The Mysterious era: 1964-1978

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I kinda remember most of what I wrote in the original posting on the old forum, so please bear with me, this was my favourite post and a number of people liked it too, so I thought I'd revive for Snarky....ahem...I mean UnPrincipled especially ;-) so I am going to write it again and add some more thoughts, forgive me it's not in its entirety, I may save posts into notes in future.

As I remember saying Dynasty, like the 80s overall, had an obsession with the 1950s-60s era
Even though that those two decades are so completely different from each other they may as well be in different planets, after all the year 1951 has nothing in common with the year 1968 so I'm going to narrow this down to the years 1955-1964, the 70s on the other hand where completely ignored during that period in time (the years 1970-74 was sort of nostalgic in the mid to late 80s probably due to the fact that it was still "the sixties" albeit an extended bit) and similarily Dynasty also ignored the 70s, Dynasty never once explained anything that might've happened from the time Alexis was banished from Denver in 1964 to when Krystle arrived in 1978, just two and a bit years before she married Blake.

We know that Kirby left Denver for France in the mid 70s, it seems that she was gone away for some years before her return in 1982, but aside from this nothing.

Blake can't have been a lonely batchelor for 14 years and grieving the loss of his marriage to Alexis, early Blake was brusque in his manner and he rose above things.

Interestingly in season 9 Fallon mentions to Krystle that she alone brought them more closer as a family than they ever could have, this statement means to me that Blake hardly ever saw his children when they were teenagers.

So what could Blake have been doing all those years before Krystle?

Someone mentioned on the old forum that Blake and Alexis marriage matched an idealised time in America's history as they were married roughly around the Americana years, again I place this era to be mid 1950s to Kennedy's assassination/aftermath in 1963-64 when after that the sixties really "began".

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I wish I could find my post(s) from that thread in particular. I seem to like the backstory discussion threads the most.

BUMPER.jpg
christmascornucopia.jpg

aaewingssouthfork.jpg

misselliesnow.jpg

krystleblakealexis1963_2.jpg

View attachment 49969

SFsunset2.jpg

dallas45years.jpg

Southfork-Ranch-sunset.jpg

cedarabbey_siggy.jpg

Last edited:

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The backstory is so interesting especially since we know virtually nothing about Dynasty's past as its so vague, we are reminded of a glorious past every other episode in Dallas and Falcon Crest via JR and Angela, KL was sort of tied in with Dallas but even then we see flashbacks to Gary and Vals past and the Fairgates in the 60s.

Dynasty never provided us viewers with this, partly because it's so inconsistent and is fixated on one period in time: 1955-1964 nothing really from before 1955 and nothing from 1964-78.

At the same time however each era of Dynasty seems to pay homage or encapsulate a distant past era
Seasons 1-2 was very Roaring 20s, season 4 was gothic 40s and season 6/The Colby's came off like a camp 60s melodrama.

This is why I, like many others on here love season 9 as it does delve into the Carringtons history, properly, and not slap dashed, I also like to think that had season 10 gone ahead the mystery
Woman in the limo would've been a woman whom Blake was involved with in secret probably after Alexis left, but way before Krystle's time in Denver, someone who Fallon wouldn't remember much as she was away in Europe and the East Coast for at least half of a dozen of those years.

Last edited: