Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 305017" data-attributes="member: 23"><p><em>Hark At Barker</em> is proving a very easily digested little gem. I've now finished Series One. </p><p></p><p>It's an innovative idea, especially by 1969 standards, to have some fairly random - and occasionally surreal - sketches linked by the main Lord Rustless scenes. The supporting cast for the "sitcom" are great. Josephine Tewson and Frank Gatliffe remain as reliable as ever. Even Mary Baxter as the toothless cook with a permanent scowl has won me over. </p><p></p><p>David Jason has also feature as Dithers the ancient gardener. I know it's British comedy sacrilege to say this but I'm not a fan of his at all, which is a shame as he's had some great series over the years. There are some roles in which I find him tolerable while others are a trial (and there are a number I simply avoid altogether). Fortunately, Dithers falls into the tolerable category, helped by the fact that he doesn't speak actual words, but occasional mumbled gibberish. </p><p></p><p>Ronnie Corbett has had small roles in a couple of the sketches, so it's nice for me to have that (reverse) continuity from <em>The Two Ronnies</em>. Other familiar names and faces throughout Series One have belonged to Michael Palin, Pauline Yates (that's Reginald Perrin's wife. Not to be mistaken for Bob Geldof's wife) and Valerie Leon among others. </p><p></p><p>I feel more excited than I'd care to admit at the prospect of watching Rustless & co. in colour for Series Two.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 305017, member: 23"] [I]Hark At Barker[/I] is proving a very easily digested little gem. I've now finished Series One. It's an innovative idea, especially by 1969 standards, to have some fairly random - and occasionally surreal - sketches linked by the main Lord Rustless scenes. The supporting cast for the "sitcom" are great. Josephine Tewson and Frank Gatliffe remain as reliable as ever. Even Mary Baxter as the toothless cook with a permanent scowl has won me over. David Jason has also feature as Dithers the ancient gardener. I know it's British comedy sacrilege to say this but I'm not a fan of his at all, which is a shame as he's had some great series over the years. There are some roles in which I find him tolerable while others are a trial (and there are a number I simply avoid altogether). Fortunately, Dithers falls into the tolerable category, helped by the fact that he doesn't speak actual words, but occasional mumbled gibberish. Ronnie Corbett has had small roles in a couple of the sketches, so it's nice for me to have that (reverse) continuity from [I]The Two Ronnies[/I]. Other familiar names and faces throughout Series One have belonged to Michael Palin, Pauline Yates (that's Reginald Perrin's wife. Not to be mistaken for Bob Geldof's wife) and Valerie Leon among others. I feel more excited than I'd care to admit at the prospect of watching Rustless & co. in colour for Series Two. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played JR Ewing?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top