If Disney Got the Rights to Dallas

Ray_Krebbs

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know this might sound absurd, but I think Disney could help revive the brand to appeal to current fans and the younger generation at the same time. Look at all they did for Star Wars - movies, TV shows, rides, etc. They could create Dallas continuations, spin offs and prequels for Disney Plus. A tour of Southfork might be cool. The ride takes a sudden turn around when restless show up and start shooting. It becomes faster to ride guests out of the pasture to safety.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It would be cooler if the city of Dallas created something in the same lines as what ABBA has done in London with their ABBA Voyager show. Imagine a purpose built arena or theater and we're sitting there watching avatars of Jock, Miss Ellie, J.R., Bobby, Pam and others play out scenes. Now that would be super cool. I'd sit on a plane for 17 hours for that. To create this is not cheap and some stories are stating it was near the £140 million mark. Industrial Light & Magic were behind it and supposedly up to a billion hours was used to create the show.

On a more serious note regarding this thread. Highly unlikely Warner Bros will sell off the Dallas brand to Disney. We will soon find out what Warner Bros has installed for us Dallas fans after their digital remastering of Dallas. Will it be for streaming purposes only or do they have their heads screwed on and will sell it as a boxset. I'm hoping for the boxset as I'm desperate to get my hands on it so I can watch it all.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Keep Disney away from Dallas.

They completely f**ked up Star Wars, so don't even go there! :(

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know this might sound absurd, but I think Disney could help revive the brand to appeal to current fans and the younger generation at the same time. Look at all they did for Star Wars - movies, TV shows, rides, etc. They could create Dallas continuations, spin offs and prequels for Disney Plus. A tour of Southfork might be cool. The ride takes a sudden turn around when restless show up and start shooting. It becomes faster to ride guests out of the pasture to safety.

As a Huge Star Wars fan, keep Disney away. They will go out of their way to make the men look like total idiots

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
As a Huge Star Wars fan, keep Disney away. They will go out of their way to make the men look like total idiots

Totally agree.

If Dallas is ever to return to TV let it be from someone who has actually seen the original series.

And keep Cynthia Cidre well away from it. :)

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If Dallas is ever to return to TV let it be from someone who has actually seen the original series.
While a superfan might do it justice I seriously question myself now if there is a market for a Dallas type series, even as a continuation or reboot. I don't see a continuation working as Southfork is surrounded by new residential homes. Back in the late 70's and 80's we bought the premise Southfork was a sprawling ranch. Nowadays a few clicks of the mouse or a swipe here or there and we know that's not the case.

Dallas going forward (as a continuation) can only belong on a streaming service, far removed from those pesky executives who are not creative types, someone who is a fan of the original and understands the nuances Dallas had could successfully create the ongoing story of the Ewing family. I personally would be ruthless in my approach to a continuation.

First up? Clean up the mess left by TNT Dallas. That's an easy fix since 8 years have passed. Wow, time flies. I'd still keep Christopher dead only because Jesse didn't quite cut it for me...and well we need to cut our ties with Barnes family as Cliff is dead. I would have Christopher's son, aged 8 being raised by Bobby and Ann at Southfork as Elena died in childbirth. That gets rid of the Ramos family. I know some here didn't like Ann or her pairing with Bobby but I happen to like the actress and it would be good to see their marriage is still surviving as we need a solid foundation to grow from.

That secret daughter of J.R.? Gone. Hated the idea. While it is feasible J.R. fathered children we weren't aware of I'd prefer to keep things simple. John Ross could make some passing shot she was after the Ewing money or we simply don't mention her.

Of course Sue Ellen and John Ross are still with us. John Ross however needs to be married with kids. I'd have Sue Ellen, John Ross, his wife and kids living on their own sprawling Dallas ranch. Ewing Energies still exists only because I see that name as being a company which has diversified into other avenues, not just oil. I'd have Bobby and John Ross successfully running the company as true partners after the horrific death of Christopher.

We have to deal with Lucas. He is the catalyst for driving this continuation forward. His abrupt arrival at Southfork suddenly opens up the drama between him and Bobby and John Ross and Lucas.

But for any continuation of Dallas to succeed it has to be character driven with a strong focus on its heritage. That includes returning Southfork to its original floor plan and life like paintings of Jock, Miss Ellie, J.R. and Christopher on the walls of the living room.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
There has been quite a bit of backlash from Star Wars fans since Disney gained the rights.
Many, Many Star Wars fans have been vocal about how they dislike the direction of the franchise.
Even George Lucas and Mark Hamill have been less than enthusiastic about it.
The Hans Solo movie lost money, and the 3rd installment of the movie had a =/- 50% decrease
from the box office total for the 1st movie.
Hasbro had to lay off workers because merchandising sales have been disappointing.
While Star Wars is no doubt profitable, it could be even much more so,
with better management.

I have not seen the Disney Trilogy movies, I have no intention of seeing them, simply
because I am not a big Stars Wars fan, except for the original and The Empire Strikes Back.
I will defer to the Stars Wars fans with regard to quality, or lack of quality, about the Disney versions.

All of this is to say that I don't think Disney would be the best choice for a new "Dallas',
based on the Star Wars experience.
Whoever does manage a new version should be someone who respects the show
and understands the fan base.

