Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 224119" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>The final 1978 special felt a little anticlimactic in a number of ways.</p><p></p><p>The big plane sequences were enjoyable, but quite prolonged and they felt too impersonal. All other stunts have been most impressive because one can see Crawford getting stuck into them whereas in these, even if he were flying the plane himself (which I don't think he was) there's no way of knowing that. It could have been second unit for all I know. The better scenes were earlier in the episode where he first put Biggins off his flying lesson (Biggins's second episode - he was earlier in the team building episode where he got covered in food at least once) and then returned to sign up for his lesson, complete with his excited "I need a wee" kind of leg movement ("Cramp, is it?", asked the instructor. "No. Spencer" was Frank's reply).</p><p></p><p>The malapropisms wore a little old for me. They seemed to appear quite suddenly in Series Three and so felt slightly out of character to me. Likewise, his singing to Jessica - which reappeared in this last episode - felt more Michael Crawford than Frank Spencer, even though it was very charming to see Michael Crawford singing and keeping a connection with the child.</p><p></p><p>I noticed most Series Three episodes were "based on material provided by Michael Crawford" or some such wording. So I'm guessing he had far more input by this time.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I don't mind the "life goes on" endings of many sitcoms of the era and since, but with such tight continuity in many episodes, I felt the lack of a proper ending was a little disappointing.</p><p></p><p>Still - overall, <em>Some Mothers...</em> was a consistently enjoyable series.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 224119, member: 23"] The final 1978 special felt a little anticlimactic in a number of ways. The big plane sequences were enjoyable, but quite prolonged and they felt too impersonal. All other stunts have been most impressive because one can see Crawford getting stuck into them whereas in these, even if he were flying the plane himself (which I don't think he was) there's no way of knowing that. It could have been second unit for all I know. The better scenes were earlier in the episode where he first put Biggins off his flying lesson (Biggins's second episode - he was earlier in the team building episode where he got covered in food at least once) and then returned to sign up for his lesson, complete with his excited "I need a wee" kind of leg movement ("Cramp, is it?", asked the instructor. "No. Spencer" was Frank's reply). The malapropisms wore a little old for me. They seemed to appear quite suddenly in Series Three and so felt slightly out of character to me. Likewise, his singing to Jessica - which reappeared in this last episode - felt more Michael Crawford than Frank Spencer, even though it was very charming to see Michael Crawford singing and keeping a connection with the child. I noticed most Series Three episodes were "based on material provided by Michael Crawford" or some such wording. So I'm guessing he had far more input by this time. I don't mind the "life goes on" endings of many sitcoms of the era and since, but with such tight continuity in many episodes, I felt the lack of a proper ending was a little disappointing. Still - overall, [I]Some Mothers...[/I] was a consistently enjoyable series. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top