It's About Time

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
IT'S ABOUT TIME is one show that has completely slipped my mind. It aired on CBS during the 196667 television season. The series was created by Sherwood Schwartz, the creator of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND for the same network.

Anyone familiar with this show? The complete series is out on DVD, so I'm seriously considering buying it.

1624652556735.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here's the DVD available on Amazon. At the time of this posting a brand new copy is $19.96 (US).

1624654045333.png

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've never seen more than a few clips of this show, but it looks terrible; little wonder it didn't last.

The only interesting thing about the show is that its opening credits combined the two big fads of 60s sitcoms: the animated sequence and the jingle that explains the premise. Did any other show have both? Most that I recall had one or the other.

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nice interview and a very smart man. He’s right that the show might’ve done better if it came out two years later. I never thought of that.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Schwartz's knowledge of the space program is woeful. Glenn never landed on the moon; he was the first American in orbit in 1962. McDivitt never landed on the moon either.
When It's About Time started in 1966 the Gemini program was still full swing. The capsule vaguely resembled the two-man Gemini spacecraft. I think the same prop lands in the lagoon in one episode of Gilligan's Island.
Also, I Dream of Jeannie successfully satirised the space program starting in 1965. The Space Race was huge all through the 60s.
I think Schwartz needs to look elsewhere to explain the failure of It's About Time.