Movie Top Ten Bette Davis

K

Karin Schill

Okay up next is this legendary actor:
Henry_Fonda_in_Warlock.jpg

Henry Jaynes Fonda was an American actor. He was born on 16th May, 1905 in Grand Island, Nebraska, USA. His father was a printer, his mother a housewife and he had two sisters. He was of Dutch and Italian descent.

Henry Fonda began his career at the age of 20 when he got a part at the local theater in Omaha. He then moved east to pursue a career on the stage and ended up working on Broadway. He then moved to Hollywood where he got his big break in the movie The Farmer Takes a wife (1935). He took a break from making movies when he enlisted in the US Navy during World War II. After the war he resumed his stage career and worked on Broadway. He won a Tony award in 1948 for the play Mister Roberts.

After eight years he returned to Hollywood and making movies. He then continued to enjoy a successful career and in 1982 he won an Oscar for the movie On Golden Pond (1981) where he co-starred with his daughter Jane Fonda. Henry Fonda died on 12th August, 1982 in Los Angeles, California, USA.

During his five decades long career he made approximately 90 movies. But which one is your favorite?

Totals: In December.

This star was requested by: @Barbara Fan

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have to give 10 points to Grapes of Wrath. The book was much too long and slow so the movie was my savior. Plus, how hot is Fonda on this cover?!

1. Grapes of Wrath
2. 12 Angry Men
3. War and Peace

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
  1. The Lady Eve
  2. Yours, Mine and Ours
  3. The Big Street
  4. 12 Angry Men
  5. Mister Roberts
  6. Jezebel
  7. Drums Along the Mohawk
  8. Advise & Consent
  9. Daisy Kenyon
  10. On Golden Pond

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I love Henry Fonda, one of my all time favs

1. The Long Night with BBG
  2. 12 angry men
  3. On Golden Pond
  4. The grapes of wrath
  5. jezebel
  6. The longest day
  7. how the west was won
  8. The Boston strangler
  9. In harms way
  10. Failsafe

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, I own:

12 ANGRY MEN
GRAPES OF WRATH
FAILSAFE
MISTER ROBERTS
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
ON GOLDEN POND

Some of which were my parents' videos.

Katharine Hepburn described him as "cold, cold, cold" and "sad."

Last edited by a moderator:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I don´t particularly like Mr. Fonda (though I love his daughter) but I think he was a heavyweight of his era, more an actor than merely a star. Here are my choices:

1- The Lady Eve
2- Jezebel
3- On Golden Pond
4- The Long Night
5- You Only Live Once
6- Sometimes a Great Notion
7- The Wrong Man
8- Fort Apache
9- Sex and the Single Girl
10- Daisy Kenyon

1637528844183.png

K

Karin Schill

Okay so this would be my Henry Fonda list:

1. On Golden Pond (1981)
2. Ash Wednesday (1973)
3. The Longest Day (1962)
4. War and Peace (1956)
5. The Long Night (1947)
6. Fail Safe (1964)

K

Karin Schill

Okay so apparently your favorite Henry Fonda movie is:

1641384126877.png

12 Angry Men (1957)
In this courtroom drama 12 men are doing jury duty as they are trying to decide whether and 18 year old man is guilty of killing his father or not. Henry Fonda portrays Davis who is juror 8, who is justice seeking. He is the only one who votes not guilty, which leads to heated discussions where the jurors has to confront their own morals and values. The movie is directed by: Sidney Lumet. It was also produced by Henry Fonda.

You gave it a total of: 45 points.

You can see a trailer of the winning movie here:

The runner up movie was:

1641384518632.png

On Golden Pond (1981)
In this family drama Henry Fonda portrays Norman Thayer. An elderly man who usually spends his summer on Golden pond with his wife Ethel, who is portrayed by Katharine Hepburn. This summer their daughter and grandson comes to visit them. The daughter is portrayd by Henry's real life daughter Jane Fonda. This is Henry Fonda's final movie.

