Joan Collins & Cast Resentment

Logan Rhinewood

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Why does Joan continue to talk about things like this? I see this article isn’t brand new so not sure why it’s showing up. BUT, Joan called out Charlotte Rae and said “you nevah, evah dis other actors.” Yet she continues to do just that? Yes we know she saved the show, and yes we know she was the star. But must she continue to shove it in our faces? Geez.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Does Joan Collins have a publicist? I think a half-decent publicist would discourage this kind of talk as it only makes Collins look bitter. John Forsythe is no longer with us so there is no point in pursing that fight. As for Thomson and Nader, I recall them both making comments along the lines of "that's just Joan being Joan" and laughing it off. The only other cast member from whom I ever detected any resentment was Pamela Bellwood who was less than pleased with the change in tone of the show (and probably being overshadowed).

Other than Jack Coleman and Ray Abruzzo who pop-up from time to time in guest roles, the rest of the cast doesn't seem to be very active. The last I read about Linda Evans was her work on behalf of a cancer charity. Catherine Oxenberg rescued her daughter from the NXIVM cult. Emma Samms is helping find lost pets, restoring an old house and basically being Snow White come to life. At 86 Collins should be thinking about her legacy. I've heard that she was nurturing of her younger co-stars: introducing them to the crew and "showing them the ropes", isn't that a better legacy to leave behind? Wouldn't she want to be remembered as an actress and fashion icon - a talented actress? If she keeps it up with the negative comments people are more likely to think she wasn't that talented as an actress, that her role on Dynasty was just "Joan being Joan".

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Did Joan or Alexis save the show... ?
Did the writers or the characters save the show... ?
Who or what saves a show... ?
Look what happened to the ratings a few years later... And Joan Collins was still the star of the show...

Big time movie star Charlton Heston hardly saved anything when he joined The Colbys...

Actor/tresses should try to be a bit more down to earth sometimes...

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But must she continue to shove it in our faces?
I agree. Be thankful the role of Alexis Carrington came along because otherwise we'd be asking, "Joan who?" I don't ever recall Larry Hagman dissing his co-stars from Dallas so openly. He understood what that role meant...fame and fortune...and he relished it until his passing.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why does Joan continue to talk about things like this? I see this article isn’t brand new so not sure why it’s showing up.

That became patently obvious when I saw her age on the screen-- 86. I thought, shouldn't Miss Collins be 87 by now going on 88 (will be next May 23)? Then, when I saw the dateline on the article, it hit me-- this was an old story.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
While I totally agree with @xab , it's just Joan being Joan. I am so used of her dissing her co-stars, that I would almost be disappointed if she suddenly stopped ranting about them. It would be so out of... character.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This is all just Joan's act. She playing Alexis until she goes off to that big wig room in the sky. She came up in the last days of the old studio system and never achieved the dizzying heights as a movie start that she would have liked. When Alexis and Dynasty came along she was on the skids. It was a literal God send. It let her be that diva, that bitch! She was great in the role and she's taking that role to the grave.

I think that her or her people just put out the same garbage stories every now and again. It's like when she does an interview and just trots out the same 4 or 5 stories. Marilyn and the wolves in Hollywood, Gene Kelly told her never to put a stuntwoman out of work, and of course her so fake it hurts rivalry with Linda Evans, and to a maybe lesser degree John Forsythe.

She's just playing a role and it does it job in a way, she gets those stories out there every now and then. It certainly reads better than her friends gushing about how sweet and funny and kind she is. And if you look you can find that said by her friends a lot. I have followed her life and career a lot and anyone who has knows the story. It's all mostly an act and a defence of hers. Under all the glamour armour she's a pussy cat. She just feels that she has to play that bitchy role forever or she will be forgotten. It's Marlene Dietrich, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford all the way.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
And then she goes and (tries to) overshadow Liza Minnelli in the latter´s 75th anniversary. Let the poor thing celebrate her anniversary in peace and don´t upstage her as if you were Barbra Streisand...

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
this was an old story
Right. And therefore it's not fair to criticize her for the same thing again.

