Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Angela Chilling" data-source="post: 241036" data-attributes="member: 33"><p>I never really noticed the Americanism in <em>Vicious </em>but maybe I'm become immune to it after years of watching American TV shows but the examples you gave would have annoyed me had I noticed them.</p><p></p><p>Where I felt the series failed was that there was little light and shade in the relationship between the 2 main characters. They were little more than 2 camp, acerbic gay stereotypes who were just nasty to each other and rarely showed any affection to each other so I couldn't help thinking why are they still together putting up with this? As a premise for humour, it's funny for maybe one episode but the novelty of seeing 2 giants of the British acting community behaving in this way wore off very quickly.</p><p></p><p>In some ways the show reminded me of George and Mildred because they were another couple who constantly threw insults at each other but the difference with the Ropers is that you always felt they had a underlying fondness, if not love, for each other but I never felt that with Freddie and Stuart. As I couldn't accept their relationship as being realistic I found it hard to warm to this sitcom and that's before I take into account the old fashioned staging and filming of the show and the dire scripts.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Angela Chilling, post: 241036, member: 33"] I never really noticed the Americanism in [I]Vicious [/I]but maybe I'm become immune to it after years of watching American TV shows but the examples you gave would have annoyed me had I noticed them. Where I felt the series failed was that there was little light and shade in the relationship between the 2 main characters. They were little more than 2 camp, acerbic gay stereotypes who were just nasty to each other and rarely showed any affection to each other so I couldn't help thinking why are they still together putting up with this? As a premise for humour, it's funny for maybe one episode but the novelty of seeing 2 giants of the British acting community behaving in this way wore off very quickly. In some ways the show reminded me of George and Mildred because they were another couple who constantly threw insults at each other but the difference with the Ropers is that you always felt they had a underlying fondness, if not love, for each other but I never felt that with Freddie and Stuart. As I couldn't accept their relationship as being realistic I found it hard to warm to this sitcom and that's before I take into account the old fashioned staging and filming of the show and the dire scripts. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
6 + 4 =
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top