Menu
Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
US Soaps
Daytime Soaps
Santa Barbara
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Daniel Avery" data-source="post: 238998" data-attributes="member: 27"><p><em>Secret Storm</em> was probably Donna Mills's first TV gig. From what I've read about the show, it sounds really difficult to follow. As for DJA, I think soaps were in a phase of hiring 'name' actors to give their show buzz and she was there mainly to get people to talk, not carry a lot of story. She eventually got recast with Janis Paige, in one of those rare de-SORASing situations where a character is suddenly a decade or two younger.</p><p></p><p>The producers of <em>Santa Barbara</em> certainly <em>wanted</em> it to be more lush and expensive-looking. The Dobsons (the couple who ran the show in its first few years) were pretty famous names in the soap biz and got some deep-pocketed production companies to back them. They were also responsible for that droll sense of humor at the center of the show. I'd say the original outlay (the sets, wardrobe, hair, etc.) was lavish by daytime standards, but over time they did not continue to spend quite as much because the original outlay had not translated into the ratings they had hoped. After a few years it did not look any "richer" than the others, though their larger studio facilities allowed them to erect larger sets than most other shows who were still taped in small studios from the days of live TV. I'd have to look it up, but I think<em> Sunset Beach</em> taped in <em>Santa Barbara'</em>s former studio.</p><p></p><p>The show was a critical success but never a major ratings draw, since <em>General Hospital</em> was a timeslot competitor in most of the US and sucking up all the oxygen in the room. NBC probably would have cancelled it much sooner if it had not been for all the critical praise the show received (along with Emmy awards). The higher production values was their effort to set themselves apart, but at its center it was produced in much the same way as other soaps of the period. After the Dobsons were fired/locked out the show went through a lot of hiring/firing of producers and writers, but what sticks out the most in my mind is the turnover in actors/characters. They kept hiring actors who were popular in other roles on other soaps, hoping they would bring those fans over to SB. It was hard to keep up.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Daniel Avery, post: 238998, member: 27"] [I]Secret Storm[/I] was probably Donna Mills's first TV gig. From what I've read about the show, it sounds really difficult to follow. As for DJA, I think soaps were in a phase of hiring 'name' actors to give their show buzz and she was there mainly to get people to talk, not carry a lot of story. She eventually got recast with Janis Paige, in one of those rare de-SORASing situations where a character is suddenly a decade or two younger. The producers of [I]Santa Barbara[/I] certainly [I]wanted[/I] it to be more lush and expensive-looking. The Dobsons (the couple who ran the show in its first few years) were pretty famous names in the soap biz and got some deep-pocketed production companies to back them. They were also responsible for that droll sense of humor at the center of the show. I'd say the original outlay (the sets, wardrobe, hair, etc.) was lavish by daytime standards, but over time they did not continue to spend quite as much because the original outlay had not translated into the ratings they had hoped. After a few years it did not look any "richer" than the others, though their larger studio facilities allowed them to erect larger sets than most other shows who were still taped in small studios from the days of live TV. I'd have to look it up, but I think[I] Sunset Beach[/I] taped in [I]Santa Barbara'[/I]s former studio. The show was a critical success but never a major ratings draw, since [I]General Hospital[/I] was a timeslot competitor in most of the US and sucking up all the oxygen in the room. NBC probably would have cancelled it much sooner if it had not been for all the critical praise the show received (along with Emmy awards). The higher production values was their effort to set themselves apart, but at its center it was produced in much the same way as other soaps of the period. After the Dobsons were fired/locked out the show went through a lot of hiring/firing of producers and writers, but what sticks out the most in my mind is the turnover in actors/characters. They kept hiring actors who were popular in other roles on other soaps, hoping they would bring those fans over to SB. It was hard to keep up. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
US Soaps
Daytime Soaps
Santa Barbara
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top