MLB Baseball Post Season 2023

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Anybody following the current MLB play off series'? Anyone still have a team in the running for the championship? My team did what they usually do, and forgot to show up for the post season and ended up humiliating themselves again. I would say I'm currently pulling for the Diamondbacks to upset everything and win it all, but I doubt that's going to happen. After the D-Backs, I'd be fine with the Phillies winning it all. I hope that Arizona can at least pull off one win in the series but a sweep is probably likely.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Anybody following the current MLB play off series'? Anyone still have a team in the running for the championship? My team did what they usually do, and forgot to show up for the post season and ended up humiliating themselves again. I would say I'm currently pulling for the Diamondbacks to upset everything and win it all, but I doubt that's going to happen. After the D-Backs, I'd be fine with the Phillies winning it all. I hope that Arizona can at least pull off one win in the series but a sweep is probably likely.
Well, you might be talking to the biggest baseball fan that ever lived here so I’ll definitely put in my two cents.

As a Yankee fan, obviously my season didn’t go so well but I like to keep watching no matter who’s involved.

Arizona is a great story. I know they broke your heart this year and I’m sorry. The Dodgers and Yankees are a lot alike. We spend tons and tons of money but we never show up in the postseason anymore. At least you guys got a championship three years ago during that Covid year. I know a lot of fans point to that title and say it was a short season but I don’t do asterisks. They won and that’s all that matters. At least you guys got that one. In the Bronx we’re waiting 14 years but everyone hates us so I get it.

Anyway, back to these playoffs since it’s obviously not about us right now. If I had to predict who’s going to the World Series I’d say Texas and Philadelphia. I just think they are the two hottest teams right now, although Houston can never be counted out. They’ve been here so many times and they have so much experience.

Philadelphia looks like the hungriest team right now and I think that’s because they went to the World Series last year and came up short. They look determined to go back. I love their explosive lineup and they’re fun to watch. They also have some rabid fans and that makes them tough to beat at home.

Arizona is kind of the dark horse in this thing. I don’t think anyone is giving them much of a chance and I honestly think that’s a mistake. They’re very young and exciting with a lot of momentum in their favor. I don’t expect them to beat Philadelphia but it wouldn’t shock me if they did. To do that they’re going to have to pitch the series of their lives against that great lineup.

These are just my thoughts on everything so far.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Well, you might be talking to the biggest baseball fan that ever lived here so I’ll definitely put in my two cents.

I had figured I wouldn't get any response so thank you!!

As a Yankee fan, obviously my season didn’t go so well but I like to keep watching no matter who’s involved.

I love the Yankees. They're just classic and timeless and just . . . baseball. I'm an odd sort of baseball fan, in that while I support the Dodgers, I enjoy a lot of other teams too and don't get too caught up in who I'm "supposed" to like and not like. I even /gasp/ like the Giants. I really like Aaron Judge. He seems like a really good guy and is such an amazing player.

Arizona is a great story. I know they broke your heart this year and I’m sorry.

Thank you. The D-Backs are scrappy and a fun team so I'm not too sad to go out to them. At least it wasn't the Padres again.

If I had to predict who’s going to the World Series I’d say Texas and Philadelphia. I just think they are the two hottest teams right now, although Houston can never be counted out. They’ve been here so many times and they have so much experience.

I'd be happy with that. Obviously I'm a Corey Seager fan, so I would be happy for him. I think Bryce Harper is an amazing athlete and fun to watch so I'd be happy for him too. When Seager left to join the Rangers, I figured he'd be relaxing every October for quite a few years. I'm impressed that it's only two years later and they are in the running. The Rangers have done an impressive and fast job of rebuilding.

Philadelphia looks like the hungriest team right now and I think that’s because they went to the World Series last year and came up short. They look determined to go back. I love their explosive lineup and they’re fun to watch. They also have some rabid fans and that makes them tough to beat at home.

The really do look hungry for it and with the addition of Trea Turner (who annoyingly slept through his post season with the Dodgers but is on fire now), they might just manage it this year. I think they could easily overcome Texas. The Astros would give them more of a challenge.

Phillies fans are crazy!
Arizona is kind of the dark horse in this thing. I don’t think anyone is giving them much of a chance and I honestly think that’s a mistake. They’re very young and exciting with a lot of momentum in their favor. I don’t expect them to beat Philadelphia but it wouldn’t shock me if they did. To do that they’re going to have to pitch the series of their lives against that great lineup.

I'd be really pleased if the D-Backs managed that. It would just be a great story. I like Evan Longoria from his Giant's days, so I'd be happy for him too.

Really, at this point I'll be happy with anyone except the Astros.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I had figured I wouldn't get any response so thank you!!
You’re very welcome! Not many people discussing baseball these days compared to other sports so I’m glad you posted this thread.

I love the Yankees. They're just classic and timeless and just . . . baseball.
Thank you! Never thought I’d ever hear a Dodger fan saying this. I’ve always felt our teams are very similar. The payrolls, the long storied histories, the championships, all the great players, the rivalry, etc. We’re kind of the same franchise but just on opposite coasts. Most of my family were actually Dodger fans growing up cause they were all born in Brooklyn, so after the Yankees I’ll usually root for them come October.

I enjoy a lot of other teams too and don't get too caught up in who I'm "supposed" to like and not like

I’m the same way. I was rooting for the Orioles because they had such a great season and haven’t been to a World Series in 40 years. People I know couldn’t understand that cause they play in the Yankees’ division but I don’t really get caught up in all of that. I even had a Red Sox fan in my house growing up and so I don’t even hate Boston. Now what Yankee fan says that? Of course I can’t really root for Boston but I don’t hate them. It’s a great rivalry and I respect them immensely.

