• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Most and least convincing Texan

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The characters on Dallas seemed more "Texan" in the very early days of the series. As the show progressed the accents, or attempts at accents, as well as mannerisms and use of Texan idioms seemed to fade.
Keeping mind not just accents, but little quirks of personality that would seem to be "Texan," whom do you think was the most and the least convincing Dallas resident?

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well Larry and Susan are Texan so…
And if I'm not mistaken so is Lois Chiles. It makes me wonder if I'm biased into thinking they're the best representations of Texas to me since I have it my head already they're from that state
It would be funny if the most convincing Texan was the least southern in real life. It was pure acting.
In terms of personality Miss Ellie, played by a New York born actress, seemed to fit my image of a Texas matriarch. She conveyed that down home friendliness and southern hospitality, but was a force to be reckoned with when her temper flared.

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Stephen Elliott (Scotty)was born in New York but I always thought his thick accent was fabulous. Was he meant to be Texan or from Alabama?

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I always thought it would have been interesting had Sue Ellen been from Linda’s native state of California. I know with her being Miss Texas etc she was from Austin but Sue Ellen’s Texan did fade quickly and Linda isn’t the only non Texan in the cast. I find it quite alluring for JR to have enticed his lady from California.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
J.R. was the most convincing for me. The least convincing to me was Pam. Loved the character but I just never bought her as a true Texan.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The most convincing to me was Sheriff Fenton Washburn. Not to mention he looked like he dipped more Skoal than Walt Garrison and Earl Campbell combined!

I agree with others above that Pam’s early attempts at a Texas accent were less than convincing.

I could see Sue Ellen’s accent and delivery as being the way her mother wanted her to talk - like a high-society Southern Belle.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Larry and Linda did a nice job with a subtle accent in this scene. Watch their lively discussion starting at the 4:30 mark.