You gave it a total of 37 points.

You can see a trailer for that movie here:

Then here's the rest of the list:

The Grapes of Wrath (1940) 35 p.

Jezebel (1938) 28 p.
The Long Night (1947) 23 p.
The Lady Eve (1941) 20 p.
War and Peace (1956) 15 p.
Fail Safe (1964) 14 p.
Mister Roberts (1955) 13 p.
The Longest Day (1962) 13 p.
Once Upon A Time In The West (1968) 13 p.
The Wrong Man (1956) 10 p.

Yours, Mine and Ours (1968) 9 p.
Ash Wednesday (1973) 9 p.
The Big Street (1942) 8 p.
You Only Live Once (1937) 6 p.
Sometimes a Great Notion (1971) 5 p.
4 Drums Along the Mohawk (1939) 4 p.
How the West was Won (1962) 4 p.
Daisy Kenyon (1947) 3 p.
Fort Apache (1948) 3 p.
Advise & Consent (1962) 3 p.
The Boston Strangler (1968) 3 p.
Sex and the Single Girl (1964) 2 p.
In Harm’s Way (1965) 2 p.

Thanks to everyone who took part in this round. :)

K

Karin Schill

Up next is another one of my favorite stars:
1641387648470.png

Grace Patricia Kelly was an American actress. She was born on 12 November 1929 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Her father was an athlete who had won three Olympic gold for rowing in a team. He also had a successful brickwork contracting company. Her mother was a former athletic teacher who turned housewife after her marriage. Grace Kelly grew up with an older brother and sister and a younger sister. They were a Roman Catholic family of German-Irish-American descent.

Grace Kelly studied at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York and made her Broadway debut in the play “The Father” by Strindberg. She graduated at the age of 19 and pursued a professional acting career. She also did commercials, modeling and starred in TV-series. The first movie she ever made was Fourteen Hours (1951). Her big break came a year later with High Noon (1952) and in 1955 she won the Oscar for The Country Girl (1954). She also collaborated on several films with the famous director Alfred Hitchcock.

In 1956 Grace Kelly got married to Prince Rainer III of Monaco. It made her a real life princess known as Grace of Monaco and she retired from acting to raise a family. On 14th September, 1982 her life was cut short when she died in a car accident in Monaco. She was 52 years old.

During her career she only made 11 movies. But which one of these are your favorite?

Totals: In January.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
During her career she only made 11 movies. But which one of these are your favorite?

When I saw Grace Kelly in the title, my first thought was "Did she even make 10 movies?" I guess she did, but just barely.

Except for HIGH SOCIETY -- which I didn't like -- I enjoyed each of Grace's films that I've seen.
  1. To Catch a Thief
  2. Rear Window
  3. Dial M for Murder
  4. High Noon
  5. Mogambo

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Not really a Grace Kelly fan in film bit loved growing up and hearing about the Grimaldis and always thought Princess Caroline was so stylish and really wanted her to marry Robertino Rossellini / Ingrids son as they used to go out together!

1. Fourteen hours as it stars BBG
  2. Rear Window - for james Stewart and Hitch
  3. To catch a thief - for Cary Grant and Hitch
  4. Dial M for Murder - for Hitch

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
1 - To Catch a Thief
2 - Rear Window
3 - Dial M for Murder
4 - The Swan
5 - High Society
6 - High Noon
7 - Mogambo
8 - The Country Girl
9 - 14 Hours

Last edited by a moderator:

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm not a big fan of Grace Kelly but she's appeared in some great films, the top film in my list is one of my all time favourites.
  1. High Noon
  2. Dial M For Murder
  3. Rear Window
  4. To Catch A Thief
  5. High Society

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When I first saw that Grace Kelly was the topic of the latest top ten, I originally thought, "Did she even make enough movies to compile on such a list?" Well, as it turns out, she made 11 movies in her brief Hollywood career, almost all of them considered classics.