I even /gasp/ like the Giants.

You sure you’re a Dodger fan? LOL

I really like Aaron Judge. He seems like a really good guy and is such an amazing player.

I’m a huge fan myself. He’s also a great leader, which we need. My only criticism would be the injuries. I know it’s not his fault but it just feels like it’s always something. We need him to stay healthy more.

Thank you. The D-Backs are scrappy and a fun team so I'm not too sad to go out to them. At least it wasn't the Padres again.

Arizona is scary! A lot better than people think. They’ve knocked off two division winners they weren’t even supposed to beat.

I guess the Padres are like our two teams and the Mets; four of the highest payrolls in the league and we’re all home watching now. Amazing how that works, isn’t it?

I'd be happy with that. Obviously I'm a Corey Seager fan, so I would be happy for him. I think Bryce Harper is an amazing athlete and fun to watch so I'd be happy for him too. When Seager left to join the Rangers, I figured he'd be relaxing every October for quite a few years. I'm impressed that it's only two years later and they are in the running. The Rangers have done an impressive and fast job of rebuilding.

The Rangers rebuilt much faster than most expected. They lost like 95 games last year! Saegar was a huge signing for them, and Bochy was huge too! He’s a great manager. He’s won three titles with the Giants and he commands a lot of respect. Leadership is so underrated, and Saegar and Bochy both gave them that.

Bryce is a great player as well! I know he can be a little abrasive at times but I love his fire. He’s the Phillies emotional leader and every team needs a guy like that. I’d be very happy to see him finally win a championship.

The really do look hungry for it and with the addition of Trea Turner (who annoyingly slept through his post season with the Dodgers but is on fire now), they might just manage it this year. I think they could easily overcome Texas. The Astros would give them more of a challenge.

Trea Turner is so clutch. I don’t know what happened to him in Los Angeles last postseason. He’s made that lineup in Philly even more dangerous. There’s really no weak link in it one thru nine.

Texas’s starting pitching can keep them in a series with Philadelphia but I question their bullpen compared to the Phillies. I’m not even sure why I’m picking them to beat Houston other than the fact that they have momentum. Houston is better all around than Texas also.

I'd be really pleased if the D-Backs managed that. It would just be a great story. I like Evan Longoria from his Giant's days, so I'd be happy for him too.

It definitely would be a great story. I love an underdog, and I also love an older veteran player like Longoria that’s been around forever and is giving it one last crack at that elusive ring. He’s a great story as well.

Phillies fans are crazy!

I do admire their passion. They sing during crucial at bats, they countdown the pitch clock, I mean they’re really nuts!! But that’s what it’s all about this time of year. They’ve made it a really tough place for visiting teams and that’s the definition of home field advantage. I don’t expect the Diamondbacks to get rattled though, I really don’t.

Really, at this point I'll be happy with anyone except the Astros.

You know, I respect them so much and what they do every year that I can’t even hate them to be honest. As a Dodger fan I do see your point though. They’ve even beaten the Yankees so many times that I’ve lost count but they have so many great players that I like so it’s kind of hard not to like them on some level. I do respect them, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they won it all again this year.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I’ve always felt our teams are very similar. The payrolls, the long storied histories, the championships, all the great players, the rivalry, etc. We’re kind of the same franchise but just on opposite coasts.

Yes -- I totally see that and both of them are very polarizing teams for people because of all the things you mentioned. Lots of baseball fans sort of revel in it when either team does poorly.

I was rooting for the Orioles because they had such a great season and haven’t been to a World Series in 40 years.

I was pulling for them too--even against Seager. I enjoyed watching Adley Rutschman's performance in the home run derby at the ASG.

I even had a Red Sox fan in my house growing up and so I don’t even hate Boston. Now what Yankee fan says that? Of course I can’t really root for Boston but I don’t hate them. It’s a great rivalry and I respect them immensely.

:giggle:

I've had a soft spot for Boston all season, because I miss Justin Turner so much and am still a little mad at the Dodgers for not keeping him.

I guess the Padres are like our two teams and the Mets; four of the highest payrolls in the league and we’re all home watching now. Amazing how that works, isn’t it?

The Padres and the Mets were supposed to have great seasons this year. Now here we are in the post season featuring Baltimore and Arizona and Texas. You have to love baseball. It makes things fun.

Trea Turner is so clutch. I don’t know what happened to him in Los Angeles last postseason.

I don't think he ever wanted to be in LA. I'm not saying he wasn't trying to win, but I think his unhappiness being there affected his performance.

Texas’s starting pitching can keep them in a series with Philadelphia but I question their bullpen compared to the Phillies. I’m not even sure why I’m picking them to beat Houston other than the fact that they have momentum.

I think Phillies line up will carry them past Texas. But you never know.

I do admire their passion. They sing during crucial at bats, they countdown the pitch clock, I mean they’re really nuts!! But that’s what it’s all about this time of year. They’ve made it a really tough place for visiting teams and that’s the definition of home field advantage. I don’t expect the Diamondbacks to get rattled though, I really don’t.

They are definitely a passionate group. I read that the D-Backs were piping in crowd noises from Citizens Bank Park during batting practice to prepare for the series.

You know, I respect them so much and what they do every year that I can’t even hate them to be honest. As a Dodger fan I do see your point though. They’ve even beaten the Yankees so many times that I’ve lost count but they have so many great players that I like so it’s kind of hard not to like them on some level. I do respect them, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they won it all again this year.

