Random things you hate

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A stunning (weather wise) working week only for the weather to turn nasty for the weekend. How does Mother Nature know of such things?
I'm always fascinated when the weather seems to follow 7-day recurring pattern for a while. The year follows the sun and the month follows the moon but as far as I know the week is a religious construct with no bearing on nature.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It irritates me to hear people repeatedly use a word incorrectly. The whole "literally" versus "figuratively" war has already been lost, so I have decided to move past that atrocity. The one bothering me the most right now is "Iconic". It generally means well-known as a symbol of excellence, such as an iconic building or work of art, though I also tend to think of certain people having iconic status if they are at the top of their profession (Lucille Ball being an iconic TV figure) or the most famous person in a certain field of endeavor. Yet these days I hear/read phrases like "Here I am being iconic today" with some frivolous selfie, or "That's an iconic dress she wore today."

I think people have gotten too accustomed to hyperbole when conversing online, since social media compels people to over-state themselves in an effort to "one-up" others. It's not a bad day at work, it's "[literally] worst day evah". Her hair was not just well-styled, it was "iconic". Uhhhh.....:slap:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
People who have to go out in big groups all the time or go on holiday with big groups. I don't get it. I have one example of this and each and every time people end up fighting or arguing over bills when the meal is over. I'd much rather go out in a small intimate group with people I really trust.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i use the word literally sometimes but not in everything i say. the only time i'm really in groups generally before the pandemic is if i'm out with my brother and his wife and their kids and my folks and we go out to dinner or we are at his place for dinner.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
people end up fighting or arguing over bills when the meal is over.

You just reminded of something else I hate. And that’s people who vanish just as the bill is about to arrive. They either excuse themselves to go to the bathroom, bend down to tie their shoe or say they have to go outside to make a call. It’s quite a coincidence, isn’t it?

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
You just reminded of something else I hate. And that’s people who vanish just as the bill is about to arrive. They either excuse themselves to go to the bathroom, bend down to tie their shoe or say they have to go outside to make a call. It’s quite a coincidence, isn’t it?
Am I weird for not enjoying these huge groups or seeing the need for it?

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No, not at all @Sarah. I’m not a fan of large groups myself. The less people the better is how I’ve always felt and that was before Covid. I just feel the more people there are the more arguing there is. It makes me not want to speak when everyone is talking at once. I’ll take a nice quiet dinner with one or two people, tops.

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
No, not at all @Sarah. I’m not a fan of large groups myself. The less people the better is how I’ve always felt and that was before Covid. I just feel the more people there are the more arguing there is. It makes me not want to speak when everyone is talking at once. I’ll take a nice quiet dinner with one or two people, tops.
It’s hard. Makes me quite sad actually cos I try to keep up but I don’t fit in to it all. Every year my friend insists on a huge dinner for his birthday and every year he says he isn’t going to do it anymore because everyone argues.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It’s hard. Makes me quite sad actually cos I try to keep up but I don’t fit in to it all. Every year my friend insists on a huge dinner for his birthday and every year he says he isn’t going to do it anymore because everyone argues.
And I would imagine every year it gets tougher because every year there’s more to argue about now in this world LOL

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
And I would imagine every year it gets tougher because every year there’s more to argue about now in this world LOL
I'm kinda struggling with this. Does it make me a weirdo? I do enjoy meeting people but I am believe it or not quite awkward around a huge group if I don't know them well...and I can't take some of the in jokes and falseness when I don't know people well.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm kinda struggling with this. Does it make me a weirdo? I do enjoy meeting people but I am believe it or not quite awkward around a huge group if I don't know them well...and I can't take some of the in jokes and falseness when I don't know people well.
No, it doesn’t make you a weirdo. I used to think I was weird by avoiding large groups the way I do but I no longer think that. I totally get what ur saying. After awhile everyone pretty much accepted it as that’s just me.

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
Often there is too much going on in large groups, the dynamics of a large group can be confusing or exclusive/excluding so to speak. Usually I shy away from large groups.

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Often there is too much going on in large groups, the dynamics of a large group can be confusing or exclusive/excluding so to speak. Usually I shy away from large groups.
I’m just so tired of it and find it exhausting. There is always one bitch, someone who expects everyone to pay the same amount of money despite maybe not eating as much, the attention whore, the drama queen, the person who thinks they are the most popular… and every year I become the listening ear as to why so and so wants to know why they paid so much, why that person doesn’t like them, why this person fell out with that person etc.

