• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Jean Harlow: The Original Platinum Blonde

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Any Jean Harlow fans here? I know there's got to be....

I've been into Harlow for years, and I fell in love with her movies after seeing her in Dinner at Eight. I've seen several of her films, and I come to the conclusion that she's one of the more under-appreciated Golden Age comediennes. She was definitely a jewel, gone far too soon.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yesterday morning I watched Red Dust. I'll be back to give my two cents on the movie itself later on today when I've got the time.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There's got to be some Jean Harlow fans here on Soap Chat. Don't hold out on me. Come on in and join the discussion! :)

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
So @Toni, can I assume you are a fan?

I´m not sure if I´ve seen enough of her movies to call myself a fan, but I definitely like her, and her death was tremendously sad. She was indeed a gem in the pre-Hays era, but I´m not sure if she would have succeed later on. I´ll try to watch a few of her movies soon, especially "Red Dust", and will post my opinion here. Jean was one of the most stunning women of her era, that´s for sure!

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I´m not sure if I´ve seen enough of her movies to call myself a fan, but I definitely like her, and her death was tremendously sad. She was indeed a gem in the pre-Hays era, but I´m not sure if she would have succeed later on. I´ll try to watch a few of her movies soon, especially "Red Dust", and will post my opinion here. Jean was one of the most stunning women of her era, that´s for sure!

Jean Harlow was the discovery of billionaire filmmaker Howard Hughes. He spotted her while she was still doing extra work at a time when the film industry was making its transition from silent to sound at the end of the 1920s. Hughes snatched Harlow up and gave her a top role in Hell's Angels, his aviation picture he was filming as one of the talking cinema's first big-budget epics. It was a commercial hit in 1930, even though the critics gave less-than-favorable reviews to Jean's performance. One newspaper went as far as calling her "just plain awful". She worked with Hughes for the next year or so, appearing in such films as The Secret Six and Platinum Blonde (both 1931), the latter which underwent a title change specifically to highlight Harlow's unique hair color, which Hughes' publicists called platinum. She was also James Cagney's side girl in the classic gangster movie The Public Enemy that same year.

Jean signed a deal with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in 1932. Her first assignment was dying her hair red for the title role in Red-Headed Woman, which brought her introduction as a mainstream star. She was a great gem of Pre-Code Hollywood, providing her own brand of sexiness through a small-framed body topped by a toss of white-colored hair, brought together with a voice she seems to have stolen from a waitress in Arkansas. Dinner at Eight, the 1933 comedy-drama featuring Harlow with an ensemble cast, might very well have been the pinnacle of her career before the Hays Code took over entirely. She is all the lovelier as Wallace Beery's social-climbing and adulterous wife, and spits wisecracks and venom right back to the bulky Beery with a surprising ease. It's a delicious film throughout, an outcome Harlow certainly had her hand in presenting.

The Production Code (also known as the Hays Code, the Hays Office, or simply the censorship bureau) was officially enforced in early July 1934. Without getting into all the details, the basic objective of the Code was to clean-up Hollywood films and the movie stars in them. I recollect hearing one tidbit where an executive of the Code said the "cheap and tawdry" were out. Good people, as they saw it, had no desire to watch movies cluttered with such vulgarity.

This sent several studios into quite a panic over what to do with their stars known for risque behavior, and MGM was certainly aware of their issue with Jean Harlow. What could they do with her? She was a steadily rising powerhouse at the box office, as her pictures were making the studio millions, but she would have to be rebranded in order to survive and make the cut in this now active post-Code environment. Her 1934 comedy The Girl from Missouri had been originally called Never Been Kissed, but the censors objected to the title without even reading the script. Surprisingly, the film manages to keep a little of pre-Code spice, coupled with reformed watered down cheesiness. The result is a genuinely amusing experience, but on an uneven slope.

Jean was still her platinum-haired self for her two 1935 releases, namely Reckless and China Seas. The former cast her as a stage star caught in the middle of a real life melodrama when her husband commits suicide. While the film itself is quite reasonable enough, the dubbing of Harlow's singing voice is noticeable and tosses the story off-balance. The latter paired her with Clark Gable for the fourth time as his sassy good-time girl, who manages to snatch a ticket to be a passenger on the ship he captains. These films offer what remained of Jean's pre-Code sexiness and colorful on-screen personality.