I don't even have a strong reason for disliking them. I wasn't really a baseball fan during the "cheating" year and there's only two guys left over from that time, one of whom didn't even participate in the sign stealing. I guess it's just my fellow Dodgers fans' dislike for them rubbing off on me. I do really like and respect Dusty Baker.

Have you read the book Cheated: The Inside Story of the Astros Scandal and a Colorful History of Sign Stealing? I read it this past summer and found it fascinating. I couldn't put it down.

Do you get to attend games very often?

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes -- I totally see that and both of them are very polarizing teams for people because of all the things you mentioned. Lots of baseball fans sort of revel in it when either team does poorly.

We are both hated!! No argument there! I do kind of enjoy the role of being the villain though. With the Yankees having such a poor season this year my phone was blowing up all summer. But I play along. It’s fun, and even though I would never admit this to all the detractors I was happy for them on some level.

I was pulling for them too--even against Seager. I enjoyed watching Adley Rutschman's performance in the home run derby at the ASG.

I gotta say Baltimore really disappointed me. Maybe they’re just too young and need another year. I do love that roster though! Rutschman, Mullins, Henderson, Mountcsstle, Hicks, etc. They are primed for a run if they can keep it together for awhile.

I've had a soft spot for Boston all season, because I miss Justin Turner so much and am still a little mad at the Dodgers for not keeping him.

Can’t say I blame you. I was surprised when they didn’t keep him. He seemed like such a huge part of that offense.

I was also surprised that Boston folded down the stretch. For awhile there I thought they were going to make the playoffs. They’ll be fine though. One thing I know about them is they always seem to rebuild at some point.

The Padres and the Mets were supposed to have great seasons this year. Now here we are in the post season featuring Baltimore and Arizona and Texas. You have to love baseball. It makes things fun.

That’s why when people complain about the Yankees and Dodgers and all the other big market teams overspending I point to these teams that spend a fraction of what we do and go deeper than us in the playoffs. It’s really not just about what you spend in baseball. You can buy the best player at every position and it guarantees nothing. You can’t buy chemistry. You have to buy the right parts that fit and that’s not easy.

I don't think he ever wanted to be in LA. I'm not saying he wasn't trying to win, but I think his unhappiness being there affected his performance.
I can understand that. An unhappy player more often than not will not perform well. That’s too bad cause I really thought he was going to be a good fit for the Dodgers. I gotta say he certainly looks happy now though!

I think Phillies line up will carry them past Texas. But you never know
That Phillie lineup is incredible, and it’s not just about home runs either. They hit a lot of them but they do so many other things well also. They seem to be very good defensively too, which I don’t think gets enough credit in October.

They are definitely a passionate group. I read that the D-Backs were piping in crowd noises from Citizens Bank Park during batting practice to prepare for the series.

That makes sense. I think it’s a smart thing to do cause that is one of the loudest places in sports. That place was deafening during last year’s World Series and to be honest I think they’re even louder this year.

I don't even have a strong reason for disliking them. I wasn't really a baseball fan during the "cheating" year and there's only two guys left over from that time, one of whom didn't even participate in the sign stealing. I guess it's just my fellow Dodgers fans' dislike for them rubbing off on me. I do really like and respect Dusty Baker.

I guess I’m kind of over the whole sign stealing thing. They did it, they got caught, they were punished, let’s move on. Obviously I don’t condone it but I’m not going to make excuses either. They’ve beaten the Yankees so many times that can I honestly sit here and say they’re not the better team? No, I can’t. We haven’t been able to beat them in the postseason long since the scandal. I don’t blame Yankee fans or Dodger fans that do feel cheated by them, I really don’t. I totally get it but I’m long over it.

As for Dusty Baker, I think he’s a great baseball man. I was so happy for him when he finally won last year. I’m fortunate enough to remember him as a player too and he was very good! Houston made the right move hiring him after the scandal. He was a veteran manager with a calming voice. The organization needed that at that point.

Have you read the book Cheated: The Inside Story of the Astros Scandal and a Colorful History of Sign Stealing? I read it this past summer and found it fascinating. I couldn't put it down.

I haven’t read this but it’s definitely something I would read. I just hope it doesn’t make me angry to the point where I want to take back my forgiveness LOL

Do you get to attend games very often?

Not nearly as often as I’d like to unfortunately. I haven’t been to one in quite awhile now. I’m planning on being in New York again next summer so hopefully the Yanks will be in town while I’m up there.

Do you go to a lot of Dodger games? Back in July I had family vacationing out in California and they went to Chavez Ravine on a Tuesday night. They were shocked at how packed it was. I explained to them that the Dodgers draw more fans than any other team so this isn’t unusual. They were in awe.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Well how about those Rangers? I'm pleased Arizona was able to not get blown out by Philly.

I do kind of enjoy the role of being the villain though.

Like they sometimes say "you must be doing something right if everybody hates you." Also, Dodgers fans are jerks, so I don't blame people for hate us. :lol:

I gotta say Baltimore really disappointed me. Maybe they’re just too young and need another year. I do love that roster though! Rutschman, Mullins, Henderson, Mountcsstle, Hicks, etc. They are primed for a run if they can keep it together for awhile.

I think they might be a presence again next year. Especially if they can build a little during the offseason.

You can buy the best player at every position and it guarantees nothing. You can’t buy chemistry. You have to buy the right parts that fit and that’s not easy.

The Dodgers are living proof of that for the past few years especially. Also, the Dodgers skew so old (for baseball) player-wise. They need some more young guys to fire them up.

I guess I’m kind of over the whole sign stealing thing. They did it, they got caught, they were punished, let’s move on. Obviously I don’t condone it but I’m not going to make excuses either.

