Jean Harlow: The Original Platinum Blonde

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i love Jean Harlow it's always a damn shame she died so young.

here's the ones i love and this is in no particular Order

1. Dinner at Eight (1933)
2. The Girl From Missouri (1934) one of my favorites
3. Wife vs. Secretary (1936)
4. Libeled Lady (1936)
5. Saratoga (1937)

i have seen other films of hers but those i haven't seen in so long that i don't remember them that much but that does not mean i think they are all shit cause they aren't these are just my top 5 that i can remember

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
I love all her films, including those five. There's a special place in my heart for The Girl from Missouri. Her performance in China Seas is also a winner, the ending in particular stirs the emotions. Again damn shame she died so you. But Jean is still remembered and so deeply loved❤️

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i don't love them all i do think some of them are awful but than there aren't many people in hollywood where all their films are good i can't think of any. but i love The Girl From Missouri (1934) Lionel Barrymore is my favorite Barrymore out of them all and i grew up watching Drew's films. and i love Lewis Stone even though he was an A list actor in his day he's never talked about when they talk about old films. and it's even sadder on how he died too

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
i don't love them all i do think some of them are awful but than there aren't many people in hollywood where all their films are good i can't think of any. but i love The Girl From Missouri (1934) Lionel Barrymore is my favorite Barrymore out of them all and i grew up watching Drew's films. and i love Lewis Stone even though he was an A list actor in his day he's never talked about when they talk about old films. and it's even sadder on how he died too
Shocking the way Lewis Stone died. I've been in a similar situation, but I turned it around.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
your also a lot younger than he was too i'm sure he was an old man with i think bad health at the time so you of course were able to handle it better than he did

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
ah the smart way you don't always get that lucky though Lewis Stone didn't either he didn't beat them either but they if i recall beat him i would not be surprised if they ever did learn that they killed him if they ever regretted that once it dawned on them? at least when they were older anyways

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They certainly do. Yet I read Beery wasn't universally loved.
Yeah, Beery wasn't an actor that many found very likable.

Harlow, on the other hand, was loved by practically everyone who worked with her. I've seen many interviews where different members of the production staff of her films brag about her kindness and work ethic. To simplify what they said, they were all appreciative of her kindness towards them and her drive to make their jobs easier. When Harlow passed, there was a genuine mourning at MGM. The behind-the-scenes guys and gals bemoaned there'd never be another like Jean Harlow.

1654932506324.png

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Harlow's popularity rivaled many of the biggest stars at MGM in the 1930s, such as Great Garbo, Norma Shearer, and Joan Crawford. Garbo was far too aloof and standoffish to care, and Shearer, well, she was married to Production Chief Irving Thalberg, and therefore got first choice of MGM's best scripts. So I'm sure she felt no threat either.

Crawford, however, was genuinely unsettled by Harlow's success. She was told a reporter: "I can play a hooker better than Jean Harlow any day of the year." Crawford was quite vocal about her distain for many actresses in her lifetime, especially those younger that she found as "threats" to her spotlight. She verbally complained to either Louella Parsons or Elsa Maxwell -- I forget which -- about Marilyn Monroe being "undignified" and "unbecoming of a lady" after Monroe upstaged her at a 1953 Hollywood party.

1654932956666.png

cheguevara101

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Bombshell
Yeah, Beery wasn't an actor that many found very likable.

Harlow, on the other hand, was loved by practically everyone who worked with her. I've seen many interviews where different members of the production staff of her films brag about her kindness and work ethic. To simplify what they said, they were all appreciative of her kindness towards them and her drive to make their jobs easier. When Harlow passed, there was a genuine mourning at MGM. The behind-the-scenes guys and gals bemoaned there'd never be another like Jean Harlow.

View attachment 38298
Hi Dalton,

Jean was loved by everyone with the exception of Joan Crawford, who I believe went to her funeral.

I've been studying the photo you sent. I know two of the figures, Jean and David O. Selznick, but who are the other 2? One I should know, but the one on the far left puzzles me.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
David O. Selznick
The gentleman on the far right (dark hair and glasses) isn't David O. Selznick. That is director George Cukor, who directed Harlow in DINNER AT EIGHT. Cukor and Selznick were close friends and they were often told how much they looked alike -- although both their mothers felt the two men didn't favor at all.

The man in the tuxedo between Harlow and Cukor is actor Edmund Lowe, the one who played Dr. Wayne Talbot in DINNER AT EIGHT. He's the one Harlow's Kitty having a fling with on the side.

I'm unsure about the other guy in the photo. Might have to do some digging on that one.

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One of the prettiest pictures I've seen of Jean Harlow!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1684112699452.jpg
    FB_IMG_1684112699452.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 9