The Politician

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Oh my! This is really, really good.
In a clever and surprising way it shows how a story can blur the line between genuine and fake, between comedy and drama, between a great and awful cover version of a Joni Mitchell song.

It's slick, but not cookie-cutter slick.
And of course there's the Pierre et Gilles-esque, too beautiful to be true imagery that the creators of AHS seem to love.

I didn't like POSE (too much preaching to the choir), but I very much enjoyed watching the first episode of this new series.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's not my normal kind of viewing however a review here in Oz had me intrigued so I optioned a watch. It nearly borders on absurdity but Ryan Murphy manages to keep it from ever reaching that point. I'm 2½ episodes in until Netflix decided to have a hissy fit and shut down. So far the stand out performances are Ben Platt who happens to be a dead ringer to a bloke I use to work with and David Corenswet. Now if Dallas is ever to receive another lifeline as a continuation then look no further then David to play the role of Lucas Krebbs/Ewing.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
watch it.
I've just finished watching the first season. This series really surprised me. You'd think it was going to be another teenage angst series but the stellar performances from Jessica Lange and Gwyneth Paltrow keep it grounded. If Ben Platt doesn't receive awards for his role I'll be stunned.

And what a treat to see the Divine Miss M (Bette Midler) and Judith Light appear. From their opening scene these two broads have chemistry. I wasn't sure where Ryan Murphy was taking me since it suddenly felt like a completely new series. Not to worry as it came to a very satisfying conclusion....and wanting more.

Score: 8/10 :)

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched this over the weekend. Jessica Lange, Judith Light & Bette Midler were fantastic in it. And the last episode was a perfect set up for the second season. And River was such a sweetheart, what a nice guy who died way too early. :love5:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And River was such a sweetheart
I think they wanted us to fall in love with River. Well, it worked.
And the last episode was a perfect set up for the second season
Great! (I've only watched 4 episodes, due to other soap commitments).

Edie70

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Willie Oleson You need to watch it as soon as possible. Episode 5 was also very good and truthful although a little bit different.

David Corenswet who played River is already cast on another show produced by Ryan Murphy. It's called "Hollywood" and comes out next spring on Netflix.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And the last episode was a perfect set up for the second season
Netflix must have had confidence in the project because they commissioned two seasons straight up. Cannot wait to see more of Bette Midler and Judith Light together. I think David Corenswet will be the break out star from this. I also read about the other Ryan Murphy project Hollywood.....I'm intrigued.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Tomorrow's news: David Corenswet comes out of the closet...

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
blur the line between genuine and fake, between comedy and drama, between a great and awful cover version of a Joni Mitchell song.
The blurring had stopped long before episode 4, episode 5 was...???? and the last 3 episodes were...
It's slick, but not cookie-cutter slick.
...very cookie-cutter "Desperate Housewives" slick. Not even Judith Light could save this.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's back...
After a long week at work Netflix surprised me with the return season of Season 2. I've watched the first 2 episodes and so far I'm still enjoying it. Careful Ryan Murphy as you may allow those grand old Dames, Bette Midler and Judith Light to steel the series.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And thank God Murphy they stole it: Judith Light and Bette Midler. That was my hope for Season 1 because the younger adults act too often with different characters in short scenes or mini-story arcs that I didn't care for. Despite the men coming out of Dede's bed these women stick together, their dialogues go deeper and they have real common backgrounds, that helps a lot. Because who wants to see such corrupt young rich people discussing their past? Except for some Instagram followers maybe...

Still I think some mistakes of Season 1 continue: this could have been done in just four episodes, too much filler, information retelling (that bingers don't need) and drawn out stories as the election day plus result. Payton's team is diverse but I don't see a character development as with Payton (as small as it is) or even his mother.

Last edited:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
After finishing this season I agree with the above sentiment. The season could do with some tightening up; both with story and characters. The story playing out in New York and California felt like two different worlds. Otherwise I still enjoyed it.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The story playing out in New York and California felt like two different worlds.

I haven't seen season two because, honestly, I hated season one for exactly this reason. I'm not sure I've ever watched a show with such weird, abrupt tonal shifts; episodes bounced from earnest to satirical to schmaltzy to cynical without any real sense of what the show was meant to be. Jessica Lange was hilarious but her performance was so off kilter from everyone else, it felt like she accidentally wandered in from another show.