It was 1936 that MGM really kicked it into high gear to rebrand Jean Harlow. Naturally, one of the first things to adjust was Jean's platinum hair color, which had always been one of her defining trademarks. Her hues were darkened to what the studio's publicity department called "brownette". I'm guessing they felt brunette was too drastic a description, so they came up with their own adjective to coin the change in Harlow's outward appearance. The movie Riffraff (1936), in which she played a tuna cannery worker, marked Harlow's first appearance as a "brownette" in the movies.

I think many fans and historians think that after the Production Code came into effect that many stars just weren't the same, and by not being the same, they quite simply weren't as good anymore. Taking someone like Mae West, for example, the censors clipped out almost all of her racy dialogue and she definitely wasn't the same in her late-1930s films as she was in those earlier in the decade. On the other hand, Harlow seemed to make a smooth transition from pre to post-Code films. The differentiating factor in someone like Mae West and Jean Harlow is that Harlow seemed quite willing to glide right on with the changes the movie business was making, while West seemed trapped in a stereotype that she herself feared was her only claim to stardom.

Harlow persevered with the changes MGM was doing to her persona, and came out victorious as being more popular than ever. Still young, her star only continued to rise, while the popularity of other MGM actresses, such as Greta Garbo, Norma Shearer, and Joan Crawford, steadily waned. Jean was groomed to headline the screwball comedy Libeled Lady (1936), and even received top billing over William Powell, Myrna Loy, and Spencer Tracy. It was a massive hit, and did nothing but fuel Harlow's stardust. In short, what I'm trying to convey is that Harlow's persona, while ever-changing, was never bad nor distasteful to the movie-going public.

A prime example of the changes in Harlow's on-screen image comes in comparing a couple of her film roles. In the movie Red-Headed Woman in 1932, she plays a sultry secretary whose sole objective is to win her married boss, while in the film Wife vs. Secretary, from 1936, she also plays a secretary that is wrongly accused of doing the exact same thing.

Last edited:

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jean Harlow was the discovery of billionaire filmmaker Howard Hughes. He spotted her while she was still doing extra work at a time when the film industry was making its transition from silent to sound at the end of the 1920s. Hughes snatched Harlow up and gave her a top role in Hell's Angels, his aviation picture he was filming as one of the talking cinema's first big-budget epics. It was a commercial hit in 1930, even though the critics gave less-than-favorable reviews to Jean's performance. One newspaper went as far as calling her "just plain awful". She worked with Hughes for the next year or so, appearing in such films as The Secret Six and Platinum Blonde (both 1931), the latter which underwent a title change specifically to highlight Harlow's unique hair color, which Hughes' publicists called platinum. She was also James Cagney's side girl in the classic gangster movie The Public Enemy that same year.

Jean signed a deal with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in 1932. Her first assignment was dying her hair red for the title role in Red-Headed Woman, which brought her introduction as a mainstream star. She was a great gem of Pre-Code Hollywood, providing her own brand of sexiness through a small-framed body topped by a toss of white-colored hair, brought together with a voice she seems to have stolen from a waitress in Arkansas. Dinner at Eight, the 1933 comedy-drama featuring Harlow with an ensemble cast, might very well have been the pinnacle of her career before the Hays Code took over entirely. She is all the lovelier as Wallace Beery's social-climbing and adulterous wife, and spits wisecracks and venom right back to the bulky Beery with a surprising ease. It's a delicious film throughout, an outcome Harlow certainly had her hand in presenting.

The Production Code (also known as the Hays Code, the Hays Office, or simply the censorship bureau) was officially enforced in early July 1934. Without getting into all the details, the basic objective of the Code was to clean-up Hollywood films and the movie stars in them. I recollect hearing one tidbit where an executive of the Code said the "cheap and tawdry" were out. Good people, as they saw it, had no desire to watch movies cluttered with such vulgarity.

