• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The use of the English language on either side of the Atlantic

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I notice that the term "jab" seems to be prevalent in the UK (as here) but they seem to prefer "shot" in the US.
I must say that I'm becoming increasingly irritated by the word "jab". It's bad enough when referring to the act of injection (although the imagery seems unnecessarily violent) but using it as a synonym for the vaccine itself doesn't make sense to me.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was listening to an American podcast (The FiveThirtyEight Politics Podcast) and a contributor used the word "dove" (rhymes with stove) as the past tense of dive. I thought he should have said "dived" but I looked it up and what he said is correct in American English but it just sounds wrong.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was listening to an American podcast (The FiveThirtyEight Politics Podcast) and a contributor used the word "dove" (rhymes with stove) as the past tense of dive. I thought he should have said "dived" but I looked it up and what he said is correct in American English but it just sounds wrong.
I've heard that, too. It sounds strange to my Australian ears as well but, as you say, acceptable in America.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

It reminds me of the word "snuck" for the past tense of "sneak" where there's a completely different logic behind the past form compared with our "sneaked".

"Snuck" seems to be taking hold in the UK. I've heard it more and more in recent years. So I wouldn't be surprised if "dove" also creeps into our lexicon over time.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Snuck and sneaked is another good example. I hear both used here a lot. “I snuck in” or “I sneaked in.” Again I’m not sure which one is correct but I do see them both getting used.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Snuck and sneaked is another good example. I hear both used here a lot.

Oh, that's interesting. Have you noticed any kind of split in the demographic that uses it?

In general I've noticed more younger people saying "snuck" in the UK. Similar to how some younger Brits started using "gotten" at some point in the last decade, even though it hadn't been used in the UK for centuries.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can’t honestly say I’ve heard it from a specific demographic, no. It seems to be across the board, at least from what I’ve noticed anyway. But I do know what you mean, as these things do often tend to have a lot to do with age groups.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
GOAT is a perfect example of this I think. To me a goat was always an animal or someone that did something really stupid under pressure. But now goat mean “Greatest of all Time,” when referring to sports most specifically. And I think using goat in that context resonated mostly with younger people.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes the pronunciation of a word depends on the activity it describes.

If you're taking a bath, sunbathing, or perhaps posing for an art class, you are naked.

If you're up to no good, then you're nekkid. :embarrassed:

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't be surprised if "dove" also creeps into our lexicon over time.
Then there's "strove" vs "strived" as past tense of "strive". I think the former is actually more common
Sometimes the pronunciation of a word depends on the activity it describes.

If you're taking a bath, sunbathing, or perhaps posing for an art class, you are naked.

If you're up to no good, then you're nekkid. :embarrassed:
I heard something like that said on Designing Women once. I think it was Julia and Suzanne's half-brother. He said "naked" means you have no clothes on, but "nekkid" means you have no clothes on - and you're up to something. :lol:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't know if this is an American thing but I've only heard American's say it: "On accident" as opposed to "on purpose" and instead of "by accident".
I’m not really sure if this is an American thing either to be honest but I have heard it used here a few times over the years. But I would say more often than not “on purpose” or “by accident” are much more common.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It sounds strange to me to hear "on Christmas" instead of "at Christmas". It finally occurred to me that they were referring specifically to Christmas Day rather than the overall Christmas season.