Plus everyone involved has either left baseball or moved to other teams with the exception of Bregman and Altuve.
I just hope it doesn’t make me angry to the point where I want to take back my forgiveness LOL

If anything, it made me more understanding of everyone involved and even sympathetic towards some of the people involved. It was a stupid thing to do but I bet it happens a lot more than people know. It was fascinating reading how it all spiraled out of control.

I’m planning on being in New York again next summer so hopefully the Yanks will be in town while I’m up there.

I hope you're able to see them again next summer. I got to go to a Yankee's game a long time ago and had a blast.

Do you go to a lot of Dodger games?

Not as often as I like--maybe twice a year. I collect the bobbleheads, so I try to go to a few of those games. It's so expensive! I'd go every weekend and lots during the summer if I could afford it.

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well how about those Rangers? I'm pleased Arizona was able to not get blown out by Philly.
I didn’t expect the Rangers to win the first two in Houston. That surprised me I have to say. I’m pulling for Arizona but this Phillie team is just on fire right now! I think beating Atlanta again made them even more confident.

Like they sometimes say "you must be doing something right if everybody hates you." Also, Dodgers fans are jerks, so I don't blame people for hate us. :lol:
Well, coming from quite possibly the biggest jerks of a fan base that ever lived, let me welcome you to the club! No one is more annoying, or perhaps more delusional, than the biggest Yankee fans.

I remember a few weeks ago reading the articles coming out of New York with the writers discussing the Yankees playoff chances. Really? I mean, I knew the season was long lost at this point but I guess you have to admire the refusal to give up with our fans. Yes, mathematically they were still alive at that time but it was such a small chance and here were the NY writers refusing to go quietly. I respect that.

I think they might be a presence again next year. Especially if they can build a little during the offseason.
I like what Baltimore has done. They kind of remind me of Houston circa 2015. Not quite there yet but definitely on their way. They don’t spend much money and that’s what concerns me cause I hope they don’t end up losing some of these kids already as they become stars.

The Dodgers are living proof of that for the past few years especially. Also, the Dodgers skew so old (for baseball) player-wise. They need some more young guys to fire them up.
Yes, they do need to get younger. There’s something to be said for veteran leadership. Every team needs it but there’s also something to be said for youth and athleticism. It’s equally important.

The Dodgers have to find a way to keep that staff healthy too. It just seems like they have a ton of injuries pitching wise every season. Losing Urias to his issues obviously didn’t help either.

Plus everyone involved has either left baseball or moved to other teams with the exception of Bregman and Altuve.
Yes, I agree. Hardly anyone from the scandal is still around. I know Altuve is so hated, by both our fan bases, but I have to say it’s hard not to respect him as a player. He’s such a catalyst for that team. Bregman too. Both are excellent leaders.

If anything, it made me more understanding of everyone involved and even sympathetic towards some of the people involved. It was a stupid thing to do but I bet it happens a lot more than people know. It was fascinating reading how it all spiraled out of control.
I’m sure it’s happened much more than we even know. Cheating has always been a part of sports. Is it right? No, of course not, but it does happen. No one can tell me the Astros and Red Sox were the only two teams stealing signs. I’m sure it was widespread.

But when you win, things come to the surface more than when you lose. You become the spectacle and everyone’s watching you. Houston and Boston both won it all and someone got wind of what they had done so they got caught. Had they both lost those World Series they probably would’ve gotten away with it.

I hope you're able to see them again next summer. I got to go to a Yankee's game a long time ago and had a blast.
It’s a fun experience! I know it’s not the most popular sport anymore and I get that, but I still love it. It may not be as exciting as the other sports on TV but in person I feel it’s much different.

Not as often as I like--maybe twice a year. I collect the bobbleheads, so I try to go to a few of those games. It's so expensive! I'd go every weekend and lots during the summer if I could afford it.
Very expensive! I guess with our teams that will never change. Someone’s gotta pay for those $40M per year salaries that our guys make. Unfortunately, that someone is us.

How long have you been collecting the bobble heads? How big a collection do you have?

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I’m pulling for Arizona but this Phillie team is just on fire right now! I think beating Atlanta again made them even more confident.

There's no stopping them. I think they just might go all the way. A Phillies/Rangers World Series should be a very good series.

Well, coming from quite possibly the biggest jerks of a fan base that ever lived, let me welcome you to the club! No one is more annoying, or perhaps more delusional, than the biggest Yankee fans.

:giggle:

I remember a few weeks ago reading the articles coming out of New York with the writers discussing the Yankees playoff chances. Really? I mean, I knew the season was long lost at this point but I guess you have to admire the refusal to give up with our fans. Yes, mathematically they were still alive at that time but it was such a small chance and here were the NY writers refusing to go quietly. I respect that.

You have to love the hopefulness and blind loyalty of some baseball fans. I tend to be a little more realistic--positive but realistic. The Dodger's version of that right now is all the fans still thinking Ohtani is coming to us next year. I guess it's possible the team could pull it off, but I just don't see him choosing to go there. But the ever hopeful fans are acting like it's practically a sure thing.

Yes, they do need to get younger. There’s something to be said for veteran leadership. Every team needs it but there’s also something to be said for youth and athleticism. It’s equally important.
They need some guys with fire and passion and some guys that are hungry. I love Freddie and I like Mookie, but they come across so complacent. I think Freddie is a good leader, but we need a bunch of young guys for him to lead.

The Dodgers have to find a way to keep that staff healthy too.

Yes!! We need healthy pitchers.

I know Altuve is so hated, by both our fan bases, but I have to say it’s hard not to respect him as a player.

Based on everything I've ever read, I firmly believe Altuve didn't participate in the sign stealing. If people want to hold a grudge against someone, hold it against Correa, who has never really seemed that contrite about it. But better yet, just let it go. It's history.