Thank you as I really thought there was something wrong with me. I’m in my forties now and only have a few close friends so really do struggle to keep up with the never ending recycling of this particular group and the dramas that go in within it.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There is always one bitch, someone who expects everyone to pay the same amount of money despite maybe not eating as much, the attention whore, the drama queen, the person who thinks they are the most popular… and every year I become the listening ear as to why so and so wants to know why they paid so much, why that person doesn’t like them, why this person fell out with that person etc
Would make a good tv show!

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
as i said it depends on who is in the group, if there are ones you don't like you just don't talk to them if it's a group of people you do like and enjoy their company i have no problems talking to vast majority of them sometimes. there isn't always arguments in every group but we all have shit that really pisses us off for me it's about people who refuse to get the shot that sets me off on how stupid people are over that.

sure there's other stuff as well but right now that's well that's no #1.

as for what do i hate? aging as nobody on here i'm sure will say gee i love getting old i can see big kick in the ass for those who do enjoy it. i'm 43 today and it just does not feel like it. i don't consider myself old but than i'm a bit different i think cause if you would have asked me when i was 12 and my dad turned 40 way back in (1990)

i didn't think that was that old today you have kids saying being 30 is ancient and that drives me nuts and when i was in my 20's it drove me nuts too. i have grandparents that died at age 63 and that's not that old to me and it wasn't than when i was in my teens when they died. and one died at 69 and that's not that old either in my book anyways even at 12 when he died my grandfather i thought it was just to young. now my grandmother who is 97 she's not old to quote my mom she's f... Ancient.

she's apparently in the hospital not my mom my grandmother she's okay though it's not covid she got scratched by something doing gardening and i think it got infected so they took her and she's i think fine now. she just has to spend a couple days there i'm told.

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
@Sarah I can relate to your experiences. Groups are sometimes unavoidable in certain situations. I often smile sweetly and dumb down to make small talk more often than I care to remember.

I have a few close friends and I am content with that. Things like works Christmas parties I have never attended. I have little desire to be part of group activities.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
oh i get it too i remember in (2009) my brother threw a Rocky Horror Convention and we went out to dinner and everyone at the table was friends with my brother i barely spoke to about 95% of them and spoke to the ones around me when i needed to the rest of the table cause it was a long table unless i was talked to i ignored them

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you Biggie! Makes me feel better
Hopefully this helps as well, as this conversation brings me to something else I used to hate, and that’s social anxiety. I’ve had it most of my life so avoiding large groups is part of who I am. I used to think that there was something wrong with me that I was like this. I just can’t be around too many people at once and it’s been this way since I was a teenager. Any kind of large group that you put me in I will go into the biggest shell. I’ll barely talk and if I do speak I’ll stutter really bad. But my point is that the people that know me and truly care about me understand it. Weddings, wakes, funerals, concerts, sporting events, you name it and I’ve probably avoided it. To a lot of people I know it looks like I’m standoffish and I don’t want to be bothered, or maybe it looks like I think I’m too good to hang out with them or I’m being disrespectful but nothing could be further from the truth. My family understands it’s just who I am. So from someone that avoids large groups as a way of life trust me there’s nothing wrong with how you feel.

As an example, the holidays are very big in my family. And some years I go, and some years I don’t. I’m the only one that calls first and asks how many people are coming this year? If it’s 15 or 20, I’m probably out. Or maybe I’ll go but be very quiet all day. If it’s just a few people then I’m happy and I’ll definitely go. It all depends on how I feel. Again, most people don’t get it and don’t even try to but that’s fine. I get it and that’s who I am and that’s good enough for me.

I hate saying this next part because I don’t want it to be misconstrued and I mean no disrespect to anyone but the pandemic was at times a blessing in disguise for me. It allowed me a lot of time for myself and there was no pressure of seeing anyone I didn’t feel like seeing. I was able to avoid large groups everywhere I went. For the first time in years I felt relaxed in public instead of always being timid. Again, please forgive that part if it does offend cause that obviously isn’t my intent. I’m not comparing social anxiety to the pandemic. But with the virus came a lot of anxiety obviously for all of us. All through the pandemic last year and even now I will hear people say how socially awkward and scared they felt about being around people and how some of them will never do large groups again. And that’s totally understandable. I get that but obviously I get it for my own reasons, as I was like this long before the pandemic. Being socially awkward for me has always been a way of life.