Usher - Halftime Entertainment for the Super Bowl

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I managed to catch the half time entertainment during my lunch break. That performance was up there as one of the worst. All show, no substance. The guy couldn't hold a tune and mostly looked out of breath. One of my work colleagues spat out, "What is that crap?"

I'm sorry if anyone here believes that was truly good, honest, take your breath away entertainment. My ears are still recovering.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was never an Usher fan to begin with, but that was particularly abysmal.

I feel the half time shows are generally all spectacle and no substance. But then I'm not the target demographic to begin with, as I'm not into that kind of overproduced stuff.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Didn't see the game, but even if I watched, I would have changed the channel during halftime.
There used to be good performers and bands, but not in recent years

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm not a fan of American Football but I was interested to see the half time act. I thought Usher killed it. He sang all he best known songs, unlike some acts who use events like this to promote their new music. The choreography was superb and the production was visually stunning. Loved Alicia Keys duetting with him but my favourite part was the bit with Lil John . Overall, I thought it was epic.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I thought it was a really good performance myself. I’ve seen better halftime shows over the years but he seemed to be on top of his game. Alicia Keys being there definitely made it more enjoyable for me.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Every year the organizers claim that the Super Bowl is watched by almost 1 billion people, but I always wonder where they live - or if they live at all. In countries that have the same time zones as the USA, the main evening program of the big stations remains the same as usual and the Super Bowl airs on smaller channels. In Europe the Super Bowl airs in the middle of the night. Here are a few numbers from the biggest European countries:

Germany: 1,970,000 viewers
UK: 1,200,000 viewers
France: 370,000 viewers
Italy: 338,000 viewers

So if the Super Bowl doesn't reach many viewers in South America or Europe, where do these one billion viewers worldwide come from? Are people in Africa who prefer completely different sports suddenly interested in the Super Bowl? Or are there hundreds of millions of fans in China and India? Or is the NFL grossly exaggerating its global viewership numbers?

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
That is an astonishingly strong audience for a sport that isn't widely played or followed in the UK and was broadcast in the middle of the night. This compares with the most watched peak-time shows here which normally get an audience of around 7 million.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
That is an astonishingly strong audience for a sport that isn't widely played or followed in the UK and was broadcast in the middle of the night. This compares with the most watched peak-time shows here which normally get an audience of around 7 million.
This is my source of it:

In Germany, ratings for the Super Bowl have been stable in recent years. NFL targets Germany anyway, because there are still a lot of US soldiers and/or their families living in Germany and as a result some Germans have been infected with the NFL virus.

Last edited:

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Where do they get their viewing figure?? I work in a very large dept and no one watched it at all

Seems a little inflated to me!

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Australian ratings for the Superbowl: 2,547,000

This was the Number 1 rating show on Monday across all commercial networks. I'll also add the starting time was 10am and finished between 2 and 3pm when I expect most Aussies are at work. Those numbers are astonishing considering most Aussies wouldn't have a clue how the rules work.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
This is my source of it:

In Germany, ratings for the Super Bowl have been stable in recent years. NFL targets Germany anyway, because there are still a lot of US soldiers and/or their families living in Germany and as a result some Germans have been infected with the NFL virus.
You're absolutely correct. According to BARB, who collate TV ratings in the UK, the Super Bowl typically gets over a million viewers in the UK, in fact the 1.2 million that you quoted is lower than usual but that would be the initial overnight figure which will probably increase when full consolidated figures are released. I had no idea the event was that popular in the UK because that is a seriously impressive audience for that time of night.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not watching the superbowl half time show until the commanders are playing in it...I could be waiting a while
Well, you’re only waiting 32 years so far so at the very least we know you have patience. Of course it makes me feel old knowing that the last time they were in it they were called something entirely different.

Ollie james

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, you’re only waiting 32 years so far so at the very least we know you have patience. Of course it makes me feel old knowing that the last time they were in it they were called something entirely different.
Indeed different times in every respect.The name dident offend anyone back then. Its the football I find offensive and not in the attacking sense

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Indeed different times in every respect.The name dident offend anyone back then. Its the football I find offensive and not in the attacking sense
I understand what you are saying. Point of trivia. Oklahoma translates into a similar phrase.
No movement to change the name.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm hopeful that Washington will take command in the near future
Well, you’re $78,000,000 under the salary cap so this is your chance to load up on some good, young talent.

(Or just take that money and give it to Usher to perform every halftime at home games. At least then you’ll sell some tickets)

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not interested in sport but I saw the name Usher in the thread topic. To me he'll always be Raymond who did the dirty on Amber in The Bold and the Beautiful and left if for Raymond #2 to try to fix up the damage.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Usher (or his record label) cleverly released his new album the same week he performed at the Super Bowl. In that chart week, Usher sold 91,000 equivalent album units in the U.S., which meant second place in the album charts. Still, it's strange to think that of the 120 million Americans who watched Usher, less than 0.1 percent wanted his album right away.