• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Mo's Home Maths Tuition

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Afternoon guys. I've had a lot of people contacting me asking if I can just go through a few basics regarding some of the more interesting maths principals. I'm a bit busy, but I'll see what I can do.

Take your common or garden isosceles triangle - you'll find that there are only 2 equal sides as opposed to the 3 you'll find in an equilateral triangle. Thing is, guys, we're not dealing with equilateral triangles here. No way. These are isosceles and they deserve a bit of respect for what they are. Don't get me wrong, the internal angles still equal 180 degrees .... oh god yes. That's a given with any triangle whether it be isoscles, scalene or whichever you want to mention.

I know it's not easy to take in so I'll leave you to digest what I've said so far. When I think you're ready, I'll be introducing the logarithms theory of John Napier and a few basic properties of cosine tangents.

Until next time, guys. Take care. God bless.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fascinating stuff Mo. Next time could you talk a bit about love triangles and the Bermuda triangle, as they're both a total mystery to me. I'm pretty sure one of them makes music if you hit it with a stick but I can't remember which one. It's all so confusing.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Mo Mouse

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Good call Rich - Bermuda Triangle is one of the best songs ever written by Barry Manilow.

"Bermuda Triangle .... try to look at it from my angle". ****ing genius. Now, love triangles - very interesting indeed. There is Othello, Desdemona and Iago, there is Tom, Barbara and Jerry from The Good Life but the one that everyone is talking about is myself, Susanna Reid and Oti Mabuse from Strictly.

Kyuk kyuk, fnar fnar.

Mo Mouse

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Don't mention it Rich. Nobody wants to experience three cornered embarrassment when chatting in polite company.

A word of warning though, guys - please don't make the schoolboy error of assuming that Kraft Dairylea pieces work in the same way - simply not true. The outside edge is curved rather than straight. Please don't go there.

I've got to go and get the chicken stew on but I'll be back later with some rhombus based high jinks.

Kevmac

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
My cousin played the triangle in her high school orchestra. She wasn't much cop...... 3 wrong pings an' she was out :oops:

Mo Mouse

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sounds a knotty problem, Wills. I can help with most things but this one has got me in a bit of a corner. I really don't know what to suggest.

Kev, any ideas ?

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nobody asked my opinion, but here it is anyway. You could always bring back Mo's advice corner. Personally I don't need any advice right now, but as I'm an emotional train wreck and fully fledged drama queen, chances are I'll be needing some soon.

It's either that or run the risk of having your home maths tuition thread overrun with random questions.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
So anyways... Back to the triangle. If I take up the time to study this classic but fading instrument will I be rewarded with gainful employment in the music industry? Is there much need for professional triangle players? Or should I also maybe take up the violin too? Something to fall back on should the triangle not work out? Add a few more strings to my bow, so to speak?

Ohhh..... Now, you see it's happened. I am now seeking advice in the Maths Tutorial thread. This is the last thing I wanted to happen. I don't even have any Calms left. Oh dear! I can feel my anxiety dancing barefoot on the lawn.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do you think you can manage both in one thread? And will it not confuse the forum members who actually try to learn something about maths?

I could never handle these things:
Well I'm confused because after all that your question actually is about something mathematical. I thought we were gonna get a juicy scoop about the man behind the bachelor, what he's really thinking, the dilemmas he's facing. But no...