• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Hollyoaks Hollyoaks

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Beautiful and moving scene at the end tonight, the Juliet storyline in Hollyoaks is tragic and so well done and every bit as moving as those of Lola in EastEnders.

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Interesting in the latest Thinkbox ratings week ending 14 May, Home and Away on C5 shown at 1:45 in the afternoon is rating higher than Hollyoaks on C4 at 6:30 in the evening.

Home and Away's highest rating of the week: 406K. 12.3% at 27 in Channel 5's top 50.

Hollyoaks does not make C4's top 50 shows so do not know the rating. At number 50 in C4's rating is Help we bought a village with 297K, 5.5%. The highest rating for the soap was on E4 at 7 in the evening with 322K, 4.1%.

How long can C4 justify Hollyoaks on the main channel?

https://www.thinkbox.tv/research/barb-d ... g=Channel5

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hollyoaks does not make C4's top 50 shows
Wow!
How long can C4 justify Hollyoaks on the main channel?
I’m presuming Channel 4 have just given up trying to be competitive in the 6.30pm slot and have left Hollyoaks there as a placeholder and as an advert to drive viewers to the app (where I’m guessing Hollyoaks does good numbers). However, if I’d to guess which one of the UK soaps will the first to do a “Days of Our Lives” and move to streaming only, I’d say it’ll eventually be Hollyoaks.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
This is sad news for the fans. I myself stopped watching Hollyoaks last summer. At some point it just felt like a waste of time for me. The characters I still liked didn't have great storylines, nothing caught me anymore, although the writers try to offer different topics, but in the end it's always the same: too many people you like die sooner or later - and from what I read here recently, another strong character that I liked died, what a surprise! A while ago I had some time on my tv schedule and gave Hollyoaks another chance but nothing had changed and so I was gone after one episode. I can definitely understand why fewer and fewer viewers want to watch Hollyoaks, but it's still sad seeing soaps drift away.

Last edited:

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Three stories I like: Charlie' s struggle (and the uncertainty of it) with anxiety, the fabulous mother-and-son Fox duo and James vs. the McQueens: pure gold.

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
Wow!

I’m presuming Channel 4 have just given up trying to be competitive in the 6.30pm slot and have left Hollyoaks there as a placeholder and as an advert to drive viewers to the app (where I’m guessing Hollyoaks does good numbers). However, if I’d to guess which one of the UK soaps will the first to do a “Days of Our Lives” and move to streaming only, I’d say it’ll eventually be Hollyoaks.
Well, C4 announced today that Hollyoaks is moving to being a E4-only show from 25th September, with airings on Channel 4's streaming service and YouTube.

The weekend omnibus airing on C4 with British Sign Language, which nowadays airs at 3am, will stay.

Not sure what will replace Hollyoaks at 6.30pm.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, C4 announced today that Hollyoaks is moving to being a E4-only show from 25th September, with airings on Channel 4's streaming service and YouTube.
Not surprising considering what @Walford Boy was saying about it not featuring in Channel 4’s top 50 anymore. I saw an article where it said that 64% of viewers were now watching online anyway, so when you split the remaining 36% between Channel 4 and E4, the linear ratings must be minuscule.

The weekend omnibus airing on C4 with British Sign Language, which nowadays airs at 3am, will stay.
I did not know the omnibus still existed on Channel 4. I figured it was online only.

Not sure what will replace Hollyoaks at 6.30pm.
I’d imagine we’ll get sitcom / reality reruns in the short term and then they might try to revamp the teatime slot at a later date.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I saw an article where it said that 64% of viewers were now watching online anyway, so when you split the remaining 36% between Channel 4 and E4, the linear ratings must be minuscule.
Actually, I’ve just read elsewhere that it’s “64% of viewers watch via first-look streaming or on E4” but my point still stands. 36% of an already reduced viewership is likely quite low.

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
Hollyoaks is currently enjoying a purple patch.
It's so insane at the moment... makes for excellent viewing.

Poor old Mercedes, only done got herself in a spot of bother. One baby sired by Felix and her other happy surprise the fruit of Warren's loin.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Channel 4 have given with one hand and taken away with the other by recently announcing that the show was being renewed in a multi year deal but today announcing that it would be reduced to three 20 minute episodes a week. The reduction apparently could lead to up to 135 job losses at the soap.

Ollie james

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Channel 4 have given with one hand and taken away with the other by recently announcing that the show was being renewed in a multi year deal but today announcing that it would be reduced to three 20 minute episodes a week. The reduction apparently could lead to up to 135 job losses at the soap.
Hard to see this as anything positive regarding the future of the show.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hard to see this as anything positive regarding the future of the show.
I’ve seen references to a “multi-year” deal in a few articles but I can’t seem to find how many years that is supposed to be for. To be honest, a reduction in episodes is not too surprising. It didn’t make sense that the budget would carry over to the streaming service intact, when losing part of their audience (linear TV viewers who didn’t follow the show online) was a given in the move. You’d hope for the sake of viewers that they don’t cut back too far. I remember in the dying days of Brookside, there’d be weeks where episodes would only focus on a handful of characters and the whole place felt a bit barren.

Whovian

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
This screams cancellation in the next few years. First it's shifted off to a little watched digital channel and then it's cut to three 20 minute episodes. Next step will probably be online only then quietly cancelled.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This screams cancellation in the next few years. First it's shifted off to a little watched digital channel and then it's cut to three 20 minute episodes. Next step will probably be online only then quietly cancelled.
Who knows! When Neighbours moved to Eleven, people speculated that it was being put out to pasture but it ran there for another decade. Channel 4 wouldn’t have renewed Hollyoaks if they didn’t have some sort of faith in the show and cutting back is obviously an attempt to conserve it and make it work. If they’d lost interest, they’d have just axed it. If I remember correctly, Brookside being shifted around the schedule was Channel 4 seeing out its contract rather than them trying to make it work in another format.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Tabloids are reporting that the show is planning to axe twenty characters, via a one year time jump, when it cuts back to three episodes a week this September. The time jump will apparently allow them to explain that some characters just moved away from the village rather than having to kill off or drop twenty people in quick succession onscreen. They haven’t revealed who’ll be getting the chop but Jamie Lomas (Warren) and Owen Warner (Romeo) have already announced that they’re leaving the show of their own accord.