Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 379517" data-attributes="member: 23"><p>Those dates would have been when they were released in cinemas. I'd imagine they wouldn't have premiered on TV for another four, five years or even six years after cinema release, which was fairly standard back then. This would put their TV premieres between 1976 and 1979 (ish), which might make it more possible for you to have seen one or two of them when they made their TV debut.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Yes, that's understandable. How you view the series of <em>On The Buses</em> is probably similar to how I look at the 1975 <em>Carry On Laughing</em> series that was made for TV. I eventually discovered it on DVD after I was already very familiar with the films, and so the low budget, lack of location work and abundant studio laughter makes it feel very much an inferior product.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>The films were made by Hammer, who really knew their stuff when it came to filmmaking. Looking at their filmography, <em>On The Buses</em> seems to be their first adaption from a sitcom, and they must have got a taste for it looking at their 1970s output. I suppose the <em>OTB</em> film being the #2 film for 1971 made them realise there was a huge market ready to tap.</p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p></p><p>Oh yes. Now you mention it, I can see exactly why you'd have drawn parallels with that dynamic.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 379517, member: 23"] Those dates would have been when they were released in cinemas. I'd imagine they wouldn't have premiered on TV for another four, five years or even six years after cinema release, which was fairly standard back then. This would put their TV premieres between 1976 and 1979 (ish), which might make it more possible for you to have seen one or two of them when they made their TV debut. Yes, that's understandable. How you view the series of [I]On The Buses[/I] is probably similar to how I look at the 1975 [I]Carry On Laughing[/I] series that was made for TV. I eventually discovered it on DVD after I was already very familiar with the films, and so the low budget, lack of location work and abundant studio laughter makes it feel very much an inferior product. The films were made by Hammer, who really knew their stuff when it came to filmmaking. Looking at their filmography, [I]On The Buses[/I] seems to be their first adaption from a sitcom, and they must have got a taste for it looking at their 1970s output. I suppose the [I]OTB[/I] film being the #2 film for 1971 made them realise there was a huge market ready to tap. Oh yes. Now you mention it, I can see exactly why you'd have drawn parallels with that dynamic. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Global Telly Talk
Classic UK TV
The Great British Sitcom
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top