Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 240700" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Another three episodes down and I'm still undecided on the writing. The series is funny, and the material is impeccably delivered. But some of it feels a little cheap throwaway. Not quite as clever as it should be. And some lines really do feel they've been recycled from <em>Will & Grace </em>and the like. I'm also not a fan of the shits and similarly colourful language. They can only ever get cheap laughs. </p><p></p><p>One aspect that really brings the series down for me are the segues being accompanied by loud stings which are filtered samples of <em>Never Can Say Goodbye</em>. They seem to come every few minutes, and make it feel like watching a Saturday morning kids' show. Apart from being intrusive and annoying, they also draw attention to the fact that most of the scenes are quite short. This aspect really does feel like it's aimed at the attention deficit.</p><p></p><p>That said, I'm finding sitting down to spend time with the two Sirs very comforting. The sets have become very familiar already, as have the running gags about their elderly unseen dog and Stuart's elderly unseen mother. And the little catchphrases ("You remember our friend Violet").</p><p></p><p>The casting is spot-on, and I like everyone in the main cast, which is huge. So despite my reservations , it's still very watchable and quite funny.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 240700, member: 23"] Another three episodes down and I'm still undecided on the writing. The series is funny, and the material is impeccably delivered. But some of it feels a little cheap throwaway. Not quite as clever as it should be. And some lines really do feel they've been recycled from [I]Will & Grace [/I]and the like. I'm also not a fan of the shits and similarly colourful language. They can only ever get cheap laughs. One aspect that really brings the series down for me are the segues being accompanied by loud stings which are filtered samples of [I]Never Can Say Goodbye[/I]. They seem to come every few minutes, and make it feel like watching a Saturday morning kids' show. Apart from being intrusive and annoying, they also draw attention to the fact that most of the scenes are quite short. This aspect really does feel like it's aimed at the attention deficit. That said, I'm finding sitting down to spend time with the two Sirs very comforting. The sets have become very familiar already, as have the running gags about their elderly unseen dog and Stuart's elderly unseen mother. And the little catchphrases ("You remember our friend Violet"). The casting is spot-on, and I like everyone in the main cast, which is huge. So despite my reservations , it's still very watchable and quite funny. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top