Days of Our Lives Freddie Smith and Chandler Massey Fired

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm shocked--though they haven't really been writing interesting stories for these two characters in quite a while. There are so few gay characters on daytime. It's awful to lose two big once at one time.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No loss. No loss with the actors that play Rafe and JJ leaving either. The shows cast is too big and needs to be trimmed. There are numerous other actors that could be let go, too. I don’t think the show is done axing members of the cast yet.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm shocked--though they haven't really been writing interesting stories for these two characters in quite a while. There are so few gay characters on daytime. It's awful to lose two big once at one time.

I honestly don't mind it to be honest. They're dull and have been stuck for a while - just have them both leave town.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don’t see how the actor that plays Roman has managed to stick around. He’s an awful recast and has always been. Roman does absolutely nothing for the show. He just says some generic lines here and there (or TRIES to say. The actor has obviously went to the ‘Joan Van Ark School of Plastic Surgery’ and can barely talk his face has been stretched so tightly. That and his sh-t caps/dentures).....

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don’t see how the actor that plays Roman has managed to stick around. He’s an awful recast and has always been. Roman does absolutely nothing for the show. He just says some generic lines here and there (or TRIES to say. The actor has obviously went to the ‘Joan Van Ark School of Plastic Surgery’ and can barely talk his face has been stretched so tightly. That and his sh-t caps/dentures).....

He's golfing buddies with Ken Corday.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree that this is not the last we've heard of the firings. Or are they really firings? Technically everyone was fired, and they're now just 're-hiring' the people who will agree to the offer being made to them--if an offer is made. Corday (likely with frequent input from Ron C) could be using this as a variation on the time jump, a chance to write out what they think isn't working, and keep what is--a re-set, in essence. Except this would be a multi -step process, since the original Bible (story outline for the year) was likely written (by Ron C) without knowing who would accept their (lowered) salaries and who would walk.

Right now, we're likely hearing about those departures who were not included in the Bible, those he wanted to write out (or had to). Writing both Sonny and Will out speaks to the idea that Ron C just didn't know what to do with them, so he closed down that whole corner of the show by writing them both out. If an entire story is no longer deemed viable, we might see other multiple-actor announcements all at once.

After those are weeded out, we will then start hearing about those they wanted to keep but the actor refused the lowered offer. If the actor and the production company can't come to terms, then the Bible will either be retooled, or they will recast the role and continue with the story.

But if Days is still the Days we all know, all these actors will be dumped....and within a year or two, they'll invite the actor(s) back to revive the character. How many times have they brought back characters in an effort to lure back lapsed viewers? That's why Salem funeral homes have revolving doors.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know that Judi Evans is returning in some capacity, but not sure how. God, I hope Adrienne stays dead. Yes, basically everyone was fired en masse and they’re just rehiring the ones they want and the ones that will agree to what the new contracts say. I know Vanessa Williams, Brandon Barish, and Louise Sorel are returning. Alison Sweeney, too (temp). I keep hearing that John Aniston is poised to exit due to retirement, so that should free up some cash. for the show.....

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I honestly don't mind it to be honest. They're dull and have been stuck for a while - just have them both leave town.

For the most part I agree. I enjoyed Will with Paul when he first returned but there really hasn't been much in the way of exciting stories for Sonny and Will since Massey's most recent return. My initial reaction was disappointment, but there's no point in them sticking around to do nothing but be supporting characters in the Ben Show.

I agree that this is not the last we've heard of the firings. Or are they really firings? Technically everyone was fired, and they're now just 're-hiring' the people who will agree to the offer being made to them--if an offer is made. Corday (likely with frequent input from Ron C) could be using this as a variation on the time jump, a chance to write out what they think isn't working, and keep what is--a re-set, in essence. Except this would be a multi -step process, since the original Bible (story outline for the year) was likely written (by Ron C) without knowing who would accept their (lowered) salaries and who would walk.

Massey and Smith were definitely fired and unexpectedly based on what they've said. They seem blindsided. They were asked to come back for six episodes after the shut down and then found out from reading the scripts that they were leaving. From Massey:

And we were talking, like, 'I wonder what this sixth episode is going to bring.' And as we’re talking about it, the script gets delivered to your room and we read it and I mean, I kind of, I truly was shocked. I kept thinking, 'No, surely something will change.

I was stunned. I didn’t even know what to say. It just seems like our story was so...our story was unfinished, and it just happened so abruptly, and to find out through reading the scripts was a little weird, too.