Besides, it's an honour to be publicly insulted by Joan Collins as it puts your name in the papers/internet again.
Of course, she could call that express website and say "I've got some lovely stories to tell about my lovely co-workers" but then this is what happens:
"Not interested in lovely stuff, Ms. Collins. Goodbye!"

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don’t care if she’s playing a role or if that’s who she really is. I love her to death and I always will. If she was any different then she just wouldn’t be Joan to me.

Mike

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was common knowledge that Joan and JF didn’t get on, but I had no idea that she’s feuded with Gordon Thomson and Michael Nader.

Why the need to take up the past constantly though, it was 40 years ago
The rumor going around was Joan said she did not want Michael Nader in the reunion.
After the show ended he said some unflattering things about her.I doubt this but the damage was done.

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The rumor going around was Joan said she did not want Michael Nader in the reunion.
After the show ended he said some unflattering things about her.I doubt this but the damage was done.
- In one tv special (I think it was the "E True Hollywood story") he said something like "Joan is a diva we all know it...."
she plays and acts like a diva but she doesn´t like the label ...

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This is all just Joan's act. She playing Alexis until she goes off to that big wig room in the sky. She came up in the last days of the old studio system and never achieved the dizzying heights as a movie start that she would have liked. When Alexis and Dynasty came along she was on the skids. It was a literal God send. It let her be that diva, that bitch! She was great in the role and she's taking that role to the grave.

I think that her or her people just put out the same garbage stories every now and again. It's like when she does an interview and just trots out the same 4 or 5 stories. Marilyn and the wolves in Hollywood, Gene Kelly told her never to put a stuntwoman out of work, and of course her so fake it hurts rivalry with Linda Evans, and to a maybe lesser degree John Forsythe.

She's just playing a role and it does it job in a way, she gets those stories out there every now and then. It certainly reads better than her friends gushing about how sweet and funny and kind she is. And if you look you can find that said by her friends a lot. I have followed her life and career a lot and anyone who has knows the story. It's all mostly an act and a defence of hers. Under all the glamour armour she's a pussy cat. She just feels that she has to play that bitchy role forever or she will be forgotten. It's Marlene Dietrich, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford all the way.

It was what I meant. But you said it way much better.

Retired Account 1

Telly Talk Active Member
Retired Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love Alexis, I used to love Joan too but no more. she 's bitter , on her instagram she (or probably her staff) makes bad comments about John Forsythe or former casts. I prefer to watch only Dynasty. I saw her twice on stage ,but I don't want anymore. everything is so scripted

Last edited:

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I love Alexis, I used to love Joan too but no more. she 's bitter , on her instagram she (or probably her staff) makes bad comments about John Forsythe or former casts.

Why would Miss Collins badmouth her co-stars on O-R ABC Dynasty?

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
Did Joan or Alexis save the show... ?
Did the writers or the characters save the show... ?
Who or what saves a show... ?
Look what happened to the ratings a few years later... And Joan Collins was still the star of the show...

Big time movie star Charlton Heston hardly saved anything when he joined The Colbys...

Actor/tresses should try to be a bit more down to earth sometimes...
And she was brought in to Pacific Palisades by Aaron Spelling halfway through based on her Alexis role.

Aaron probably thinking well she was successful on Dynasty, she will help this show.

The ratings of PP didn't even get a boost at all with Joan.

Last edited:

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When Dallas struck France in January 1981, all actors were unknown to the french audience.
Nobody had ever heard of Larry Hagman or BBG, let alone Linda or Charlene or Steve... Nobody had ever dreamt of "Jeannie" (french people were bewitched by Samantha) and Tennessee's Maggie version of Barbara on stage hardly crossed the Atlantic ocean... (Such a shame...)
Did a few fellows remember Victoria in "Earthquake" ...? Or Barbara in "Vertigo" ...? Or Jim starring in some B-movie western ? I certainly don't mean to be rude, but I strongly don't think so...
The only familiar face was the who-you-know "Man from Atlantis", which aired in France a few months before "Dallas".
However, "Dallas" was a hit at first sight. Thanxs to the actresses and actors, of course, but first, thanxs to the writing, the storylines...
A successful series is a good writing first. Period.

Last edited: