• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

S04E10 I Hate to Spoil Your Memories

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A GIRL'S GOTTA DO WHAT A GIRL'S GOTTA DO - As Fallon (Elizabeth Gillies) prepares for the Fallon Unlimited IPO, she and Liam (Adam Huber) make some startling discoveries and call in the one person who can help - Jeff (Sam Adegoke). Blake (Grant Show) and Cristal (Daniella Alonso) commit to making new memories, with Blake unaware of the reason why Cristal is suddenly so adventurous. Meanwhile, Kirby (Maddison Brown) continues her modeling assignment with Oliver (guest star Luke Cook) as Adam (Sam Underwood) becomes increasingly jealous, and Anders (Alan Dale) very suspicious. Also starring Robert C. Riley and Rafael de la Fuente (#410). The episode was written by Elaine Loh and directed by Ayoka Chenzira. Original airdate 7/16/2021

Read more: Listings - DYNASTY on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20210625cw13/&date=07/16/2021#ixzz70kUfbOhE

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The flash-forward at graveside....Fallon is seated. Adam joins her. Then Sam sits in a seat behind her.

Blake and Cristal are back from riding motorcycles. Cristal tells Adam she is going to live life to the fullest and create memories before she dies, even if Blake doesn't know why. We next see them on the jet, where they head to Paris for a private dinner at the Louvre. [insert grumbles about Steven here]

Oliver dangles another modeling gig in front of Kirby...along with more cocaine to help her keep up her energy. It becomes clear that hooking her on cocaine is a part of his plan with Alexis (??). Adam tries to creep the guy out (the whole "hugging just a few seconds too long" thing he used to do with Fallon and Liam), while Anders tries to THROW him out, since Anders knows what bad news Oliver is. It doesn't help when Anders makes his usual phone calls and discovers Oliver suddenly dropped everything (a job, apartment, etc.) to come to Atlanta for a relatively minor photography project.

Ryan wants to see more of Sam, but Sam is distracted (guilty). At least they're finally being touchy-feely. Is it me, or is Fletcher looking a lot more creepy, while Ryan is looking like the nerdiest stripper ever? Fletcher is apparently helping with some sort of expansion project at the hotel. Someone else on the project is trying to intimidate Sam into over-paying or something like that (or so says Fletcher), so Culhane offers to tag along to a meeting to back Sam up.

Fallon is treating Jeff like her personal IT guy...but in the midst of their typical banter he discovers someone is hacking her systems and siphoning off money, contact information, etc. just as the IPO for Fallon Unlimited (dare I call it "FU?") is soon to hit. Fallon wants Jeff to be on the Board of Directors, but he's not keen on the idea.
Jeff heads off the attack and determines it's an inside job. So we get to see a hilarious segment where several FU employees are hooked up to a lie detector---including a returned-to-the-US Blake, who is not amused. It's looking like Emir, one of Fallon's office flunkies, might be the guilty party. Where is Martine? He seemingly fails her hidden-camera test. Apparently pedicures are not his only talent. But Jeff finds it's not as simple as it looks. He's about to make a breakthrough when Fallon's pushiness finally sets him off.

For some reason the guy wants to sign the final papers on Sam's deal at a nightclub? Sounds fishy. Oh, yeah---there is a stripper at the club. Surprise! Ryan's about to give Fletcher a lap dance when Sam jumps up, explains the situation to the two (including the fact that he slept with Fletcher) and storms out. I'm left wondering: has Ryan been lying about his near-constant studying and in fact stripping all this time? The deal falls apart, and Culhane asks why not let him (Culhane) invest in this expansion project? Apparently he thinks Monica wants to unload Club Colby (??) which apparently is next door to La Garbage (??!!)

Blake decides he and Cristal needs a true "start over" by renewing their vows. They have a beautiful ceremony (DA looks amazing!) with no family present. And now Cristal has changed her mind and wants to fight to live. Can Adam now come up with some miracle cure?

Jeff and Fallon have an argument about how she always pushed him around, even when they were teens. Back then he let her steam-roll him because he feared that he would lose his Carrington Scholarship if he made Fallon angry. But now? He has no reason to do as she says, and he decides to leave. She can figure out on her own who is attacking her computer systems. Well, actually she can't, but you know what I mean.

Adam's feeling neglected by Kirby, who keeps cancelling dates and such. Adam points out he can recognize the signs of drug abuse. They argue; she storms out. Anders is waiting for Oliver in his room and in the course of their argument Anders figures out Alexis is behind Oliver's 'visit'. Oliver continues wrapping Kirby around his finger.

Sam tells Ryan that he wants to be with Ryan, not Fletcher. Ryan says their timing is bad; perhaps once their lives get in better places they could try again? Okay, my main issue: what the HELL is Sam wearing??? I guess we won't see Ryan again, but will Sam be tacky enough to go to Fletcher and claim he's chosen Fletcher over Ryan? ;)

Fallon makes up with Jeff, who has solved her computer issue, or so he says. We then see some woman surrounded by computer monitors spouting gibberish about having gotten into the system anyway. Someone clicked on a strange link in an e-mail at FU's offices. Good lord, this is 2021 and people still do that?

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The deal falls apart, and Culhane asks why not let him (Culhane) invest in this expansion project? Apparently he thinks Monica wants to unload Club Colby (??) which apparently is next door to La Garbage (??!!)
This is just LOL. They've never mentioned that La Garbage and Club Colby is next to each other, but I guess they want to give Culhane something to do so why not have him run Club Colby (which will turn into La Garbage After Dark?)? Poor Monica though, she's pretty much been entirely written out with the last ties severed.

I guess it's not Amanda hacking Fallon's files then...

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I admit my eyes sort of glaze over when they do these "some mysterious entity is hacking my computer" because computer hacking is not very "telegenic". Some stranger sitting at a computer typing away frantically and talking to themselves (in order to fill in the viewer as to what he or she is doing) is not the height of drama. If it had been someone I knew (was I supposed to recognize the woman? I'm serious here...was she someone we'd already seen?) it might have had more impact. For all I know, it could be Amanda. Is this somehow connected to Liam's investigation of his father's death?

Heck, if I knew just what Fallon Unlimited did to make money, the story might have more impact.

If I had not seen how Jeff has softened since his divorce, I would have thought *he* was actually the one doing the hacking stuff.
(which will turn into La Garbage After Dark?)?
It's a small nightclub. They could call it the Trash Compactor.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Heck, if I knew just what Fallon Unlimited did to make money, the story might have more impact.
From the recaps/reviews I'm reading here on tellytalk the return season of Dynasty is not exactly riveting television. Everything sounds rather dull. Goes to prove the producers/showrunner/writers had no clue how to create a solid drama accompanied with a good story-arc. What is this? Season 4?

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
From the recaps/reviews I'm reading here on tellytalk the return season of Dynasty is not exactly riveting television. Everything sounds rather dull. Goes to prove the producers/showrunner/writers had no clue how to create a solid drama accompanied with a good story-arc. What is this? Season 4?
I agree. I still haven't seen any episodes of season 4 and nothing of what I've read about it has convinced me to watch it... except maybe Amanda's arrival.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Others might disagree, but I think the show-runners are doing a better job with their storytelling this season. I disliked how in seasons past they felt they needed to do self-contained stories that began and ended within the hour. Now it seems they have fully embraced the serialized format where things take a little longer to play out. I also like that they've "shared the wealth" by giving more screen-time to the other stars of the show. Liz G is still the star of the piece, but they've likely realized that they're killing the Golden Goose if they overwork her. While they are still challenged to keep some of the characters occupied (especially Sam, Culhane, and to a lesser extent Jeff), it's not just All Fallon, All The Time . I'm kind of amazed, for instance, at how well they kept Cristal so relevant and visible while Daniela Alonso was off having her baby, and now that she appears to be back full time, her brain tumor story looks like it will be interesting. . They're finally doing right by Dominique, story-wise, and I think they've finally settled on how they want Alexis to behave (and how they want her to be treated by others). They still have some work to do in convincing me that they view Liam as more than "Mr. Fallon Carrington", though it's hard to say since we don't know where this story with his father will take us. At least we've moved away from the situation we saw earlier where every character seemed to be orbiting Planet Fallon. Blake and Cristal's reunion and continued stories are basically independent of Fallon's stories, as well they should be. Adam is no longer on Fallon's radar at all. Kirby isn't dependent on Fallon to get screen time. Sam, for better or worse isn't functioning as her talk-to and partner-in-harebrained-scheming. So the balance is noticeable, though will likely remain a work in progress, depending on who dies in the season's flash-forward thing.

Another thing I find an improvement is the occasional "deeper thought" we see in dialogue. The show will never be written by philosophers, for sure, but give them credit for occasionally allowing the characters to show introspection. A lot of people tune in for the sarcasm and insults, but when they allow two characters to talk like "normal people" for a few minutes and analyze their situations, it's very rewarding. The cave-in at the mine was the first chance Dom and Alexis got to say out loud what others are thinking regarding their parenting skills, showing they really did think deeper than which jewelry they planned to wear that day. The chat Jeff and Fallon had in this episode allowed them to remind us that they have a much longer history than just the past four years of bickering/plotting. These departures from the usual superficial dialogue are nice to see; perhaps they have hired some new writers with different viewpoints?

Last edited:

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I made an effort to get back on the horse. I don't ride horses but I thought I coul easily deal with that lazy nag...
This show is called Dynasty after all...
I've just finished watching episode 7.
Yawn.
Double yawn.
They obviously try to be a little more grounded and character driven. They even try a little bit of psychology...
At least when it was a cartoonish firework of nonsense and madness and camp, it was entertaining and you could laugh at least. Now it's just boring. Storylines are so cliché... Seen a zillion times. (If you may call this endless scroll of lines storylines... )
I don't give a crap about Sam' daytime style love life. I don't give a s*** about Flake (or Blallon if you prefer). I don't give a f*** about this wooden Dominique and this burned Alexis. I'd rather drink Alexis Dexter's champagne.
And, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn about the "who's in the casket ?". I just wish the poor thing a wonderfull afterlife. Because I do believe there's life after Dynasty and it can't be deadlier...

Last edited: