LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
As I did with a few scores of "Dallas", "Knots Landing" and "Falcon Crest", here is my new Playlist for the best scores of "Dynasty", starting with the Pilot score composed by Bill Conti. The sound quality is not as good as I wished, but I tried my best and I hope you enjoy them. After this one I will be posting also today a compilation of the season cliffhanger themes. I hope you enjoy them since we can´t have the original recordings or special re-recordings. Believe or not, YouTube blocked it immediately "globally" and I uploaded it again to Dailymotion, this time.

@Philipe, @Michael Torrance, @Grant Jennings, @Matthew Blaisdel, @colbyco, @Snarky's Ghost

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here is the Suite for the "Dynasty" Cliffhangers:

LV

Reaction score
Awards
And voilà another score for a single episode, Season 1´s "Fallon´s Wedding", by Mark Snow (then of "X-Files" fame). A very important remark: This recording and the ones that will follow were uploaded long ago by a "Dynasty" fan whose name I can't remember, to some kind of website. I intend to credit him (or her) if I do find him, since he probably comes around here. By now, here are the "Dynascores"...

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Happy summer to everybody! Voilà my newest sample of "Dynasty" music, this time for 2 Season 1 episodes scored by Peter Myers: "The Honeymoon" and "The Separation". As previously, there are sound effects in order to offer the most complete version of the cues. If you are interested in listening to the score videos posted until now, follow the second link!

Sparkly Ornaments

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
Douglas Cramer, Sith Lord of the Denver clan, swooned in an interview that DYNASTY had about 40 minutes of music per episode while DALLAS had roughly half that much -- like that was a bragging point. So Cramer may have been the guilty culprit here -- I seriously wonder whether he's also the one who'd recommended and implemented the most devastating DYNASTY convention of them all: the static acting directive.

The score went into overdrive as Season 2 progressed, but then, because the show was still so tight and focused, Ben Lanzerone's frenetic score kind of worked (but wouldn't when it was dragged up later in the series' run -- even as late as Season 5!)'

The intention of the rambling wood-windy scores, which told their own story separate from the dialogue they were drowning out, seemed to be to evoke an Old Hollywood sensibility from the late-'30s which even Old Hollywood dropped by the '40s.

Its effect was reductive, causing the florid dialogue, delivered via the sieve of S.A.D., to cause DYNASTY to feel even more disoriented than it even had to.

More to the point, there were some good scores from good composers on DYNASTY, but much of it was spewed out as filler-score which did more to undermine the drama than almost anything.

We needed oboe, spinet, piano, acoustic guitar, cello, trumpet (occasionally) and harp... And that's rarely what we got.

Cherubic evil...

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for your insightful comments on the score. 40 minutes of music, oh yeah. I had to swear to compile 7 or 8 without dialogues... It seems that Mr. Cramer was the Michael Filerman of "Dynasty".

Sparkly Ornaments

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
Thanks for your insightful comments on the score. 40 minutes of music, oh yeah. I had to swear to compile 7 or 8 without dialogues... It seems that Mr. Cramer was the Michael Filerman of "Dynasty".

Although Filerman and Aaron Spelling were both Sun in Turus/Moon in Cancer.

I've said before that all good soaps need a Sun in Virgo/Moon in Capricorn near its evil center -- DALLAS had four of them. But that's on camera... unfortunately, DYNASTY's was behind the camera (Cramer).

LV

Reaction score
Awards
TPTB (=CBS no less, how ironic that those who brought us "Dallas" now own "Dynasty"!) has blocked the latest score video. Obviously, it didn´t matter that I used only stills and badly-recorded cues in it. So I re-uploaded it, this time on "that other site". They will ask you for the password, which is the character Joan Collins played on "Dynasty" (oh I´m just so great when I talk subtly...).

Last edited: