, she is not a lady!" Despite Jane's cast position as top billing star, the other woman from the Golden Hollywood era comes in. A decades old grapevine provided the snippet, Lana and Jane had their differences i.e. they usually didn't get along.

The publicity train / PR had a field day. There was all the 'behind the scenes' stuff; Lana needing a limo to go to the loo, not showing up on time, forgetting her lines and generally requiring pampering. The two Hollywood Golden Oldies worked for different studios away back in the day, which contributed in some part to their work ethic. Lana was more accustomed to all the trimmings, whereas Jane was a no nonsense 'let's get this done!' type of star.

A climax was inevitable and Jane is reported as saying: "Either she goes or I do!" Before Lana joined as Jacqueline Perrault - Chase's glamorous mother / ex wife of alcoholic Jason, she made a comment: "There is a saying in Hollywood you should always forgive your enemies because you never know when you have to work with them." After a few guest appearances she was being interviewed and told the audience, with regards to Jane Wyman: "There is no feud. It is all a load of bull, to drum up publicity. I respect Jane Wyman!" (words along those lines, from memory).

Lana passed away in 1995, circa 12 years prior to Jane. Ms. Turner aged 74 died of throat cancer. Here is one of her last interviews, a two parter:

Jacqueline Perrault; fur coat and all, arrives into Richard's 'New Globe' office. Richard (adopted) and Chase have been bickering about business. FC granny number two drops a bombshell, (a scene from season 2, 1982 - '83):

Jacqueline: "I've heard enough."

She hands Richard a bit of paper.

Jacqueline: "Here!"

Richard: "What's this?"

Jacqueline: "It's your birth certificate. I'm your mother. You are both my sons!"

The frame freezes on Richard and Chase, as they look towards Jacqueline. 'Grape Granny' Angela (the FC number one) will be furious because her nemesis had an affair with Douglas (the matriarch's 1st husband).

Fade to black. The credits appear and the closing theme tune commences.

Chloe-Fusco

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
How Angela and Jacqueline said their lines and the looks they gave to each other electrified their person to person scenes. They would not have gone all Dynasty - slapping, pulling their gowns and down in the dirt. Yet just once a purse or handbag war would have been fun. "Take that Jacklyn and again!" "I never have nor never will like you Angela!" Maybe Chao-Li needed to be referee.