When I first got into old movies, Grace was one of the actresses my grandmother spoke fondly of. She always called her "Princess Grace", and she urged me to check out her films. Over the years, I've seen practically all of her films, with just a few exceptions being her debut in FOURTEEN HOURS, her only box office dud in GREEN FIRE, and her second-to-last film called THE SWAN.

Of her films, I'd say REAR WINDOW or DIAL M FOR MURDER is my favorite. She's unbelievably beautiful in both, and those two movies helped solidify her as the epitome of '50s high fashion on the silver screen. When I think of Grace, I always think about her work with director Alfred Hitchcock. It's practically impossible for me to separate her career from the work she did with Hitchcock. TO CATCH A THIEF is another iconic film, and one wonders: What other roles in Hitchcock films would Grace had played had she not retired so prematurely? It's easy to picture her as Judy Barton/Madeleine Elster in VERTIGO, Marion Crane in PSYCHO, and the leads in THE BIRDS and MARNIE, the latter which Hitchcock almost lured away from Monaco to make (although her prince refused to let her).

I won't do a ranking because I'm not familiar enough with her films to do so. I've seen REAR WINDOW the most, so I'd place it at the top, but I haven't the slightest idea where I'd place the rest.

But she was quite beautiful.

1641412093796.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In MOGAMBO, she took over a role intended for Gene Tierney, a big star for Fox in the '40s, who had to drop out because of mental illness. In that movie, she co-stars with Clark Gable and the sultry Ava Gardner, although I'd argue Grace gives a better performance than Ava did in the film, which earned the latter her only Oscar nomination.​

K

Karin Schill

Thanks for joining in everyone! :)

When I saw Grace Kelly in the title, my first thought was "Did she even make 10 movies?" I guess she did, but just barely.

I know her career was really cut short. It's a shame she wasn't allowed to act after she married her prince. But I guess she took on a different type of role and unlike Meghan Markle who sadly couldn't cope with being a working royal, Princess Grace played her new role to perfection!

Not really a Grace Kelly fan in film bit loved growing up and hearing about the Grimaldis and always thought Princess Caroline was so stylish and really wanted her to marry Robertino Rossellini / Ingrids son as they used to go out together!

Oh I didn't know they used to date!
But yes I have enjoyed reading about her children Princess Caroline, Prince Albert and Princess Stephanie in the women's magazines as I grew up too.:)
I think it's amazing how much her grandchildren reminds of Grace Kelly. They are all beautiful.

In MOGAMBO, she took over a role intended for Gene Tierney, a big star for Fox in the '40s, who had to drop out because of mental illness. In that movie, she co-stars with Clark Gable and the sultry Ava Gardner, although I'd argue Grace gives a better performance than Ava did in the film, which earned the latter her only Oscar nomination.​
Thanks for joining in. I think "Mogambo" might be my most favorite of Grace Kelly's films. :)
I have watched all of her films except "Fourteen Hours". I am not sure if it's available on DVD. Grace Kelly is one of my sister's favorite actress so she's got a lot of her films on DVD or VHS. The first movie I ever saw with Grace Kelly was "Dial M for Murder". I was a teenager at the time and I remember thinking it was very suspenseful. I also remember watching "Rear Window" while studying film at the university. It was a treat to watch it in class. :)

I am sure Grace Kelly would have worked with Hitchcock again if she hadn't retired. Too bad she didn't return for Marnie.

I will return with my list of her movies later as I need to think about how to rank them. If you'd like feel free to join in with a list too!

K

Karin Schill

It's not easy to rank Grace Kelly's movies. But I think I will rank them like this:

1. Mogambo (1953)
2. High Society (1956)
3. To Catch a Thief (1955)
4. The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954)
5. Rear Window (1954)
6. The Swan (1956)
7. Dial M For Murder (1954)
8. The Country Girl (1954)
9. High Noon (1952)
10. Green Fire (1954)