Knots Landing Streaming?

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Where in the world is KNOTS LANDING?
No DVDs/blurays, no streaming. Makes no sense. Some of the worst shows of all time are on Prime and Hulu, (family matters, Baywatch)...
And Of course, its mother show, DALLAS is all over streaming yet nothing from the California Ewings?
Is there a legal reason perhaps Knots is missing MIA?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It can really only have to do with the music rights. Knots Landing featured lots of popular hit songs. Especially, but not only, when Lisa Hartman was on show. When she was on the show some episodes had multiple songs. There was also music used with Kenny and Silvie, and then in the later seasons there was some episodes that featured famous songs. I seem to recall the Michelle Phillips episodes that did. But more than any of the other soaps Knots Landing had tons of music that all needs to be cleared and paid for. And it's not like shows like Melrose Place that featured the songs as "background" incidental music that could be easily replaced with cheaper music. On Knots it was often integral to the plot, and the actor would actually be singing.

It's such a shame that all these years later this is a factor in releasing the show.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It can really only have to do with the music rights.
That didn't stop PAPER DOLLS from being released on DVD.

We can fly to the moon but some music rights suddenly makes it all completely undoable? No. I'm not buying that excuse anymore.
They're cheap and they don't want to invest.
I think it's time America makes this a national issue (hello twitter).
It IS possible to get what we want because the impossible does no longer exist.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
That didn't stop PAPER DOLLS from being released on DVD.
That's 1 season though not like the 12 or whatever that aren't released for Knots Landing. It's entirely different! The amount of songs and expense are not the same. You not buying it doesn't make it untrue. There is a lot of music written by big songwriters, lots of hits songs that need to be paid for. WB must not think it's worthwhile.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And the songs on PAPER DOLLS are all soundalikes, which might make a difference.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If its an issue with music rights, did that start from season 3?

I know we don't want the show edited but can't they just remove them?

They edit Eastenders and other shows repeated on Drama. Also if it's streamed what is the difference than a channel like CBS Drama broadcasting the show?

I would love to watch it all again. It's really annoying.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The amount of songs and expense are not the same.
Then make the finished product more expensive. Look at all those huge boxsets that the Australians are churning (approx 100 euro each), nobody wants to buy a Knots Landing DVD simply because it's cheap.
And how about The Colbys DVD?
And the songs on PAPER DOLLS are all soundalikes, which might make a difference.
Were any of the songs in Knots Landing performed by the original artists? And does a soundalike make a difference regarding copyright/songwriter expenses?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Then make the finished product more expensive. Look at all those huge boxsets that the Australians are churning (approx 100 euro each), nobody wants to buy a Knots Landing DVD simply because it's cheap.
And how about The Colbys DVD?
The first 2 seasons didn't sell that well I imagine. WB probably expected similar sales to Dallas and I would say early Knots just did not sell anywhere near that well. They stopped with Falcon Crest after what 3 seasons, probably because even that wasn't selling like expected.
They mustn't see it was financially viable. I would imagine the best bet is to put it online on a WB platform but nothing seems to be happening.

In some Knots Landing episodes Ciji did a like 3 or 4 songs. I think songs written by the Beejees, Mowtown songs etc. It would probably be easier if the songs were all on the same label/publishing house. There could maybe be a deal worked out, but I guess it's mess as to who owns what. Some songs could have multiple writers and they all need paid. It's likely not even worth the expense of looking into it to them,
Were any of the songs in Knots Landing performed by the original artists? And does a soundalike make a difference regarding copyright/songwriter expenses?
Some were the original recording, I am thinking that was the case in the later seasons. Flashback scenes with Mack and Anne etc. But the majority were performed by Lisa Hartman. When they were originally licenced it was probably worked out at a flat cost for the TV airings. DVD and Streaming didn't factor into that initial deal obviously.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And does a soundalike make a difference regarding copyright/songwriter expenses?
I'm not sure, but I suspect it might - probably for the same reasons they could get away with using them, but not the original recordings, in the first place.

The only time KNOTS used a soundalike version of a song (that I'm aware of) is 'We've Only Just Begun' by Not the Carpenters during Paige and Tom Ryan's story.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's all very complicated, and there are lots of variable factors, like how many minutes of a song is used and how prominently it features. Added to which, different rules seem to apply to different recordings. For instance, last year EASTENDERS reenacted one of its most famous scenes to mark its 35th anniversary. The director wanted to use the same song that was playing quietly in the background of the original, a minor '80s hit by Alison Moyet, but when they tried to get the rights they were told it was too expensive - even though the show uses much better known songs all the time.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm not sure, but I suspect it might - probably for the same reasons they could get away with using them, but not the original recordings, in the first place.
Maybe that explains why some record labels produced their own coverversions for compilation CDs rather than licence the originals.

Does anyone remember if they used Cyndi Lauper's original version of "Girls..." in Dynasty? Or was that also a soundalike? Or did it not happen at all?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Maybe that explains why some record labels produced their own coverversions for compilation CDs rather than licence the originals.

Does anyone remember if they used Cyndi Lauper's original version of "Girls..." in Dynasty? Or was that also a soundalike? Or did it not happen at all?
I don't remember Dynasty playing any actual songs, no vocal versions at least. They always did knock off instrumentals.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Elton John used to do them before he was famous.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It will ruin the atmosphere and the flow of some scenes but if that's really the ONLY way to make good quality copies of Knots available to the public then I wouldn't object to some editing. After all, it's a soap not a musical.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Whatever the reason, it’s really a shame we can’t get more of this show released already.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
If its an issue with music rights, did that start from season 3?

They edit Eastenders and other shows repeated on Drama. Also if it's streamed what is the difference than a channel like CBS Drama broadcasting the show?

I would love to watch it all again. It's really annoying.
I can't remember where it started, but I know the Ciji stuff is a lot to do with it, and you cant really edit it out or the plot just wouldn't make sense. The story is literally about Ciji being a singer. Most shows only have to pay for like one or two songs, and even that can be expensive. Knots just has so many.