• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

HBO Succession

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I caught HBO's new soapy drama set in the world of a filthy rich media mogul and I liked it. It's giving me Dirty Sexy Money meets Billions vibes (although admittedly, I didn't stick with Billions). Written by Peep Show creator Jesse Armstrong, it follows the story of an 80 year old Murdoch-esque tycoon in the lead up to him handing over the reins of the media empire to one of his children. Kieran Culkin was the scene stealing standout of the pilot for me but it's quite a good cast so there's a lot to like and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

de4ee0b3824cb503fe0b740c17b38de4.jpg

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Saw the 1st episode. It was ok. A bit too many Fs and other overused attitude language. Plus the father was seriously annoying. 2 loser brothers that are hard to take seriously. But at least 6 potentially interesting characters:

Kendall Roy - the one I believe we are meant to root for, right? At least I do. Blindsided by daddy's new agenda. Not the oldest kid, but the only one showing interest in taking over. Understandably outraged for being cast aside.

Kendall's estranged wife - seemed strong and independant. Potential.

Greg the cousin - the comic relief character. The "Jonah from Veep" character.

Mercy Roy - daddy's third wife. Has potential as the strong-willed step-mom.

Siobhan Roy - politically involved, daddy's only daughter, may be drawn into the family business, or forced

Tom - Siobhan's suck-up husband with an agenda to be respected

Last edited:

JROG

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just caught up with the pilot and really enjoyed it. Straight up, good, old-fashioned soapy drama. Glad to hear it's already been renewed. I see a lot of potential. I particularly enjoyed that long family lunch scene/confrontation and Kendall's freakout in the bathroom, after which he cleaned up LOL

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Episode two was great. I loved how we saw all the different facets of the sibling relationships as they were stuck in each others company at the hospital. It was also great to see the realistic absurdity of how much big business impinges on the life of of a mogul and their family, even when they're at death's door. Also, this week we had a mention of that old soap stalwart - the troublesome ex-wife - who was described as "a maniac but not a monster". I look forward to her inevitable arrival.

Also, can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me the name of the actress who played Gerry? She looks super familiar but her character isn't listed on IMDB. She was the blonde member of the board who was setting up the "war room" in the hospital and who Roman had a memorable exchange with about her deceased husband.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Episode two was great. I loved how we saw all the different facets of the sibling relationships as they were stuck in each others company at the hospital. It was also great to see the realistic absurdity of how much big business impinges on the life of of a mogul and their family, even when they're at death's door. Also, this week we had a mention of that old soap stalwart - the troublesome ex-wife - who was described as "a maniac but not a monster". I look forward to her inevitable arrival.

Also, can anyone put me out of my misery and tell me the name of the actress who played Gerry? She looks super familiar but her character isn't listed on IMDB. She was the blonde member of the board who was setting up the "war room" in the hospital and who Roman had a memorable exchange with about her deceased husband.

@Carrie Fairchild, if it´s the woman in the pic below, her name is J. Smith-Cameron. She´s been in such things like "Divorce", "Search Party", and "Rectify" (more here). Oh and don´t thank me: my bill is on your mail! ;)

upload_2018-6-16_22-31-31.jpeg

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Carrie Fairchild, if it´s the woman in the pic below, her name is J. Smith-Cameron. She´s been in such things like "Divorce", "Search Party", and "Rectify" (more here). Oh and don´t thank me: my bill is on your mail! ;)

View attachment 11409

Thanks Toni! I realise now that I recognise her as the Hillary Clinton-esque politician in the second season of Search Party.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I saw episodes 3-5 yesterday. I feel so bad for Kendall. I almost want him to go Carrie White on people. :lol:

What's the deal with cousin Greg? And why is Tom stupid enough to trust Greg? Greg saw the CEO of the competition have a secret park meeting with Stewie who is the new investor for the Roys' company and he keeps that info to himself. Also, copying stuff to keep for himself while on the shredding operation.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Episode 1.6 was terrific!! I can't wait to see the fall-out. Hurry up, next episode!!!

I read that this series is loosly based on Rupert Murdoch, his empire & kids (first post by @Carrie Fairchild and then a quick Google search). That would make Connor Roy the Lachlan Murdoch.

I wonder when we will get to see the Roy childrens' mothers, especially ex-wife no.2, mother of Kendall, Shiv & Roman. Will she be an Alexis Colby type?

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Episode 1.6 was terrific!! I can't wait to see the fall-out. Hurry up, next episode!!!

I read that this series is loosly based on Rupert Murdoch, his empire & kids (first post by @Carrie Fairchild and then a quick Google search). That would make Connor Roy the Lachlan Murdoch.

I wonder when we will get to see the Roy childrens' mothers, especially ex-wife no.2, mother of Kendall, Shiv & Roman. Will she be an Alexis Colby type?