I’m sure it’s happened much more than we even know. Cheating has always been a part of sports.

That's another thing I liked about the book. It went into a bit of the history of sign stealing in the sport.

It may not be as exciting as the other sports on TV but in person I feel it’s much different.

I agree. It such a fun, social experience in person.

Someone’s gotta pay for those $40M per year salaries that our guys make. Unfortunately, that someone is us.

Now if if our guys could just do a little more to earn those hefty salaries.

How long have you been collecting the bobble heads? How big a collection do you have?

I'm actually kind of a new-ish baseball fan. I've only been watching for about three years. I've been collecting bobbleheads for about two years. I have 15 bobbleheads right now--all Dodgers except for one--Julio Rodriguez. I love that guy. The Mariners are my second favorite team.

Last edited:

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Well . . . at least Arizona can feel proud and hold on to the fact that they beat the Dodgers.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There's no stopping them. I think they just might go all the way. A Phillies/Rangers World Series should be a very good series.
I’ve seen every World Series since 1982 and I can’t remember the last time I saw a team this dominant. They have no flaw right now. Offense, defense, pitching, they have it all going strong right now.

Phillies-Rangers could be a lot of fun!

You have to love the hopefulness and blind loyalty of some baseball fans. I tend to be a little more realistic--positive but realistic. The Dodger's version of that right now is all the fans still thinking Ohtani is coming to us next year. I guess it's possible the team could pull it off, but I just don't see him choosing to go there. But the ever hopeful fans are acting like it's practically a sure thing.
I’m more like you, positive but realistic at the same time. Ohtani is an amazing story. He’s doing something that’s never been done in about 100 years.

But there’s a reason we haven’t seen this in our lifetime. Sadly your body is not meant to play both sides of the ball long term. I think he’s putting too much pressure on himself physically. When the Angels shut him down for the season after the injury but continued to let him hit I cringed. They were out of it at that point. Protect your investment. There was no reason for him to keep playing.

I get it. He’s a huge draw. The fans come out to see him. He’s a great story, but now he’s having his second surgery in 5 years I believe. Wherever he goes I think a decision has to be made. Let him pitch or let him hit. One or the other, it can’t be both long term.

And unfortunately now he may get a much lower deal wherever he ends up. At one point I really thought he might end up with the Dodgers but now I’m not so sure. His future may be in doubt. Make him an everyday player and take him out of the starting rotation or let him start and only pitch. Perhaps they can work something out where he only pitches out of the pen but continues to hit, etc. but somehow he needs to be taken care of better.

They need some guys with fire and passion and some guys that are hungry. I love Freddie and I like Mookie, but they come across so complacent. I think Freddie is a good leader, but we need a bunch of young guys for him to lead.
I agree. They already have a lot of good veterans but they need more youth. With the talent they’ve had over the past decade they really should have more than one title to show for it.

I hate to say it but the big contracts do seem to make guys complacent more often than not. I’m not saying these guys don’t deserve what they’re getting in today’s market but there’s something to be said for these young kids that come up from the minors and are playing for peanuts. They’re hungrier. All they want to do is win and make a name for themselves.

Yes!! We need healthy pitchers.
This seems to be the key to the game now. You don’t necessarily need the best staff to win but if you can keep it healthy through October you’ve got a fair shot. This absolutely killed our teams this year. For us only Cole stayed healthy the entire season.

Based on everything I've ever read, I firmly believe Altuve didn't participate in the sign stealing. If people want to hold a grudge against someone, hold it against Correa, who has never really seemed that contrite about it. But better yet, just let it go. It's history.
I have to agree. Let it go already. Like I tell other Yankee fans every time Houston beats us, “They didn’t need to steal our signs. Why on earth would they want them?” I hate excuses. Go beat them and stop complaining.

That's another thing I liked about the book. It went into a bit of the history of sign stealing in the sport.
I remember the story of the Giants stealing signs in 1951 from the Dodgers so if they were doing it back then today’s scandals really weren’t anything new for MLB.

A forgotten fact is that the Yankees were named in a sign stealing investigation of their own not long after the Astros. Surprisingly it was swept under the rug. I’m assuming MLB had had enough at this point and didn’t want to investigate their cash cow in New York.

I agree. It such a fun, social experience in person.
Yes! I played it from when I was about 6 so to me it was a huge part of my childhood. I love the other sports too but I’ll always prefer baseball. Of course I tend to take a lot of flack from the NFL and NBA fans in my family but that’s okay.

Now if if our guys could just do a little more to earn those hefty salaries.
We’re kind of in the same boat. Other than Cole this year no one else really earned their pay. That’s why I crack up when I see these lower payroll teams winning 90 to 100 games but I’m glad for them. They’re proving our teams wrong in the way they do things.

I'm actually kind of a new-ish baseball fan. I've only been watching for about three years. I've been collecting bobbleheads for about two years. I have 15 bobbleheads right now--all Dodgers except for one--Julio Rodriguez. I love that guy. The Mariners are my second favorite team.
Bobble heads are cool! I know some people that collect them too but I’ve honestly never owned one. My thing is jerseys. I own a lot of them. Of course they’re very expensive so I usually buy them on clearance when I can find them.

I really like Julio. That kid virtually came out of nowhere. Seattle had me taking notice in August when they were on that incredible run but then they cooled down in September unfortunately. I was rooting for them cause it’s yet another case of a team that gets the most they can out of a small payroll. All they need is a few more pieces and they could be scary.

