Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 305560" data-attributes="member: 23"><p><strong>Six Dates With Barker</strong></p><p><strong><em>1915: Lola</em></strong></p><p></p><p><em>The Removals Person </em>aside, if any of the episodes had potential to become an ongoing series it's <em>Lola</em>. After a slow start this quickly turns into a promising little farce. The premise: during The Great War, Barker's German officer Fritz Braun is ordered to be shot for failing on a mission. The officer doing the shooting happens to be his brother-in-law, so the death is faked and Braun disguises himself as female agent Lola who herself had been recently captured and killed by the enemy. Lola is then sent on a mission to Paris by the Germans (who secretly know Lola is actually Braun). Wires are crossed. Hilarity ensues.</p><p></p><p>As I said last time I watched this (probably on the old site, pre-crash), this entire episode feels very much like a dry run for <em>'Allo 'Allo.</em> The tone is very similar indeed. Then there's the wartime setting in occupied France. The silly accents to define who is speaking what language (while the actors all speak in English). The wacky characters and situations. Heck - at one point there's even a secret message hidden in a sausage.</p><p></p><p>Barker is always brilliant at drag and has some nice sassy moments. The tongue's firmly in the cheek, the eyes flash and it's plain he's having a good time. This episode takes it to the next level. At one point, "Lola" disguises herself as a man, so you have Barker playing a man masquerading as a woman disguised as a man. It's certainly out there.</p><p></p><p>By episode's end I really felt a sense that this could have gone on and on. In the best possible way.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 305560, member: 23"] [B]Six Dates With Barker [I]1915: Lola[/I][/B] [I]The Removals Person [/I]aside, if any of the episodes had potential to become an ongoing series it's [I]Lola[/I]. After a slow start this quickly turns into a promising little farce. The premise: during The Great War, Barker's German officer Fritz Braun is ordered to be shot for failing on a mission. The officer doing the shooting happens to be his brother-in-law, so the death is faked and Braun disguises himself as female agent Lola who herself had been recently captured and killed by the enemy. Lola is then sent on a mission to Paris by the Germans (who secretly know Lola is actually Braun). Wires are crossed. Hilarity ensues. As I said last time I watched this (probably on the old site, pre-crash), this entire episode feels very much like a dry run for [I]'Allo 'Allo.[/I] The tone is very similar indeed. Then there's the wartime setting in occupied France. The silly accents to define who is speaking what language (while the actors all speak in English). The wacky characters and situations. Heck - at one point there's even a secret message hidden in a sausage. Barker is always brilliant at drag and has some nice sassy moments. The tongue's firmly in the cheek, the eyes flash and it's plain he's having a good time. This episode takes it to the next level. At one point, "Lola" disguises herself as a man, so you have Barker playing a man masquerading as a woman disguised as a man. It's certainly out there. By episode's end I really felt a sense that this could have gone on and on. In the best possible way. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top