This sent several studios into quite a panic over what to do with their stars known for risque behavior, and MGM was certainly aware of their issue with Jean Harlow. What could they do with her? She was a steadily rising powerhouse at the box office, as her pictures were making the studio millions, but she would have to be rebranded in order to survive and make the cut in this now active post-Code environment. Her 1934 comedy The Girl from Missouri had been originally called Never Been Kissed, but the censors objected to the title without even reading the script. Surprisingly, the film manages to keep a little of pre-Code spice, coupled with reformed watered down cheesiness. The result is a genuinely amusing experience, but on an uneven slope.

Jean was still her platinum-haired self for her two 1935 releases, namely Reckless and China Seas. The former cast her as a stage star caught in the middle of a real life melodrama when her husband commits suicide. While the film itself is quite reasonable enough, the dubbing of Harlow's singing voice is noticeable and tosses the story off-balance. The latter paired her with Clark Gable for the fourth time as his sassy good-time girl, who manages to snatch a ticket to be a passenger on the ship he captains. These films offer what remained of Jean's pre-Code sexiness and colorful on-screen personality.

It was 1936 that MGM really kicked it into high gear to rebrand Jean Harlow. Naturally, one of the first things to adjust was Jean's platinum hair color, which had always been one of her defining trademarks. Her hues were darkened to what the studio's publicity department called "brownette". I'm guessing they felt brunette was too drastic a description, so they came up with their own adjective to coin the change in Harlow's outward appearance. The movie Riffraff (1936), in which she played a tuna cannery worker, marked Harlow's first appearance as a "brownette" in the movies.

I think many fans and historians think that after the Production Code came into effect that many stars just weren't the same, and by not being the same, they quite simply weren't as good anymore. Taking someone like Mae West, for example, the censors clipped out almost all of her racy dialogue and she definitely wasn't the same in her late-1930s films as she was in those earlier in the decade. On the other hand, Harlow seemed to make a smooth transition from pre to post-Code films. The differentiating factor in someone like Mae West and Jean Harlow is that Harlow seemed quite willing to glide right on with the changes the movie business was making, while West seemed trapped in a stereotype that she herself feared was her only claim to stardom.

Harlow persevered with the changes MGM was doing to her persona, and came out victorious as being more popular than ever. Still young, her star only continued to rise, while the popularity of other MGM actresses, such as Greta Garbo, Norma Shearer, and Joan Crawford, steadily waned. Jean was groomed to headline the screwball comedy Libeled Lady (1936), and even received top billing over William Powell, Myrna Loy, and Spencer Tracy. It was a massive hit, and did nothing but fuel Harlow's stardust. In shot, what I'm trying to convey is that Harlow's persona, while ever-changing, was never bad nor distasteful to the movie-going public.

A prime example of the changes in Harlow's on-screen image comes in comparing a couple of her film roles. In the movie Red-Headed Woman in 1932, she plays a sultry secretary whose sole objective is to win her married boss, while in the film Wife vs. Secretary, from 1936, she also plays a secretary that is wrongly accused of doing the exact same thing.

An amazing post @ClassyCo! The more I read about her, the more I wanna see her in other movies.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
An amazing post @ClassyCo! The more I read about her, the more I wanna see her in other movies.
She's a definitive jewel of 1930s Hollywood. She appeared in a host of good movies during her short career.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
She's a definitive jewel of 1930s Hollywood. She appeared in a host of good movies during her short career.

I could see her as the secretary played by Crawford in "Grand Hotel"...

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I could see her as the secretary played by Crawford in "Grand Hotel"...
I could easily see that too, but visually, I think her hair color wouldn't have got with the rest of what cast. But her being visually out-of-sync might have been what the movie needed.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jean Harlow certainly was a great beauty, and I often wish she had stayed with us long enough to grace our screens in glorious Technicolor. These colorized photos of her are all we will ever have, unfortunately. The commercial necessity of filming movies in color didn't come until years after Jean's passing.

