• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The Bold and the Beautiful Ridge Forrester, simply the best

Which Ridge do you prefer?

• Ronn Moss

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Thorsten Kaye

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
When Ross Moss left The Bold and the Beautiful in 2012, it seemed impossible that anyone could replace him as Ridge Forrester, but Thorsten Kaye proved us wrong. He even achieved something Ronn Moss never did: to be nominated for an Emmy twice.

Ronn Moss is the original and iconic Ridge, but who is the better Ridge?

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ronn Moss is Ridge to me. I don't care that TK is the better actor of the two, I don't feel "Ridge" when I see him.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Like many daytime soaps B&B has recast so many of its regular characters I no longer have an interest in watching. Could it be this constant revolving of recasts has finally caught up with them? I personally don't like the actor now playing Ridge. Try as he might but he has no chemistry with Katherine Kelly Lang.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I personally don't like the actor now playing Ridge. Try as he might but he has no chemistry with Katherine Kelly Lang.
Destiny is gone for sure. I wouldn't go that far saying there is no chemistry, but Thorsten Kaye has the same chemistry with each love interest on the show. He was fine with Katie, Caroline, Quinn and Brooke, but Brooke should be the one who stands out.

If there was no Ridge recast at all, fans would complain about his absence from major storylines or family events, like they do with Taylor. I can't think of a better recast than Thorsten Kaye, but he still doesn't click with me.

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like TK, nothing against him personally but to me there’s only one Ridge. RM will always be the character in my book. TK just never looked right in the role to me but I don’t think that’s all his fault as this show is a complete disaster now.

In hindsight I have to say I think it would’ve been better to write Ridge off than recast. Recasting Ridge to me was like recasting Stephanie, Brooke, Eric or Taylor. It just doesn’t work.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree. It's not like he is a Forrester anyway.

I have to disagree with that. Ridge is a Forrester. I have adopted cousins, and IMO they are 100% my cousins just as those cousins who are not adopted. Blood doesn't matter, it's who raised you. That's why it annoys me when Finn suddenly calls Li by her first name and Sheila is instead "mom". What a horrendous insult!

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's why it annoys me when Finn suddenly calls Li by her first name and Sheila is instead "mom". What a horrendous insult!
It’s so ridiculous when you think about it. He knows one his whole life and the other a few weeks.

And yes I do think of Ridge as a Forrester, even if Eric isn’t his biological father. Who raised you is what really counts. I for one never liked the revelation of Massimo being Ridge’s father. It did make for good drama at the time but I feel it hurt the show.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I for one never liked the revelation of Massimo being Ridge’s father. It did make for good drama at the time but I feel it hurt the show.
Neither do I. The Marones came and brought new life to the show, but I'm still no fan of it, maybe because they are not dealing with it anymore. I guess Massimo will stay alive forever like Sally Spectra.

Has there been a memorable storyline since Thorsten Kaye joined? Ridge fell out of the helicopter, but this was more Bill's storyline than Ridge's.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
To me, Ronn Moss is the only Ridge Forrester. I remember when Thorsten Kaye was introduced in 2013. My maternal grandmother was in the hospital, and I remember thinking to myself: "Yeah, this ain't gonna work."​

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If the writing staff thought such things through better, Ridge could seek out Finn and share with him how he was in a similar situation, and how things worked out for the best with his (many) parents. One of the better aspects of soaps (one that few others can claim) is the ability to do inter-generational storytelling such as this. A young character finds himself in a bad situation, and an older member of the family is available to offer advice because they overcame that same situation in the past---and the viewers actually SAW them overcome it. He could also gently urge Finn to stop that whole "Li" business, go back to calling her "mom" and suggest he apologize to Li for slighting her. It would make her feel so much better. She didn't deserve a "demotion" like that, no more than Ridge would have suddenly started calling Eric "Mr. Forrester" or something like that. Finn could see that the relationship between Eric and Ridge was not substantially changed by the revelation that they were not bio-related, because (surprise!) their relationship will always be based on the sum total of their lives together, and not some DNA strands.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I've always liked Ronn Moss (or at least what he shows to the world) much more than Ridge Forrester. I still remember that I was very touched when I found out that Darlene Conley had died in his arms. While I'm still not sure if he should have shared something so personal with the public, I believe he has been a great comfort to her.

