Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Forums
Global Telly Talk
General TV
Random TV Ratings
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Daniel Avery" data-source="post: 432568" data-attributes="member: 27"><p>I guess then it was likely his idea to pick up <em>The Edge of Night </em>from CBS in late 1975. CBS had mis-handled the show by moving it from a strong 4pm (Eastern) slot (literally airing at "the edge of night") to mid-afternoon, where the ratings fell like a stone. Rather than admit their mistake and move it back to 4pm CBS announced they were cancelling it. it aired its final episode on CBS on a Friday, and a 90-minute episode aired (3pm to 4:30) the following Monday on ABC to "reintroduce all the characters and plotlines" to ABC viewers before the show settled into its new/old timeslot of 4-4:30pm. It lasted nine additional years on ABC.</p><p></p><p>ABC first experimented with expanding GH and OLTL to 45-minute episodes but ultimately decided it was best to stick to the 30-minute/60-minute blocks that Nielsen preferred to use when charting their ratings. CBS had also experimented with 45-minute soaps previously and abandoned it in favor of eventually expanding <em>Guiding Light </em>and <em>As the World Turns </em>to 60 minutes each.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Daniel Avery, post: 432568, member: 27"] I guess then it was likely his idea to pick up [I]The Edge of Night [/I]from CBS in late 1975. CBS had mis-handled the show by moving it from a strong 4pm (Eastern) slot (literally airing at "the edge of night") to mid-afternoon, where the ratings fell like a stone. Rather than admit their mistake and move it back to 4pm CBS announced they were cancelling it. it aired its final episode on CBS on a Friday, and a 90-minute episode aired (3pm to 4:30) the following Monday on ABC to "reintroduce all the characters and plotlines" to ABC viewers before the show settled into its new/old timeslot of 4-4:30pm. It lasted nine additional years on ABC. ABC first experimented with expanding GH and OLTL to 45-minute episodes but ultimately decided it was best to stick to the 30-minute/60-minute blocks that Nielsen preferred to use when charting their ratings. CBS had also experimented with 45-minute soaps previously and abandoned it in favor of eventually expanding [I]Guiding Light [/I]and [I]As the World Turns [/I]to 60 minutes each. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
General TV
Random TV Ratings
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top