Massey and Smith discuss their firing starting at the 3 minute mark here:

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It’s kinda odd they were let go because there are lots of others that could have been let go to free up some $$$. Chad and Abby could be dumped, too. Roman (as I stated before) could go, but he’s so rarely on the show that he’s basically just a recurring character. I’d def kill Victor off once and for all. The actor’s best days are WAY behind him.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, wow...I had no idea about their return/firing. I just assumed the studio was still dark and they had not returned to work yet. I thought the days of learning you're fired through the script had ended with the days of organ music. How rude! Does the EP have that little regard for the feelings of the actors over there? I mean, I know letting an employee go (if they've done nothing wrong) is a PITA and not everyone can do it, but it's inconceivable to me that the EP would not just call them in the office to break the news in a professional way. I guess they were afraid the two guys would not return at all if they knew it would only be six episodes. But then, why would they even go back to work without a contract signed? The contracts typically have 13-week cycles, so once such a contract is signed, they have to pay you for those 13 weeks even if you get fired the next day. Wow, how rude! Any backlash Days gets for this is quite deserved.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Honestly, this just reinforces that whatever issues that's on screen won't be resolved unless they solve the issues that's behind the scenes.

A lot of people want to replace Ron as a headwriter, but in my opinion that's the least of their problems.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe they were problems behind the scenes and were fired because of it? This is the second time that Massey has been fired.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe they were problems behind the scenes and were fired because of it? This is the second time that Massey has been fired.

Massey wasn't fired the first time - he left, supposedly due to wanting to go to "college". It failed so he came back.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I guess they were afraid the two guys would not return at all if they knew it would only be six episodes.

Supposedly the show asked a number of the cast members back for an initial six episodes, saying they weren't issuing contracts yet. It feels like they essentially tricked them into coming back so they could wrap up their story. When they were planning where they were heading story wise during the shut down, they must have realized that telling people they weren't going to offer them a new contract might lead to some saying screw it and not come back, so that came up with this ruse to get them to wrap up the story. It stinks. Freddie said that where they picked up filming after the shut down was later that same day--episode-wise. Clearly they didn't leave before the shut down in a spot where WilSon could just disappear.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Supposedly the show asked a number of the cast members back for an initial six episodes, saying they weren't issuing contracts yet. It feels like they essentially tricked them into coming back so they could wrap up their story. When they were planning where they were heading story wise during the shut down, they must have realized that telling people they weren't going to offer them a new contract might lead to some saying screw it and not come back, so that came up with this ruse to get them to wrap up the story. It stinks. Freddie said that where they picked up filming after the shut down was later that same day--episode-wise. Clearly they didn't leave before the shut down in a spot where WilSon could just disappear.

I mean, I'm not going to miss Galen and Freddie, but at the same time they were two of the shows biggest defenders. Yikes. I guess both know they're likely to be back sooner rather than later for not going completely bitter on social media.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hmph! When I was writing that other post, I was tempted to suggest the EP tricked the actors into doing the six days but thought "No, that would be slanderous to suggest he would trick his actors into doing their own exit scenes without a contract...there has to be more to it" and deleted the sentence. So now it turns out they likely did just that. Moreover, they could have written the material with plans to edit or re-arrange some of it to air onscreen in a very different way than it looked on the pages--mixed it up a bit to obscure the fact that the material is an exit story. They have a pleasant scene that ends with one leaving to head off to work...and then cut to the next scene where you see a car going over a cliff, Toonces-style.

Of course, it might be easier if Rafe, JJ, Will, etc. all board a bus that goes over the cliff. Or maybe a Falcon Crest-style plane crash!

Last edited:

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I mean, I'm not going to miss Galen and Freddie, but at the same time they were two of the shows biggest defenders. Yikes. I guess both know they're likely to be back sooner rather than later for not going completely bitter on social media.

I won't miss Rafe at all. I can't believe the character has lasted as long as he has.

When I was writing that other post, I was tempted to suggest the EP tricked the actors into doing the six days but thought "No, that would be slanderous to suggest he would trick his actors into doing their own exit scenes without a contract...there has to be more to it" and deleted the sentence. So now it turns out they likely did just that.

When they returned, the show gave Freddie and Chandler the first five scripts. They felt from the first five scripts that something was amiss and that it didn't look good but thought the sixth script would turn things around. Still, they reached out to other cast members to see if any of them had been offered a contract yet, because they felt a bit unsettled by where the writing seemed to be leading the characters. They were told by other cast members that they had the same six episode deal. Then Freddie and Chandler got the sixth script and realized it was over. Freddie later talked to an EP or something and the EP was awkward and wouldn't meet their eyes and said "yeah this is happening." Freddie says that they still haven't had anyone in an official capacity "say goodbye or mention anything." All of this is in Freddie and Chandler's words, from Freddie's podcast.

Of course, it might be easier if Rafe, JJ, Will, etc. all board a bus that goes over the cliff. Or maybe a Falcon Crest-style plane crash!

I'll take that over another serial killer storyline.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Massey wasn't fired the first time - he left, supposedly due to wanting to go to "college". It failed so he came back.

No, he was fired. He was let go WAY earlier than he was supposed to have left because he divulged that he was leaving the show before he should have. He was immediately terminated even though he was leaving of his own accord.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I won't miss Rafe at all. I can't believe the character has lasted as long as he has.

It's absurd to think he's lasted 12+ years now. I guess if Gabi had been a center piece all along like now it would've been explainable, but even now we barely know they're family.

Oh well. Galen seems like a nice guy and I'm sure Alison Sweeney will put him in Hallmark movies, which is a better gig than the currents mess that's DAYS.