Well . . . at least Arizona can feel proud and hold on to the fact that they beat the Dodgers
Yeah, it’s not looking good I guess. They’re just overmatched I’m afraid. Maybe they can get a win in game three and get climb back into it but I’m not sure that’s gonna happen right now the way Philadelphia looks.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I’ve seen every World Series since 1982

Wow! That's impressive! I've only watched one complete World Series.

Phillies-Rangers could be a lot of fun!

Looks like the Astros are back in it. I love all the excitement and I'm very happy for the D-Backs that they managed to not get swept.

But there’s a reason we haven’t seen this in our lifetime. Sadly your body is not meant to play both sides of the ball long term. I think he’s putting too much pressure on himself physically. When the Angels shut him down for the season after the injury but continued to let him hit I cringed. They were out of it at that point. Protect your investment. There was no reason for him to keep playing.

I get it. He’s a huge draw. The fans come out to see him. He’s a great story, but now he’s having his second surgery in 5 years I believe. Wherever he goes I think a decision has to be made. Let him pitch or let him hit. One or the other, it can’t be both long term.

I hadn't really thought much about how hard he is pushing himself doing both DH and pitching. It's a really good point. It will be interesting to see how his new team decides to use him.

I hate to say it but the big contracts do seem to make guys complacent more often than not. I’m not saying these guys don’t deserve what they’re getting in today’s market but there’s something to be said for these young kids that come up from the minors and are playing for peanuts. They’re hungrier. All they want to do is win and make a name for themselves.

Freddie and Mookie certainly earned their contracts in the regular season. But I wonder if they lack a hunger and a fire when the stakes get higher, the crowds get harsher and the competition gets fiercer in the post season. I know they work hard but I just think some young guys to get them fired up would really help. That's why I REALLY missed Gavin Lux this season. Besides being my second favorite guy on the team, he can keep things interesting in the dugout.

forgotten fact is that the Yankees were named in a sign stealing investigation of their own not long after the Astros. Surprisingly it was swept under the rug. I’m assuming MLB had had enough at this point and didn’t want to investigate their cash cow in New York.

That was mentioned in the book. It was really a well written explanation of everything that went down. As the momentum was building towards everything ultimately coming out, at times it sort of read like a thriller. I'd definitely read another sports related book by the same author.

Yes! I played it from when I was about 6 so to me it was a huge part of my childhood. I love the other sports too but I’ll always prefer baseball. Of course I tend to take a lot of flack from the NFL and NBA fans in my family but that’s okay.

I love that. It shocked the heck out of me a couple of years ago when I started following the game and realized I enjoyed it. I've never been a "sports guy."

My thing is jerseys. I own a lot of them. Of course they’re very expensive so I usually buy them on clearance when I can find them.

I have a couple of jerseys--Taylor (my favorite), Smith and Freeman--but they are just SO expensive. My next one will either be Lux (if they sign him to a multi-year contract ever) or a Rodriguez/Mariners jersey. What are some of your favorite jerseys that you have? Are they all Yankees?

I really like Julio. That kid virtually came out of nowhere.

And he seems like a good kid. He LOVES baseball and loves his fans.

Seattle had me taking notice in August when they were on that incredible run but then they cooled down in September unfortunately.

That's their thing. They get on a roll and get all of us excited thinking this is going to be the year they make the playoffs and then they can't maintain their momentum. Hard to believe they were ahead of Texas for a bit in late summer.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've only watched one complete World Series.
It’s usually a sport most people just don’t start “getting into” later on. I notice most baseball fans are usually fans of it from very early on like I was.

I’m not really sure what originally hooked me on the sport. It was the early 80s and at the time baseball was still the most popular sport so maybe that’s what it was.

Looks like the Astros are back in it. I love all the excitement and I'm very happy for the D-Backs that they managed to not get swept.
Amazing how things have changed in the past 48 hours, isn’t it? Never count out the Astros. They just know how to flip that switch in October. I really admire them.

These last two games out in Arizona are why I love this sport so much. There’s something special about a team that’s outmanned talent wise compared to the other team yet still refuses to die. This series is something very special right now. Both series have been great but I’m really enjoying watching this Arizona team try to slay the giant. It’s very compelling.

I hadn't really thought much about how hard he is pushing himself doing both DH and pitching. It's a really good point. It will be interesting to see how his new team decides to use him.
Don’t get me wrong, he’s truly an amazing story and I love watching it. But in an era where pitchers throw harder than ever and surgeries are at an all time high in the sport, I’d rather protect my investment long term.

I guess it depends on the team he goes to and what their needs are. The Angels needed his arm and his bat. Maybe he goes to a team that only needs one of those things and he can take it easier.

Freddie and Mookie certainly earned their contracts in the regular season. But I wonder if they lack a hunger and a fire when the stakes get higher, the crowds get harsher and the competition gets fiercer in the post season. I know they work hard but I just think some young guys to get them fired up would really help. That's why I REALLY missed Gavin Lux this season. Besides being my second favorite guy on the team, he can keep things interesting in the dugout.
You bring up a good point. Perhaps it’s harder to stay motivated with that kind of money on the table. I do love seeing the elite players with the huge contracts producing in October. That is what we pay them for after all. It’s very frustrating to me when a great regular season player has a disappointing postseason. I know it’s easy for us to sit here and criticize but I’ve always said that we really don’t know if a player is truly elite until he does it on the big stage. I’ve seen so many average players shine in October and I’ve seen so many great players struggle in October over the years that it’s all so hard to figure out sometimes. That’s kind of the beauty of it all though; the unexpected. The unlikely hero is always a great story.