Ex-wife no.2 has gotten a couple of mentions now so I'm guessing she'll make an appearance at Shiv's wedding, should that actually go ahead. I may have picked it up wrong but I think Shiv mentioned that she lived in England. As it stands, I imagine she'll be a guest character rather than a long term role. There was no mention of her during the attempted coup at the board meeting so I'm guessing she has no stake in the Roy's empire any longer. Without being embroiled in their business affairs, I'm not sure how she'd prove to be much of a thorn in Logan's side, unless of course she starts an Alexis style vendetta against Marcy.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ex-wife no.2 has gotten a couple of mentions now so I'm guessing she'll make an appearance at Shiv's wedding, should that actually go ahead. I may have picked it up wrong but I think Shiv mentioned that she lived in England. As it stands, I imagine she'll be a guest character rather than a long term role. There was no mention of her during the attempted coup at the board meeting so I'm guessing she has no stake in the Roy's empire any longer. Without being embroiled in their business affairs, I'm not sure how she'd prove to be much of a thorn in Logan's side, unless of course she starts an Alexis style vendetta against Marcy.

Yes, it was mentioned that she lives in England. Maybe there's a reason why she doesn't live in the US? Maybe she didn't get a fair settlement in the divorce? Maybe she was a bad mother who will stir up old feelings & resentment? Maybe she's remarried a horrible type or business rival? Maybe she holds a grudge and decides to help one or all her children against Logan? Possibilities are endless.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, it was mentioned that she lives in England. Maybe there's a reason why she doesn't live in the US? Maybe she didn't get a fair settlement in the divorce? Maybe she was a bad mother who will stir up old feelings & resentment? Maybe she's remarried a horrible type or business rival? Maybe she holds a grudge and decides to help one or all her children against Logan? Possibilities are endless.

Of course, there's a million and one ex-wife tropes that could play out. I just think there's so much more to be explored with the existing characters and because so much of the drama currently circles around the business skulduggery, that it'll be a while before they add another big character to the canvas like a vengeful ex-wife. At least not on a full time basis for now.

I've just checked the upcoming episode synopses and she makes her first appearance in episode nine - The Roys assemble at Eastnor Castle in England to prepare for Shiv and Tom’s wedding. The children reunite with their mother, Caroline, who is every bit as acerbic as Logan. As guests mingle and clash, Kendall learns from Stewy and Sandy that their plot for a hostile takeover of Waystar has been fast-tracked in order to catch Logan off-guard.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Mommie Dearest is going to be played by renowned stage actress Dame Harriet Walter. She's listed for the last two episodes of the season as Lady Caroline Collingwood. She's a familiar face on UK TV but international audiences may know her most recently as Clementine Churchill on The Crown.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

Here´s the Lady (though I doubt she´ll adopt this look...)​

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
End of season 1. I am so glad this show will return, especially with the the 2 last episodes of season 1.

I just knew something would happen with Kendall that would prevent him from going through with the take-over. The series needs the family company to be owned by the family or there would be nothing more to keep them together. It's not exactly like they adore each other and love to hang out. I thought Kendall would take an overdose, but the car accident that killed the waiter was better. Then Kendall has a strong reason to back off. He tried to save the waiter and when he couldn't, he looked very guilty. He was about to crack at any minute when Logan "saved the day". Not that Kendall was directly responsible - it was the waiter that grabbed the wheels and made them crash into the lake. It was an accident. Had they hit the deer, they would probably both have survived (except the poor deer).

Somewhere deep inside, I do think Logan loves his children. But I think the main reason he had for covering up for Kendall was to save his company. He was laying it on a bit too think when he told Kendall that "you are my favorite son". Although the competition is seriously weak... Connor is jumping on clouds in lala-land and Roman fails at everything. This was the second time that Logan showed some concern about Kendall, the first being when he asked Greg to follow Kendall around to make sure he didn't end up overdosing. So there might still be some hope for Logan to grow a heart, even though he completely lacks conscience.

So the company stays in Logan's hands and Kendall goes off into the desert to sober up. I do have to wonder, considering how horrible he felt over the waiters death, if he can keep sober? Or will he feel guilty for a long time and continue with the drugs to numb himself? IMO, he shouldn't feel too guilty. The accident was mostly caused by the waiter himself, and Kendall did try to save him. It's the lies afterwards that may keep him feeling guilty.

Roman's fiasco was hilarious! Rushing the launch and then the rocket exploded on him. I really enjoyed that scene, as he tried pretending that everything was fine. Meanwhile, Connor running for president?? Too funny! Is he inhaling any toxins on his farm?

Shiv and Tom are now married, and I have to wonder how long Tom will be able to take things. He is like a lost puppy, doing everything for Shiv and her family, yet feeling that he's going against his principles. Now even accepting an open marriage. Not to mention incriminating himself to get rid of evidence of foul play at the Roy's company. If only he didn't enjoy power so much.

Then there is Greg, and I think he is a total snake in disguise. He's got so much dirt on others now that he could blackmail anyone of them. And what will he do with all those copies he saved of the papers Tom told him to shred? With Kendall no longer in the running for CEO, how will he use what he's got?

I liked the mother and Logan's ex-wife. I hope we get to see more of her some time. A bit passive-aggressive, but probably a better parent than Logan.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This show is quickly becoming an addiction. The characters are so incredibly unlovable that they become likeable. No one's happy, even though they walk around like they were. Except for Kendall, the walking depression. The dinner party with the Pierce family was amazing.

Succession won the Emmy for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series, and should have won Best Series as well. But the jury chickened out and gave it to GoT for one final hurrah. Well, considering Succession's second season is equally as delicious as the first, then I'd say they have a good chance of winning Best Series next year.