At the same time, when speaking of Harlow's looks, I'm often baffled that MGM didn't initially see her as a beauty. They feared her chin and nose were too prominent, and apparently her cinematographers were encouraged to employee techniques to "play down" her nose and chin, and instead "play up" her eyes and cheek bones. I guess it shouldn't take me by a surprise so much, considering MGM and other studios frequently "tweaked" the appearances of their stars, whether on-screen or off, or both in most cases. They wanted perfection, and sometimes even those that embodied perfection to the audience, might not quite make the cut with the bosses of the studios.

ginnyfan

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love Jean and her movies and we already had an interesting conversation about her in the Maisie thread but I have to say I've never considered her to be a great beauty. Maybe it's a matter of taste, I don't know, she was kinda Miss Piggy-ish to me. That said, she was a sex bomb and a pre-code temptress and had great charisma and comedic talent that made her movies a delight.

I find many of early 30s actresses to be not too pretty. Myrna Loy is another example.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love Jean and her movies and we already had an interesting conversation about her in the Maisie thread but I have to say I've never considered her to be a great beauty. Maybe it's a matter of taste, I don't know, she was kinda Miss Piggy-ish to me. That said, she was a sex bomb and a pre-code temptress and had great charisma and comedic talent that made her movies a delight.

I find many of early 30s actresses to be not too pretty. Myrna Loy is another example.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can certainly understand that not everyone would find Harlow beautiful, and I can occasionally be in that camp myself. She had a different look to her, but can say that I've always found her attractive. And as for Myrna Loy, the same pretty much goes for her, too.

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can certainly understand that not everyone would find Harlow beautiful, and I can occasionally be in that camp myself. She had a different look to her, but can say that I've always found her attractive. And as for Myrna Loy, the same pretty much goes for her, too.
Any Jean Harlow fans here? I know there's got to be....

I've been into Harlow for years, and I fell in love with her movies after seeing her in Dinner at Eight. I've seen several of her films, and I come to the conclusion that she's one of the more under-appreciated Golden Age comediennes. She was definitely a jewel, gone far too soon.
Yes, I fell in love Jean Harlow recently watching her in Red Dust. Then had to build a collection, I call Harlow Gold. Along with the above I love Jean in all her films, Dinner At Eight, Bombshell and The Girl From Missouri, immediately come to mind. Hanging on her every word, and punches, from Hold Your Man.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Harlow is practically synonymous with the term 'Bombshell'. It was practically coined specifically to describe her. The movie BOMBSHELL (1933) was released as BLONDE BOMBSHELL in some parts of the country to avoid any confusion that it was a war picture.

DINNER AT EIGHT and RED DUST are two definitive Pre-Code Harlow gems. I also really like CHINA SEAS and WIFE VS. SECRETARY, the latter practically reversing her character from RED-HEADED WOMAN from four years earlier.

Jean Harlow was a class act. I love her movies.

1624988076082.png

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
Harlow is practically synonymous with the term 'Bombshell'. It was practically coined specifically to describe her. The movie BOMBSHELL (1933) was released as BLONDE BOMBSHELL in some parts of the country to avoid any confusion that it was a war picture.

DINNER AT EIGHT and RED DUST are two definitive Pre-Code Harlow gems. I also really like CHINA SEAS and WIFE VS. SECRETARY, the latter practically reversing her character from RED-HEADED WOMAN from four years earlier.

Jean Harlow was a class act. I love her movies.

View attachment 28326
I'd been eager to watch Red Dust for years, yet didn't get around to it until a few weeks ago. Terrific entrance, kicking Donald Crisp out of bed like that, she sparks with Gable so well, and the bath in a barrel. Why would anyone take issue with that, you don't see anything. Anyhow, it's all about watching Jean, each gesture and nuance, and homing in on her every line. I've got a condition similar to Jean, it's just, modern medicine and careful diet, manage it perfectly, and I'm in no danger.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess I can understand it given the times. I’m sure war was first and foremost on everyone’s mind so I can see why the word BOMBSHELL may have caused some uneasiness. But still, like you said, it’s pretty clear what that movie would be about just seeing the advertisements.

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
I was literally blown away
I guess I can understand it given the times. I’m sure war was first and foremost on everyone’s mind so I can see why the word BOMBSHELL may have caused some uneasiness. But still, like you said, it’s pretty clear what that movie would be about just seeing the advertisements.
I was literally blown away by Bombshell. One terrific movie, and Jean's performance definitely has the wow factor.