Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 241042" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>I'm possibly over-sensitised to it since I rarely watch American TV these days. It was a conscious choice I made a few years ago, based on my one of my bugbears about British culture and language imitating and becoming entrenched in American at the expense of our own. It's a long story, and perhaps a completely different topic, but long story short, I've enjoyed the experiment enough for it to have become a way of life. The occasional American film is about it for me. And I still listen to a lot of American music. But I'd struggle to commit to an ongoing series.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes, I agree. I have known couples - gay and heterosexual - who have very spiky and tempestuous relationships, and who seem to disagree about more than they agree. And some have been very long term indeed. Perhaps based on the premise that it's "better the devil you know than the devil you don't". But I've always assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that they're kinder to one another in private and find some way of connecting. Stuart and Freddie can be so extreme and relentless in their insults - even when nobody else is around - that it's difficult to understand why they stay.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>George and Mildred was one of my first impressions of the dynamic. I have seen some underlying fondness for one another in Freddie and Stuart's relationship, and I like those moments. I can also appreciate that Stuart finds it difficult to be demonstrative. Freddie standing up to Stuart's mother was a nice example. He spoke <em>about</em> Stuart in a way that he couldn't speak <em>to</em> him. But all the same, the extremes of nastiness they go to can leave a bitter taste.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>I must confess the old-fashioned staging is an appeal for me. It feels right for these actors and characters, though the series has never quite lived up to the play-like quality that the sets and actors would suggest.</p><p></p><p>I wholeheartedly agree about the scripts. Much of my disappointment with this series has come from the wasted potential given the incredible cast.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 241042, member: 23"] I'm possibly over-sensitised to it since I rarely watch American TV these days. It was a conscious choice I made a few years ago, based on my one of my bugbears about British culture and language imitating and becoming entrenched in American at the expense of our own. It's a long story, and perhaps a completely different topic, but long story short, I've enjoyed the experiment enough for it to have become a way of life. The occasional American film is about it for me. And I still listen to a lot of American music. But I'd struggle to commit to an ongoing series. Yes, I agree. I have known couples - gay and heterosexual - who have very spiky and tempestuous relationships, and who seem to disagree about more than they agree. And some have been very long term indeed. Perhaps based on the premise that it's "better the devil you know than the devil you don't". But I've always assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that they're kinder to one another in private and find some way of connecting. Stuart and Freddie can be so extreme and relentless in their insults - even when nobody else is around - that it's difficult to understand why they stay. George and Mildred was one of my first impressions of the dynamic. I have seen some underlying fondness for one another in Freddie and Stuart's relationship, and I like those moments. I can also appreciate that Stuart finds it difficult to be demonstrative. Freddie standing up to Stuart's mother was a nice example. He spoke [I]about[/I] Stuart in a way that he couldn't speak [I]to[/I] him. But all the same, the extremes of nastiness they go to can leave a bitter taste. I must confess the old-fashioned staging is an appeal for me. It feels right for these actors and characters, though the series has never quite lived up to the play-like quality that the sets and actors would suggest. I wholeheartedly agree about the scripts. Much of my disappointment with this series has come from the wasted potential given the incredible cast. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top