Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 241027" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>It seems that every post I make about <em>Vicious</em> is going to be more of the same. Nice premise. Endearing characters. Wonderful actors. Sub-par writing.</p><p></p><p>I've now watched through to the last-but-one episode. Or technically (since the finale is nowhere to be seen) the last-but-one-but-one. It's very easy to understand why the series ended when it did.</p><p></p><p>The reliance on the f**ks and shits is increasing. Mason and Penelope are now getting in on the swearing, which became very old very quickly. Is it meant to be edgy? Shocking? Outrageous? It's none of these, though might have been had it aired three decades earlier when alternative comedy was a thing. Even then it failed to hit the mark of being funny much of the time.</p><p></p><p>Having noticed them, I'm now hyper aware of the Americanisms that pepper the dialogue (some of which might be contemporary British, but it amounts to the same thing). Characters "get mad" and have "fights". Or they are "excited for" their dance class. The most unforgivable example came in a flashback to the couple moving into their flat (or is it apartment?). Young Stuart had offered to get Young Freddie a cuppa. A short time later, Young Freddie pointed out he was "still waiting on that tea". This is in early Sixties Britain.</p><p></p><p>Shark jumped, I'm now quite keen for the series to end and not too bothered at all that the final special is nowhere to be found.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 241027, member: 23"] It seems that every post I make about [I]Vicious[/I] is going to be more of the same. Nice premise. Endearing characters. Wonderful actors. Sub-par writing. I've now watched through to the last-but-one episode. Or technically (since the finale is nowhere to be seen) the last-but-one-but-one. It's very easy to understand why the series ended when it did. The reliance on the f**ks and shits is increasing. Mason and Penelope are now getting in on the swearing, which became very old very quickly. Is it meant to be edgy? Shocking? Outrageous? It's none of these, though might have been had it aired three decades earlier when alternative comedy was a thing. Even then it failed to hit the mark of being funny much of the time. Having noticed them, I'm now hyper aware of the Americanisms that pepper the dialogue (some of which might be contemporary British, but it amounts to the same thing). Characters "get mad" and have "fights". Or they are "excited for" their dance class. The most unforgivable example came in a flashback to the couple moving into their flat (or is it apartment?). Young Stuart had offered to get Young Freddie a cuppa. A short time later, Young Freddie pointed out he was "still waiting on that tea". This is in early Sixties Britain. Shark jumped, I'm now quite keen for the series to end and not too bothered at all that the final special is nowhere to be found. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top