Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
Australian & New Zealand Soaps
Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="James from London" data-source="post: 333199" data-attributes="member: 22"><p>It's been a real treat tuning in for the last week or so. I only recognised a handful of the characters, but soon found myself rooting for them all (especially the poor bloke who just got dumped by Sophie from Home and Away). In some ways, it's more adult than I remember - I think the first scene I watched had someone entering a room doing up his trousers prompting a low-level knob joke from Toady, which would not have been acceptable in the '80s, and I don't think you'd have got a lengthy scene in bed between a nakedish man and woman either, much less between two men like there was the other day. Also, most of the older characters now walk around carting suitcases of emotional baggage, the result of living in a soap opera for a decade or three, which obviously wasn't the case when the show was only a few years old. But yes, it still has that sweet Neighbours-y innocence which seems far more touching and less laughable than it used to.</p><p></p><p>I love the idea of Jane as Gail Potter. I can also see a bit of Kathy Beale in there too, in that she's sort of not-your-grandma's-soap-matriarch, but still reactionary enough to keep the wheels of drama greased. Karl's son now looks more like Karl than Karl, who has turned into Paddy from <em>Emmerdale</em>, except for the competition advert he does halfway through each ep where he's recognisably Karl again. As some wag on Twitter pointed out, Shane is now played by Shirley Carter from <em>EastEnders</em>, but at the same time still looks incredibly cool. I kind of love how Terese/Sophie and Lucy Robinson have blossomed from skinny teens into these big buxom Aussie women. Terese/Sophie has a definite Sharon from <em>Enders</em> vibe about her as she glides from one set to another in a very efficient, businesslike manner while clearly on the verge of an emotional breakdown at all times. I'm not sure I'd recognise Ramsay Street itself, though. Has it had some sort of post-explosion makeover?</p><p></p><p>I tuned into see the old faces returning, but at this rate it doesn't seem like there'll be room for them to do much but stand at the back and wave. It doesn't matter really now though. They've kind of become the icing on the cake.</p><p></p><p>The Guardian has gone Neighbours mad this week:</p><p></p><p>[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/neighbours[/URL]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="James from London, post: 333199, member: 22"] It's been a real treat tuning in for the last week or so. I only recognised a handful of the characters, but soon found myself rooting for them all (especially the poor bloke who just got dumped by Sophie from Home and Away). In some ways, it's more adult than I remember - I think the first scene I watched had someone entering a room doing up his trousers prompting a low-level knob joke from Toady, which would not have been acceptable in the '80s, and I don't think you'd have got a lengthy scene in bed between a nakedish man and woman either, much less between two men like there was the other day. Also, most of the older characters now walk around carting suitcases of emotional baggage, the result of living in a soap opera for a decade or three, which obviously wasn't the case when the show was only a few years old. But yes, it still has that sweet Neighbours-y innocence which seems far more touching and less laughable than it used to. I love the idea of Jane as Gail Potter. I can also see a bit of Kathy Beale in there too, in that she's sort of not-your-grandma's-soap-matriarch, but still reactionary enough to keep the wheels of drama greased. Karl's son now looks more like Karl than Karl, who has turned into Paddy from [I]Emmerdale[/I], except for the competition advert he does halfway through each ep where he's recognisably Karl again. As some wag on Twitter pointed out, Shane is now played by Shirley Carter from [I]EastEnders[/I], but at the same time still looks incredibly cool. I kind of love how Terese/Sophie and Lucy Robinson have blossomed from skinny teens into these big buxom Aussie women. Terese/Sophie has a definite Sharon from [I]Enders[/I] vibe about her as she glides from one set to another in a very efficient, businesslike manner while clearly on the verge of an emotional breakdown at all times. I'm not sure I'd recognise Ramsay Street itself, though. Has it had some sort of post-explosion makeover? I tuned into see the old faces returning, but at this rate it doesn't seem like there'll be room for them to do much but stand at the back and wave. It doesn't matter really now though. They've kind of become the icing on the cake. The Guardian has gone Neighbours mad this week: [URL unfurl="true"]https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/neighbours[/URL] [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
Australian & New Zealand Soaps
Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top