Life in the lockdown

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess the vast majority of us are in lockdown, staying home and social distancing. So how's it going?

Are you climbing the walls or glad of the downtime?

How are you getting on with those you're cohabiting with, or if you're alone, how is that going?

What do you miss? What don't you miss? Is there anything you think you'd like to do differently when the lockdown ends now that you've had plenty of time to reflect?

How are you spending your days? Are you bored? Or are you getting lots done around the house that you wouldn't normally have time to do?

Are you scared and anxious, or would you say you are taking this whole thing in your stride?

What's the hardest thing about being in quarantine for you? And what's the best thing?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Rules and mandates have been county-specific around here, since the numbers of cases vary wildly by county. Obviously we are all being urged to social distance and to stay home as much as possible, but when one county on our border has only five cases and another bordering county has over 1700, it makes sense that some counties have different levels of concern. Palm Beach County has severe stay-at-home regulations in place, and anyone out and about must be wearing a mask/cloth face covering of some sort. It's more optional for us in Martin County--they even left most of the golf courses and boat ramps open (but not without controversy). It took them several weeks to agree to close the beaches. They are half-heartedly trying to limit the number of people admitted in grocery stores and places like WalMart, but the managers of those places seem not to have the balls to enforce the rules. We've only had 133 cases reported.

We were classified "essential" workers so I've been having the same level of social interaction via work. I'm not climbing the walls or even really bothered by the closure of bars (since I don't drink), but I am having that "absence makes the heart grow fonder" syndrome where I think about how fun it would be to go to the mall or whatever place I know is now closed. I never wanted to go to the mall when it was open, but now that someone is denying me entry, I want to go.

I'm not scared or anxious...more annoyed than anything else. It irritates me that so many local businesses have had to close up. I worry that a lot of those businesses won't ever re-open, changing the complexion of our area. But I know the economy will recover quickly and that things will get back to the way they were....so it's just a waiting game now. The hardest thing (and it's an embarrassing first-world problem at best) is having to use drive-thrus at restaurants and the bank because I never enjoy food eaten in a rush or in some alternate location (in the car!).

Zable

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess the vast majority of us are in lockdown, staying home and social distancing. So how's it going?
@Richard Channing I'm taking the opportunity to borrow this thread to share an appeal made by Kevin Richardson the Lion Whisperer .....for help for South African families on wildlife reserves who've either lost their jobs or a good potion of their income as a result of the COVID-19 lockdown. Hope you don't mind.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I had my first drink after 7 years of alcohol abstinence so I guess I'm not doing great in lockdown.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wish our useless leaders here in Australia would take a tough stance and take us to the next level which would mean major department stores (think Walmart) would need to close their stores. Twice today at my place of work I had to instruct customers to take a few steps back...and didn't they take offence. I simply get up in their face and say, "do not expect me to apologize for your behaviour."

And the number of elderly people still visiting our store leaves me breathless when they have been instructed to stay home. If I had to remain home I would find plenty of jobs to do around the house...all those little things I keep putting off.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Instead of telling us to stay home (or at least most part of the day) because there isn't much to do at work, they encourage us to use as many day offs and holidays as possible.
This is absolutely outrageous because they promised me that they would continue to pay salary but this way I'm "paying" with day offs.
I should be allowed to stay home, get paid and keep my holidays, like everyone else. You can never have too much free time, staying home or not.
I'm so furious right now, plotting revenge as we speak.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As I am currently only a temp at the school I work at - and because the pupils are at home with online lectures - there is no work over for me during these days.

I am home without any kind of income. I knew it would be a huge mistake to get my own apartment before getting hired for the long haul. Relieved that I remained with my parents since I moved back to my hometown. I don't need to spend much on rent and food.

I am in lockdown even though the government only requires that of people in risk groups. My parents are in risk groups, so I don't want to jeopardize them. My father on the other hand don't care. He goes to the store every single day. He gets annoyed when I try to tell him how easily he can get the virus.

I am getting slightly bored at home. I have my dog to brighten my mood, but dogs sleep 14-17 hours a day. Can't rely on him all the time. I have yet to begin any project. All I do really is sleep, watch TV/stream, fill in crossword puzzles, play games on my phone, check social media, listen to an audiobook, cook food, play with and walk the dog and stare up at the ceiling.

But a miracle happened last week. I have 2 papers left to write before I get my teachers licence. I finished one of them last week! Only took me 6 years to complete..... Today, I began the second one. I started this one 10 years ago.