Jabari Lamar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There has been quite a bit of backlash from Star Wars fans since Disney gained the rights.
Many, Many Star Wars fans have been vocal about how they dislike the direction of the franchise.
And yet many many old and, more importantly, NEW fans have are loving the new direction of the franchise as it's shifted to shows on Disney+ which are all successful and expanding. You can focus on the "backlash" from the vocal minority on the internet who whine about SJW's and whatnot but, ultimately, that doesn't matter. Right now my FB and Twitter timelines are full of fans praising the new Obi Wan Kenobi series, same as the were when the other shows came out (although admittedly reaction to season 1 of Book of Boba Fett was mixed). Mistakes were clearly made with the sequel films but the studio has course-corrected quite well, so far.

Ray_Krebbs

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree with Jabari. If Disney got the right team, they could be the ones to push Dallas places it has never gone much like Star Wars

Jabari Lamar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree with Jabari. If Disney got the right team, they could be the ones to push Dallas places it has never gone much like Star Wars
Well, I didn't quite say that. I think Billy and Jock's criticism of Disney's Star Wars franchise is ridiculous, but it doesn't necessarily mean Disney should take over the Dallas brand. I mean, as much as I love Dallas and think the concept still has much potential, it's not comparable to Star Wars. I don't really see Dallas attractions at Disneyworld or Disneyland ever being a thing. But I do think a Dallas REBOOT (which is what it would have to be, and us old-ass fans need to accept that) and rather than Disney I think a cable network like HBO or Showtime would be the proper venue. I've point to shows like Billions and Succession as examples of what I think modern day Dallas could look like.

I haven't managed to watch any yet, but from I hear I also think you could point to Paramount +'s YELLOWSTONE (which sounds Dallas if it focused on Southfork instead of the oil business) as another example of how modern Dallas could succeed. And they indeed seem to be creating the type of franchise with spin-offs and prequels that you're talking about.

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And yet many many old and, more importantly, NEW fans have are loving the new direction of the franchise as it's shifted to shows on Disney+ which are all successful and expanding. You can focus on the "backlash" from the vocal minority on the internet who whine about SJW's and whatnot but, ultimately, that doesn't matter. Right now my FB and Twitter timelines are full of fans praising the new Obi Wan Kenobi series, same as the were when the other shows came out (although admittedly reaction to season 1 of Book of Boba Fett was mixed). Mistakes were clearly made with the sequel films but the studio has course-corrected quite well, so far.

We’re talking about the cinematic sagas. Those aren’t praised at all. Of course, you have people that like them, but you have more who think they’re “meh.” They’ve done a good job with the Disney plus series, nobody’s debating that, but they’ve received a ton of backlash from a lot of fans, not just the vocal few, about the sequel trilogy.

And trying something different doesn’t automatically make it better.

Last edited:

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My only gripe of the movies was bringing back Palpatine. It ruined the dramatic Vader throwing him to his death. It seemed more farfetched than Parmalee being Jock

And that can be traced back to Rian Johnson’s idiotic decision to prematurely kill off the new big bad Snoke in The Last Jedi.

Jabari Lamar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We’re talking about the cinematic sagas.
I'm talking about the franchise in total. Which includes everything, film, TV, books, comics, video games, etc. The way they're handling the Star Wars franchise now, which includes the decision to focus on TV series, is objectively successful. I didn't like the sequels either, but like I said they've course-corrected and are doing a great job. The entertainment industry and how viewers consume it is different. You don't need to focus on one big film trilogy at a time. And since this thread was specifically about Disney taking over Dallas as a TV series, their success in that field is most relevant.

Of course, you have people that like them, but you have more who think they’re “meh.”
"More," is subjective, but like I said I didn't care for them either, and I respect the opinion of anyone with constructive criticism. But there were a lot of small but vocal fans with idiotic opinions, and considering that your first complaint here was that Disney would "go out of their way to make men look bad", I can already tell which type of "fan" you are.

And trying something different doesn’t automatically make it better.
Doesn't automatically make it worse either.

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm talking about the franchise in total. Which includes everything, film, TV, books, comics, video games, etc. The way they're handling the Star Wars franchise now, which includes the decision to focus on TV series, is objectively successful. I didn't like the sequels either, but like I said they've course-corrected and are doing a great job. The entertainment industry and how viewers consume it is different. You don't need to focus on one big film trilogy at a time. And since this thread was specifically about Disney taking over Dallas as a TV series, their success in that field is most relevant.

"More," is subjective, but like I said I didn't care for them either, and I respect the opinion of anyone with constructive criticism. But there were a lot of small but vocal fans with idiotic opinions, and considering that your first complaint here was that Disney would "go out of their way to make men look bad", I can already tell which type of "fan" you are.

Doesn't automatically make it worse either.

First of all, you can’t tell me nothing about what kinda fan I am because you don’t know me from Adam. Second, whether you like it or not, Disney has been criticized by a lot of people for their handling of Star Wars. Even Mark Hamill has been critical of them. I guess he doesn’t know what he’s talking about either. And so never said Disney trying something different made it worse, unlike you or someone else implying that it made Star Wars better.

And Rey was a Mary Sue. You can quote me on that one.

Last edited: