Main character that changed most

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Which main character changed the most over the years of the run of the show?

JR went from a scary, pure evil villain to a cartoon villain who was only good for snarky one liners and for being deceived by one inferior opponent after another.

Miss Ellie went from the ultimate protector of her land and family legacy to giving half of it to Clayton, moving away, and then just handing the whole thing over to Bobby.

Cliff went from an earnest and honest man interested in justice to a man so obsessed with revenge against JR that he was willing to destroy everyone he loved just to get his way.

Sue Ellen went from a hopelessly drunk, emotionally unstable, supremely insecure doormat dependant on JR for every little thing to a sober, successful woman with her own business empire capable of going toe to toe with the man who had once controlled every aspect of her life.

Ray went from JR's shady partner in crime to a solid, decent man who was insecure enough about his wife being more successful than him that he divorced her to a man who acting like a simpering lovesick fool following Jenna all the way to Switzerland like an obedient puppy.

So, who changed the most? And which change helped and/or hurt the show the most?

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
April went from money grabbing schemer to being Miss Goody Two-Shoes. The original April was interesting, the second version of her was totally bland.

Via The Void

Telly Talk Star
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well obviously the main character who changed the most was Jock Ewing.

We all thought that after Jim Davis passed away that was it for the character. Not so! The Ben Stivers and later the Wes Parmalee character paid homage to the Ewing patriarch with the tantalising suggestion that they were Jock returned from the dead. The ambiguous nature of Steve Forrest's departure has kept people guessing for decades as to whether Ben or Wes really was Jock Ewing after all. It was one helluva storyline and allowed us to revisit the early years of the show and honour Jim Davis through Steve Forrest's epic performance. This was classic Dallas. :)

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well obviously the main character who changed the most was Jock Ewing.

We all thought that after Jim Davis passed away that was it for the character. Not so! The Ben Stivers and later the Wes Parmalee character paid homage to the Ewing patriarch with the tantalising suggestion that they were Jock returned from the dead. The ambiguous nature of Steve Forrest's departure has kept people guessing for decades as to whether Ben or Wes really was Jock Ewing after all. It was one helluva storyline and allowed us to revisit the early years of the show and honour Jim Davis through Steve Forrest's epic performance. This was classic Dallas. :)
I totally Nastradamousized that would be your reply

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It’s easily Sue Ellen. She was a hot mess in the early seasons. She went from the neglected alcoholic wife of JR to defeating him in a huge business deal when JR thought he was going to head Weststar.
I wish that would have been the end of the JR/Sue Ellen saga. She'd won. She could have walked away with her head held high. Instead we got that stupid shooting and that even dumber movie revenge plot.

If Sue Ellen had to leave, that West Star deal would have been the perfect exit for her.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd vote for Ray.
Ray started out as a stand in for the audience. During the original run, we could think, "I'm no J.R. or I'm no Sue Ellen." But we could easily imagine ourselves as the ranch foreman. It made Ray very relatable.

It's too bad that they changed his character so much. I enjoyed him when he was simply the Southfork Ranch foreman and somebody the audience could relate to.

1660071836154.png

Last edited:

the-lost-son

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well in the end, hardly any character was recognizable anymore. If you keep producing a series for so long, till only 3 original cast members are left, all the exits need to be explained, leaving the door open for possible returns.
The Miss Ellie we knew for so many years wouldn't travel Europe indefinetely etc., Pam wouldn't leave the way she did, good ole Ray who probably never left Dallas doesn't just move to Switzerland...and so on and on.

The character who changed the most frequently was Cliff though. He has to fill the gaps, being more/less smart/naive/tough/cold/soft whenever the storyline asks for it. It's amusing how often he seems to forget that he studied law every time he is arrested for murder for example. There is just no constant development, it's just forwards and backwards (especially in the last years) whenever needed.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
All the characters changed, some for better, others for worse. The most regrettable to me was Cliff, because Kercheval made him too comedic after Cliff found oil and became a millionaire.

Sue Ellen´s evolution was absolutely forced and unnatural. Alcoholics don´t just stay sober just because your sister-in-law dreamt you went under therapy in a sanitarium. We all know that it´s Linda Gray´s condition to return after being sacked in the 7th year. They said to her: "Ok, she´ll drink one more time and rock bottom, and then she´ll get sober". The post-dream "vengeance obsession" was pure nonsense.

My favorite evolution was Bobby, though I may be alone here. He changed and went through rough times, but he kept his hopes high thanks to his love for his family, especially Christopher. He even forgave Hillary Taylor for killing the skank... and Bobby was such a big daddy for Chris!!

I also loved Pam´s evolution, but her last season was lackluster, her scenes with Jenna were beyond pathetic, and only was fun to watch when she argued with Cliff. I was ok with Miss Ellie´s, but I really thought that BBG got bored with the storylines she was given, above all the Wes Parmalee one, which she didn´t know how to play exactly (maybe she was asked to do so?). Getting drunk and then becoming Jessica Fletcher were things I´d rather forget.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess he wasn’t really a main character, but young Christopher, perhaps even more shocked by his dead father’s reappearance than we viewers were, underwent quite a transformation from a lovable curly-haired little guy to a more sophisticated, more articulate young man who styled his hair and fought with John Ross about whatever the hell they’d fight about in those days…

tommie

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess it depends on what you mean with "change" - as in actual character development or because the writers got lazy.

Because with Swellin' there was character development - her going from an alcoholic housewife to independent and sober was something that was a logical character arc. With someone April, it's obvious that the writers just changed her personality to fit the new storyline as Bobby's love interest. And that's just changing a character because of lazy writing.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Cliff changed pretty drastically when his long lost, conveniently fabulously wealthy mother appeared out of nowhere and started giving him executive positions and entire oil companies to run. Within a couple of years he transformed from a scrappy, self-made rising lawyer and public official to an erratic semi-buffoon.

The OLM-era Cliff explained to Pam how expensive offshore drilling is as JR made his Asian gamble, but just a few years later he somehow didn’t figure drilling costs into his planning for financing Gold Coast 340 and seemed shocked to learn how much it would cost per day.

It must have been a combination of lack of oxygen to the brain during his suicide attempt and the gradual onset of neurofibromatosis, but the guy lost about 15 IQ points in a few short years.

(amazingly, Marilee Stone and Afton and Mandy Winger and who knows who else felt his sex appeal hadn’t diminished a bit)

It's amusing how often he seems to forget that he studied law every time he is arrested for murder for example
ah yes, good point! most of the time it seemed like he’d completely forgotten he was a lawyer.

LanceLane

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Malice
Going back to the transition of April's character, was it really necessary in order for her to hook up with Bobby? Maybe it would have been more interesting to see Bobby fall for a bad girl? Or more natural or a transition to see her trying to change for him? The way it was written, it seems they tried to play it that April was at first this conniving gold digger, only to suddenly realize she had no real friends, and she changed. At least that's how I see it, but it was a little unbelievable that way. Not totally, but it was an awful fast transition.

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Pam springs to mind, in the beginning she’s finding her way in the Ewing world, by the middle seasons she’s far more confident and certainly by season 9, she was toe to toe with JR.

Season 10 rolled back all these developments that Pam had gained over the past four or five seasons and completely reset her character to someone completely neurotic and needy.

Ray was another character who changed, and I wish they hadn’t changed him, it’s great they made him a Ewing son, but I would have had him still he friends with JR, acting as the intermediary between JR and Bobby, he’d side with which ever brother was going to come out on top, having him join the anti JR crew was a disappointing move.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Pam springs to mind, in the beginning she’s finding her way in the Ewing world, by the middle seasons she’s far more confident and certainly by season 9, she was toe to toe with JR.

Season 10 rolled back all these developments that Pam had gained over the past four or five seasons and completely reset her character to someone completely neurotic and needy.

Ray was another character who changed, and I wish they hadn’t changed him, it’s great they made him a Ewing son, but I would have had him still he friends with JR, acting as the intermediary between JR and Bobby, he’d side with which ever brother was going to come out on top, having him join the anti JR crew was a disappointing move.
Pam also changed pretty quickly from the streetwise girl from the wrong side of the tracks in the miniseries to Bobby's sometimes meek and indecisive wife in the first full season before progressing how you described above.