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
While I'm still not sure if he should have shared something so personal with the public, I believe he has been a great comfort to her.
I’m not so sure I would’ve shared something like that either but I’m glad he did. It’s nice to see how close some of them were behind the scenes.

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
It’s so ridiculous when you think about it. He knows one his whole life and the other a few weeks.

And yes I do think of Ridge as a Forrester, even if Eric isn’t his biological father. Who raised you is what really counts. I for one never liked the revelation of Massimo being Ridge’s father. It did make for good drama at the time but I feel it hurt the show.
It did hurt because Massimo wasn't there for that much longer after the reveal. Oscar, Massimo's nephew was brought in but left rather quickly. Also, Ridge and Nick never really acted like brothers.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
This year marks 10 years of Thorsten Kaye playing Ridge on B&B. Soap Opera Digest asked him about it. Here are some questions and answers.

What do you consider Ridge’s greatest strength?
“He can love multiple women at the same time.”

Who is the love of your character’s life and who is the one that got away? “
Brooke and Taylor could be each of those. It’s funny you should ask that now with what’s going on in the story. I think that question will someday be the last chapter of this book.”

If your character could go back in time and change one decision he made, what would it be?
“Ridge has been involved with many women during the time I have played him. In 10 years he’s been involved with Brooke, Taylor, Katie, Quinn, Shauna and Caroline. Did I miss anyone? For a guy who’s all about family, he does get around.”

What family member is your character closest to?
“Oh, his dad, hands I feel about John McCook [Eric] because we also have a bond in real life, but these guys on screen are equals and they have the utmost respect for one another. What Ridge feels for Eric is exactly how I feel about John. When Ridge grows up, he can only hope to be as good a man as his father.”

What was your most emotional storyline?
“Well, it’s always better not to fall for your stepmother. That was such a betrayal on Ridge’s part but their father/son love was strong enough that they could work their way past it, and look around now, Quinn is nowhere to be seen so maybe in a way, Ridge did him a favor. And if it wasn’t Ridge, it would have been Carter, which it ended up being, so there you have it.”

Do you have a favorite Ridge storyline?
“I’ve got to tell you, the Caroline story is still one of my favorites. I wish Ridge’s relationship with Douglas went a little deeper, and it still may. Who knows?

What storyline are you most proud of?
“Besides the Eric/Ridge separation, I think one of the best stories B&B has told, which Ridge wasn’t a big part of but he was still there for, was with Karla Mosley and the story she had with Rick [when Maya was revealed as transgender in 2015]. I loved that. Karla was so good in that. It got a lot of attention and at the heart of it, it really was a great love story.”

What question do you get asked most often from fans about your character? “
‘Why?’ It doesn’t matter the circumstances but it’s, ‘Why did you do this?’

What is something Ridge hasn’t done that you would like to see your character do?
“Quit Forrester Creations and do something totally on his own and totally out of character.”

What character would you like to see Ridge have a story with? “
I think I’ve worked with pretty much everybody in the cast but if R.J. came back, the father/son dynamic is always fun to explore, especially when the kid has something on the line. With everything going on with Brooke and Ridge right now, it would be interesting to see the kid’s take on things.”

What has been the best thing about playing your character?
“Any job can become a job after a while. I don’t care how you do it. The best thing about this show is the people we get to surround ourselves with every single day. Brad Bell runs a great ship. There are a terrific bunch of people who work here and I think that whenever my day comes, I’m going to walk away a better person for being here.”

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
If you want to know what Thorsten Kaye sounds like in German, here is the answer. As part of the relaunch of B&B in Germany on a pay TV channel, Thorsten Kaye was asked to inform viewers in German about what is important in episode 7800 after 1800 episodes were simply skipped.
By the way, Thorsten Kaye's support didn't help either. After just four months, B&B was canceled, not for the first time on German TV, but probably for the last time. Simply skipping seven years didn't appeal to the audience.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thorsten Kaye
Admittedly I really don’t follow the show anymore but I have to say he has grown on me from the interviews I’ve seen over the years. He seems like a really decent, down to earth person. Hard to believe he’s been there that long already in that role. Taking over that character from someone that played it for 25 years can’t be easy.