That's why I REALLY missed Gavin Lux this season. Besides being my second favorite guy on the team, he can keep things interesting in the dugout.
He was definitely a huge loss. Every team needs that guy that can provide the spark. Every championship team has that somewhere in the lineup. I’ve never seen anyone win without that to be honest.

That was mentioned in the book. It was really a well written explanation of everything that went down. As the momentum was building towards everything ultimately coming out, at times it sort of read like a thriller. I'd definitely read another sports related book by the same author.
I’m definitely putting this on my list of things to read in the near future. I love these kinds of books. These scandals are always highly entertaining.

Did you ever read JUICED? That was the book about the steroid scandal of the 90s. It’s very compelling. I’m not sure how much of it is true versus how much of it is fiction but it’s definitely not a boring read. That I can tell you.

It shocked the heck out of me a couple of years ago when I started following the game and realized I enjoyed it. I've never been a "sports guy."
So what was it that made you get into the sport? Was it the Dodgers success in general? I know how huge they are out there!

Crazy how they draw almost 4 million fans every year! Casual fans of the sport don’t believe me when I tell them the Dodgers outdraw the Yankees every year but they do.

I have a couple of jerseys--Taylor (my favorite), Smith and Freeman--but they are just SO expensive. My next one will either be Lux (if they sign him to a multi-year contract ever) or a Rodriguez/Mariners jersey.
Taylor is a highly underrated player in my opinion. It amazes me how the Braves lost Freeman and didn’t miss a beat. If they’re smart they won’t let Lux walk.

I do wonder if Seattle can pay Rodriguez long term though. I hope he stays there but we know how that usually goes.

What are some of your favorite jerseys that you have? Are they all Yankees?
Believe it or not only one is a Yankee. I have a Derek Jeter. I’ve had a couple of Don Mattingly’s over the years but unfortunately they’re long gone. He was my favorite player.

For some reason most of my other jerseys are other sports. I have a Chicago Bulls jersey, a Laker jersey, both just team ones with no names on the back.

And then from the NFL I have a Tom Brady on Tampa Bay, an Aaron Rodgers on the Jets, a Dan Marino, and I also have a Raider and Cowboy jersey. Both of those are generic.

I probably have more baseball ones somewhere but I gotta look for them. Like you say though, they are very expensive so I usually buy them when I can find a good deal.

That's their thing. They get on a roll and get all of us excited thinking this is going to be the year they make the playoffs and then they can't maintain their momentum. Hard to believe they were ahead of Texas for a bit in late summer.
The way it was going there for awhile I thought they might steal the division. Last year when they made the playoffs I was keeping a close eye on them. I know they lost to Houston, as expected, but I was impressed at how close the games were. They kept it competitive. Shame they didn’t get back this year.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Well, that was two exciting series to wrap up the playoff run. While I'm a little disappointed at how it ended (if I could choose it would have been Rangers/Diamondbacks) both teams deserve the rematch. Now I'm fully rooting for the Phillies to overcome the Astros.

Did you ever read JUICED? That was the book about the steroid scandal of the 90s. It’s very compelling. I’m not sure how much of it is true versus how much of it is fiction but it’s definitely not a boring read. That I can tell you.
Is that the Jose Conseco book? I haven't read it, but it sounds fascinating. I added it to my "to be read" list. Thanks for the recommendation. I see that Conseco has also written a follow up book which sounds very interesting too.

I do wonder if Seattle can pay Rodriguez long term though. I hope he stays there but we know how that usually goes.

I try not to think of that too much. :D

So what was it that made you get into the sport?

You're going to think I'm horrible, but I started watching to root against the Dodgers to annoy my friend who is a big Dodgers fan. I would pretend whoever they were playing was my all-time favorite team and root for them. But then I started actually liking Taylor and Turner and Lux and Seager and Bellinger and Smith and before I knew it, I was a Dodgers fan.

Taylor is a highly underrated player in my opinion.

Yes!!! Thank you! I get so frustrated that more people don't realize how underrated he is. He plays multiple positions, always hustles, always works hard and is humble and hard working. One of my favorite CT3 moments was after he did something amazing and when his reporter asked about it after the game he ended up saying "I never look cool doing anything." I love that guy. So humble.

And then from the NFL I have a Tom Brady on Tampa Bay, an Aaron Rodgers on the Jets, a Dan Marino, and I also have a Raider and Cowboy jersey. Both of those are generic.
Legends!

Last edited:

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Well, that was two exciting series to wrap up the playoff run. While I'm a little disappointed at how it ended (if I could choose it would have been Rangers/Diamondbacks) both teams deserve the rematch. Now I'm fully rooting for the Phillies to overcome the Astros.

Wait, why did I think the series was over?? I need to pay better attention. :oops: Game seven here we come.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Wait, why did I think the series was over?? I need to pay better attention. :oops: Game seven here we come.
You did confuse me for a second. I was afraid you had given up, but I’m glad you didn’t cause the way things are looking both of these series are going 7. Can’t ask for anything more than that in sports.

Now I'm fully rooting for the Phillies to overcome the Astros.
Ironic how just a couple of days ago this looked like a foregone conclusion, but Texas and Arizona refuse to die.

I really have to admire Arizona for hanging tough against a team with so much more big name talent. Texas and Houston I just can’t figure out for the life of me. The road team has won every game which is really rare.

Is that the Jose Conseco book? I haven't read it, but it sounds fascinating. I added it to my "to be read" list. Thanks for the recommendation.
Yes, that’s the one. It’s a great read. Jose is not the most likable person at times and that’s putting it mildly. Not to mention he was basically blackballed from the sport for writing it, but I have to confess to actually liking him as a player back then. The guy had amazing strength. I mean, it was quite scary! Of course the roids didn’t hurt but Jose hit some of the most majestic home runs I’ve ever seen. A Canseco home run didn’t usually land in row three to be honest. If you’ve never seen it do yourself a favor and google his 1989 ALCS home run in Toronto. It’s mind boggling.