Boredom can be positive.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Instead of telling us to stay home (or at least most part of the day) because there isn't much to do at work, they encourage us to use as many day offs and holidays as possible.
This is absolutely outrageous because they promised me that they would continue to pay salary but this way I'm "paying" with day offs.
I should be allowed to stay home, get paid and keep my holidays, like everyone else. You can never have too much free time, staying home or not.
I'm so furious right now, plotting revenge as we speak.

Bastards! I don't blame you for being furious. That's really not fair.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
All I do really is sleep, watch TV/stream, fill in crossword puzzles, play games on my phone, check social media, listen to an audiobook, cook food, play with and walk the dog and stare up at the ceiling
And that's a bad thing?
Waking up and not knowing what time or day it is - that's my definition of happiness. To live a cats & dogs life!

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm blessed to still have a job. I'm a teacher which is now all online. I'd mucm rather be in the classroom.
The hardest challenge for me is to avoid the news. It's addictive in a way, yet it is mainly doom and gloom. Anytime there's a glimmer of hope the main stream media shoots it down. I ger the impression sometimes the msm wants this to go on forever.
So, I'm fortunate in many ways, but still praying for this to end. The devastation on terms of health and the economy(which affects physical and mental

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The hardest challenge for me is to avoid the news. It's addictive in a way, yet it is mainly doom and gloom. Anytime there's a glimmer of hope the main stream media shoots it down. I ger the impression sometimes the msm wants this to go on forever.

A few weeks into this I made a conscious decision to stop watching the news. It was just depressing me and I feel much better now that I have stopped watching it. I still keep up with what's going on via a news app but I have no interest in watching footage of mass burials and people on ventilators. Also, there is a lot of fear mongering going on in the msm and all of this is scary enough without them sensationalizing it.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And that's a bad thing?
Waking up and not knowing what time or day it is - that's my definition of happiness. To live a cats & dogs life!

It's not good for me. Not really bad either though. But having so few social connections these days and not feeling like I have a purpose is taking away all my energy.

But one of my colleague has offered to take me out for a coffee and cake soon. I will get to see another person again!

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's not good for me. Not really bad either though. But having so few social connections these days and not feeling like I have a purpose is taking away all my energy.

But one of my colleague has offered to take me out for a coffee and cake soon. I will get to see another person again!

For me, it's important to keep a schedule and exercise. If not, it will have a deleterious effect on my mental health.
I found a trainer who uses Zoom. He's excellent. It's a small businesses started by an ex-convict who only hires ex-cons. The whole point is to keep them working so they don't fall back into criminal ways. I'm very happy with it, and they are very professional.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One of my friends works as a maintenance supervisor for a local high school. They've been doing little odd jobs/improvements on campus for over a month to keep busy, but he told me yesterday that they've officially run out of stuff to do. The principal sent the whole maintenance and cleaning staff home...with pay. Apparently the money for their salaries was already allocated and since it looks as if school will not resume before the traditional end of the academic year (end of May/beginning of June), they're just going to sit on their butts and still get paid. God I miss civil service. :D

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I have been advised to stay home and have been given an isolation letter form my doctor. I think this is initially for 12 weeks. Then it may be reviewed. At the moment there is a backlog with sorting people's wages. I should be getting 80% of my earnings while I am in isolation but this is probably not going to kick in to around the end of June. So until then I am just on stat sick pay.

I think I am feeling a bit down about not being at work. Even though I complain about work it's still important. I had realised that even more when I was still working during lockdown. It was my only social interaction really and now that is gone. I guess now I am going to read a bit more, watch more shows and documentaries. It's going to be a long journey to the other side.

I have already started with a crafty project I have been wanting to do for about 10 years or so but just didn't have the time. I like my downtime and quiet time, but I am a social, creative person and I need some sort of outlet. I can deal with solitude as long as I can keep my mind working.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can deal with solitude as long as I can keep my mind working
I wouldn't want to be locked up 100%, that's a little too claustrophobic for my taste, but I can keep myself very occupied without the annoying routine of work.
I have already started with a crafty project
Oooh...what is it?

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Im at work (in a hopsital)

its great fun - not!

and wish I picked another career right now so i could stay at home. :(

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't want to be locked up 100%, that's a little too claustrophobic for my taste, but I can keep myself very occupied without the annoying routine of work.
I am living at home with my mum and stepdad and my brother, who works nights and sleeps most of the day. So I am not totally on my own but there is still that trapped feeling. I like isolation on my own terms not enforced on me.
Work for me was just getting to be so stressful. I was caring for people who may or may not have had the virus and tests just weren't being done. I didn't feel there was enough or proper PPE. I kept being told I would be protected but that couldn't be guaranteed. As it turned out the day after I came out of work for self isolation I was told of the first case of the virus at my work.

Oooh...what is it?
All in time...