Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
Australian & New Zealand Soaps
Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Mel O&#039;Drama" data-source="post: 333285" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the last episodes (and I'm impressed with myself for not falling asleep on the sofa as we headed towards 10pm).</p><p></p><p>It ticked all the right boxes and I thought the balance between the new and the nostalgic was excellent, with the integration between older and current characters really well done. As Angela said, it was really good to see Mike and Shane getting proper arcs. The outcome of Mike's was especially surprising. After the penultimate episode I thought [ISPOILER]how much I'd like to see a proper Jane/Mike reunion, but it seemed most improbable since the last two weeks seemed to be building slowly back to a Jane/Clive reconciliation.[/ISPOILER]</p><p></p><p>Some of the cameos were quite shamelessly "here's an actor saying a fond goodbye". Kylie and Jason's return definitely fits into this category. Like Natalie Imbruglia and <s>Delta Goodrem</s> Holly Valance's chat, there was a bit of lip service to characters' names, but one felt it was just a bit of a lark. It wasn't Scott on the terrace of the Ramsay house saying "this is so surreal", but Jason Donovan. Which is fine. The overlap between characters and actors has always been a bit blurry and here we're all on the same page, with actors, characters and viewers returning after all these years and marvelling at how it all still feel instantly recognisable and right.</p><p></p><p>It's impressive so many former cast returned one way or another. And it's always good to see Des, even if the writers seemed (understandably) too busy to find a reason for him to be there</p><p></p><p>Fleeting references to past storylines and characters. along with nostalgic photos, the memory book and well-curated flashbacks couldn't fail to satisfy fans from every era and create a real sense of the series' rich history. We even got Jane donning her glasses again and Clive his gorillagram suit. Mike's whistle-stop tour of the houses was very welcome for picking up on things I'd spotted myself in the last couple of weeks, like the missing brick pillar in Des's old house (I kind of wish they'd devoted an entire episode to the house tour and had a blatant clip show with scenes linked by Jane and Mike, but it's impressive that they fitted these scenes in at all when there was so much going on).</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>To me (not having seen <em>FC</em>), it reminded me very much of the closing narration to <em>Desperate Housewives</em>, right down to [ISPOILER]the inclusion of characters who'd died. [/ISPOILER]</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>My Mum - who read far too many home doctor type books - diagnosed nasal polyps and was most put out they were never seen to.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I'm laughing at this because it's deadly accurate.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Oh wow. And a visit to the set as well, by the looks of it.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I got a rather unimpressive 22/30. And most correct answers from beyond 1990 were pure guesswork.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Mel O'Drama, post: 333285, member: 23"] Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the last episodes (and I'm impressed with myself for not falling asleep on the sofa as we headed towards 10pm). It ticked all the right boxes and I thought the balance between the new and the nostalgic was excellent, with the integration between older and current characters really well done. As Angela said, it was really good to see Mike and Shane getting proper arcs. The outcome of Mike's was especially surprising. After the penultimate episode I thought [ISPOILER]how much I'd like to see a proper Jane/Mike reunion, but it seemed most improbable since the last two weeks seemed to be building slowly back to a Jane/Clive reconciliation.[/ISPOILER] Some of the cameos were quite shamelessly "here's an actor saying a fond goodbye". Kylie and Jason's return definitely fits into this category. Like Natalie Imbruglia and [S]Delta Goodrem[/S] Holly Valance's chat, there was a bit of lip service to characters' names, but one felt it was just a bit of a lark. It wasn't Scott on the terrace of the Ramsay house saying "this is so surreal", but Jason Donovan. Which is fine. The overlap between characters and actors has always been a bit blurry and here we're all on the same page, with actors, characters and viewers returning after all these years and marvelling at how it all still feel instantly recognisable and right. It's impressive so many former cast returned one way or another. And it's always good to see Des, even if the writers seemed (understandably) too busy to find a reason for him to be there Fleeting references to past storylines and characters. along with nostalgic photos, the memory book and well-curated flashbacks couldn't fail to satisfy fans from every era and create a real sense of the series' rich history. We even got Jane donning her glasses again and Clive his gorillagram suit. Mike's whistle-stop tour of the houses was very welcome for picking up on things I'd spotted myself in the last couple of weeks, like the missing brick pillar in Des's old house (I kind of wish they'd devoted an entire episode to the house tour and had a blatant clip show with scenes linked by Jane and Mike, but it's impressive that they fitted these scenes in at all when there was so much going on). To me (not having seen [I]FC[/I]), it reminded me very much of the closing narration to [I]Desperate Housewives[/I], right down to [ISPOILER]the inclusion of characters who'd died. [/ISPOILER] My Mum - who read far too many home doctor type books - diagnosed nasal polyps and was most put out they were never seen to. I'm laughing at this because it's deadly accurate. Oh wow. And a visit to the set as well, by the looks of it. I got a rather unimpressive 22/30. And most correct answers from beyond 1990 were pure guesswork. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Telly Talk Soaps
Australian & New Zealand Soaps
Neighbours AXED after 37 years (now saved and returning to screens in 2023)
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top