I see that Conseco has also written a follow up book which sounds very interesting too.
I’ve actually never gotten around to reading it yet. But if it’s half as good as Juiced then I’ll definitely love it.

I try not to think of that too much. :D
I totally understand. This is going to sound odd coming from a Yankee fan but I can’t stand when a good young team is hurt by losing one of its stars to free agency.

You're going to think I'm horrible, but I started watching to root against the Dodgers to annoy my friend who is a big Dodgers fan. I would pretend whoever they were playing was my all-time favorite team and root for them. But then I started actually liking Taylor and Turner and Lux and Seager and Bellinger and Smith and before I knew it, I was a Dodgers fan.
That’s actually pretty funny! It’s also very ironic that you would end up liking them after rooting against them in the beginning. I’ve done this as well at times. I’ll root against a team just cause it seems everyone is on their bandwagon for some reason, and then I’ll end up liking them too once I check them out.

Yes!!! Thank you! I get so frustrated that more people don't realize how underrated he is. He plays multiple positions, always hustles, always works hard and is humble and hard working. One of my favorite CT3 moments was after he did something amazing and when his reporter asked about it after the game he ended up saying "I never look cool doing anything." I love that guy. So humble.
He seems to not let it go to his head. I thought he was such a huge part of their run in 2020 and really didn’t get enough credit. I especially love his defense and the fact that he is such a clutch hitter.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
You did confuse me for a second. I was afraid you had given up, but I’m glad you didn’t cause the way things are looking both of these series are going 7. Can’t ask for anything more than that in sports.

I forgot its a seven game series. :D I love that they've both gone to game 7. I have no clue who it's going to be. What a surprise if Arizona manages to get past Philadelphia!

If you’ve never seen it do yourself a favor and google his 1989 ALCS home run in Toronto. It’s mind boggling.

Jeeze! That was crazy! I'm very interested to get to his book. I want to see how he comes across to me and how I feel about him after I finish the book.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I forgot its a seven game series. :D I love that they've both gone to game 7. I have no clue who it's going to be. What a surprise if Arizona manages to get past Philadelphia!
Well, if you told me back in April that I’d be watching Texas and Arizona in the World Series I probably would’ve died laughing but here we are! A team that’s never won versus a team that hasn’t won in 22 years. They are both great stories though.

It’s just so hard to believe that Atlanta, Los Angeles, both need York teams, Baltimore, Tampa, Philadelphia and Houston are all going to be sitting home watching.

Jeeze! That was crazy! I'm very interested to get to his book. I want to see how he comes across to me and how I feel about him after I finish the book.

You definitely won’t be bored. He tells some amazing stories. He outed the sport and all of the investigations that followed were a direct result. It really ended up changing the sport forever.

Was it the right thing to do? Well, it’s not what I would’ve done but obviously he had his reasons, some of which he gets into in the book as well.

He had to know the backlash he would receive, and for that I’ll give him credit for facing the heat once all the bombs were dropped. But of course he ended up getting himself unofficially “banned” from the game. The sport wants nothing to do with him, and sadly he would’ve been in the hall of fame by now in all likelihood.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And so it’s over, and apparently @Jason73 you and I are the only two baseball fans left.

Regardless, another season in the books. I’m happy for the Texas Rangers considering they’ve never won a title until now. That leaves only five teams still looking for that first championship.

I’m sure our two teams will spend a kajillion dollars this offseason as usual so at least we have that to look forward to. Of course, most likely they will screw it up for us by buying all the wrong parts that don’t mesh together but hey, that’s what we do in the Bronx and Southern Cal, right?

At least we know we won’t be bored watching them try.

Jason73

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
And so it’s over, and apparently @Jason73 you and I are the only two baseball fans left.

:lol: There isn't a lot of intersection between baseball fans and 80's soaps fans I guess.

Regardless, another season in the books. I’m happy for the Texas Rangers considering they’ve never won a title until now. That leaves only five teams still looking for that first championship.

I'm happy for the Rangers and it's been especially fun seeing normally quiet, focused, staid Corey Seager have so much fun. I love how he managed to throw some shade at the Astro's Alex Bregman too (one of the guys who allegedly actually did cheat back in 2017, so it's no surprise Corey was happy to take a little dig.)

I’m sure our two teams will spend a kajillion dollars this offseason as usual so at least we have that to look forward to. Of course, most likely they will screw it up for us by buying all the wrong parts that don’t mesh together but hey, that’s what we do in the Bronx and Southern Cal, right?

My two least favorite periods of baseball are the trade deadline and the offseason. I can't stand all the speculation and guessing and predicting. I just want to know the end results. Aside from nabbing Freeman, the Dodgers have made fairly stupid choices in the offseason lately, so I'm not holding my breath for anything different this year. Belli and Justin Turner are both free agents now--I'd love to have both of them back. We need a good third baseman, but since we just gave Muncy two more years, I guess we are stuck with a below average third baseman and the chances for Turners return are slim given we don't need third base and probably not DH. I could live without Bellinger coming back, because I love Outman and think he is going to be great. At least my favorite guy, Chris Taylor should be fairly secure this off season. There was lots of speculation he might go during the trade deadline.

I haven't seen much speculation regarding what the Yankees might do this off season, other than Ohtani. What is their biggest need?

At least we know we won’t be bored watching them try.

I do enjoy all the fan reactions after decisions are made. Watching Dodgers fans get all riled up is a pastime I enjoy.