Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Angela Chilling" data-source="post: 379452" data-attributes="member: 33"><p>That's interesting because my earliest recollection of the show was when it was broadcast at 7pm on Fridays. That was almost certainly a repeat screening of the series because I would have been too young for the original broadcast. Although I'm sure I watched it, I have no memory of any episode. I've seen the films many times as they are often shown on TV.</p><p></p><p></p><p>This comes as a complete surprise to me as I was totally unaware that another actor had originated the role of Stan and Olive's mother.</p><p></p><p></p><p>I quite like Reg Varney, I thought he was good in the film <em>The Best Pair of Legs In The Business</em> (1973), but he was clearly too old for the role of Stan. I do wonder whether the part was written for a younger actor but the producers decided to go with Reg Varney because they wanted a high profile actor in the role. Stan was single, living at home with his mum, horny as a teenager and chasing after young women (or at least that was how he was in the films) which would have been far more believable with an actor in his early 20s rather than the middle-aged Reg Varney.</p><p></p><p></p><p>I think the first <em>On The Buses</em> film is one of the best big screen versions of a British sitcom that were made in the 1970s.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Angela Chilling, post: 379452, member: 33"] That's interesting because my earliest recollection of the show was when it was broadcast at 7pm on Fridays. That was almost certainly a repeat screening of the series because I would have been too young for the original broadcast. Although I'm sure I watched it, I have no memory of any episode. I've seen the films many times as they are often shown on TV. This comes as a complete surprise to me as I was totally unaware that another actor had originated the role of Stan and Olive's mother. I quite like Reg Varney, I thought he was good in the film [I]The Best Pair of Legs In The Business[/I] (1973), but he was clearly too old for the role of Stan. I do wonder whether the part was written for a younger actor but the producers decided to go with Reg Varney because they wanted a high profile actor in the role. Stan was single, living at home with his mum, horny as a teenager and chasing after young women (or at least that was how he was in the films) which would have been far more believable with an actor in his early 20s rather than the middle-aged Reg Varney. I think the first [I]On The Buses[/I] film is one of the best big screen versions of a British sitcom that were made in the 1970s. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top